why are the British so obsessed with sunbathing?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Despite the extreme risk of skin cancer and premature aging, the British seem to flock to the beaches to lye there and burn their skins.

Comments

• Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the extreme risk of skin cancer and premature aging, the British seem to flock to the beaches to lye there and burn their skins.

I don't think that is true. People do seem to wear sunblock when they are out in the sun. When I was a child the only time I ever wore sunblock was when I went on holiday and we didn't have the choice we now have. I think I was smeared in nivea sun cream which was factor 12.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    We have a problem in this country that people almost never apply the correct amount of sun protection lotion/spray before going out to sunbathe.

A 250ml bottle of sun lotion shouldn't last an entire year (as a lot of British bottles seem to) - it should really only cover one adult a few times at most.

I think the fact that our weather is so dreary for the majority of the year that as soon as the sun comes out some people seem to have a need/desire to spend as much time as they can in the sun - sunshine does tend to put people in a better mood.

Personally, I do like to have a bit of a tan, but as I have a lot of tattoos I also use a lot of sunscreen as I don't want them fading in the UV light, and after a skin cancer scare a few years ago I don't like to take the risk. I go through loads of bottles of sunscreen during the summer.
  • PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was 5 in the heatwave of 76. No one used suncream then. Don't know of any of my contemparies or elders who have had skin cancer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Grandmother had good skin and reason she did was because she never sunbathed and always kept out of the sun. I went through a stage of subathing a lot but then noticed I was getting a lot of freckles on my shoulders so stopped. I do sit in the sun but I wear a high protection sun lotion and I keep my face out of the sun. If I want a deep tan I use a fake tan spray.
  • Trmcg5Trmcg5 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think generally when a bit of sun comes us Brits like to go out and make the most of it. Normally it lasts a good few days and people dont think that if you dont wear the sunblock it will get as bad as skin cancer etc.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picklebum wrote: »
    Was 5 in the heatwave of 76. No one used suncream then. Don't know of any of my contemparies or elders who have had skin cancer.

Nor here. Mum would slap the Ambre Solaire on us if we were at the seaside but that was about it. I imagine that foreign holidays becoming the norm and sunbeds and whatnot mean people these days are more exposed to those rays for much longer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Nor here. Mum would slap the Ambre Solaire on us if we were at the seaside but that was about it. I imagine that foreign holidays becoming the norm and sunbeds and whatnot mean people these days are more exposed to those rays for much longer.

The first thing we did when we got on the beach was put on a straw hat. They usually had large brims and kept the sun off our heads. I don't see any children wearing them these days because they have the high factor sun creams. My Dad used to wear a shirt and tie on the beach unless he was swimming and then he would change into some trunks :D
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget that sunscreen, chip oil is the way to go for that deep tan!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because they want to look good and more attractive to others.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    The first thing we did when we got on the beach was put on a straw hat. They usually had large brims and kept the sun off our heads. I don't see any children wearing them these days because they have the high factor sun creams. My Dad used to wear a shirt and tie on the beach unless he was swimming and then he would change into some trunks :D

Lordy - you've just reminded me of a floppy green paisley fabric hat I had for the beach! And my brother, being the fair, freckled type, would have to put on a Bazooka Joe cheapo t-shirt if Mum thought he was in danger of burning. That takes me back.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Op, we don't get THAT much good weather, and when we do there is nothing better than lying on a beach getting a tan.
    I wonder if those who question this smoke? :confused:;)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,984
    Forum Member
    I like the idea of the sun, but I 'm not a fan of sitting out in it. If I do sit in the sun, it isn't for very long.
    peroquil wrote: »

:eek:
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Probably because they want to look good and more attractive to others.

Cancer and skin like a leather handbag isn't very attractive.
  • BabsefcBabsefc Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My mum and dad used to use Vaseline hair tonic. They always used to get great tans :eek::D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the risk is extreme tbh. Especially if you have dark/olive skin naturally.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When holidays abroad became common in the 60s, Olive oil was used.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    I don't think the risk is extreme tbh. Especially if you have dark/olive skin naturally.

Tell that to the sufferers of skin cancer. Even in the UK cases of skin cancer are quite high and are increasing.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Tell that to the sufferers of skin cancer. Even in the UK cases of skin cancer are quite high and are increasing.

Still getting a tan once or twice a year doesn't constitute 'extreme risk' imo.

Its like telling someone don't ride a motorbike, as people are seriously injured or killed.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People say "I just tan I never burn." They are so wrong. Their skin is being burned as soon as it changes colour.

I've had skin cancer which I believe goes back to my childhood when suncreams and lotions weren't available. We did it back to front. You burned and then got home and your Mum would put calamine lotion on you to soothe the burn. :rolleyes: Once suncreams were available I used them and I never sunbathe either. I love being out in nice weather but I always find shade to sit in, wear a hat and plenty of high factor suncream.

It really upset me the other day because I saw some tiny, tiny babies with bright red arms and feet being pushed around in their buggies. Have their parents no sense?
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

It is not just a British thing. Have you never been to Spain and seen the Spanish girls sunbathing? They tend to do so topless :p Germans, French, Dutch, Swedish, seen them all do it.

So yeah, not really a 'British thing'. I would say it is more of a woman thing though. I feel no need to sunbathe particularly, but I know a lot of women who won't leave the sun until they are dark brown (but usually burnt :p) and in winter, they're on the sunbeds or it's slop on the fake tan instead.

Not sure why they're so bothered about getting a tan to be honest? I mean, I've heard loads of guys say they like pale women, and by their thirties, they're going to look like an old prune :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Cancer and skin like a leather handbag isn't very attractive.

I know several people (old hippies) who spent their younger years living in places like Ibiza, Corfu etc and without exception they all have skin like old leather. Their wrinkles are unbelieveable.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Op, we don't get THAT much good weather, and when we do there is nothing better than lying on a beach getting a tan.
    I wonder if those who question this smoke? :confused:;)

Pretty random accusation, the anti tanners sound more like they're cut from the same cloth as anti smokers. Smokers don't care what other people do with their bodies.

I guess if the sun doesn't show up for six months or more people will flock to embrace it once it shows its face.
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What people forget is that you can still get a tan, even when you're in the shade..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    It is not just a British thing. Have you never been to Spain and seen the Spanish girls sunbathing? They tend to do so topless :p Germans, French, Dutch, Swedish, seen them all do it.

So yeah, not really a 'British thing'. I would say it is more of a woman thing though. I feel no need to sunbathe particularly, but I know a lot of women who won't leave the sun until they are dark brown (but usually burnt :p) and in winter, they're on the sunbeds or it's slop on the fake tan instead.

Not sure why they're so bothered about getting a tan to be honest? I mean, I've heard loads of guys say they like pale women, and by their thirties, they're going to look like an old prune :D

Fake tans, spray tans and the tango look are all well on the way out. It was in the papers last week.:D
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Fake tans, spray tans and the tango look are all well on the way out. It was in the papers last week.:D

I'll believe it when I don't see it!