Heart Disease DVD

-Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
Forum Member
My seven year old Staffy was diagnosed yesterday with heart disease DVD. He has been off his food for nearly a week and collapsed in the park the other day. Took him to the vets who did blood test which came back clear. Took him for a scan yesterday which confirmed his right valve is leaking causing his heart to get bigger which is crushing his wind pipe slightly. He has been coughing slightly.

Was told it's treatable but I will have to limit his exercise and not really let him off the lead any more. Was also told he will now need over £100 a month in meds which I can't really afford when the insurance runs out and he won't have the life he is used too.

Not sure now what to do for the best.

Comments

• MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry you find yourself in this situation, must be a very difficult decision.

Heart issues are not something I have any experience of personally *touch wood*, though we've had a young dog on restricted exercise after multiple orthopedic surgeries. They certainly can still live a fulfilled life without really vigorous exercise IMO, maybe focus more or mental stimulation, trick training or obedience ?
    Dogs are remarkably adaptable.

You may find you can get the meds cheaper online, if your vet will write a prescription.

I would take some time to think about it, maybe try a dog specific forum, you may find someone else with direct experience and find out how the manage it and their dogs' quality of life.

All the best xx