Capaldi's diction

Comments

• Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Peter C. But I did find some of the quieter scenes hard to follow. It might be a sound problem. I do not struggle with a Scottish accent, I come into contact with a lot of Scottish people so it is not that.
  • cctpscctps Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never had trouble understanding Amy, but I had to think about each of Peter's lines after he said it. The Americans stand no hope!
  • bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From some of his interviews and the 'be a pal' trailer, I did have concerns that Capaldi's diction would be hard to make out, mainly due to background music. But I only had a problem with probably the same two scenes that The_Judge_ mentioned above.
    I was watching on my ancient telly so it was definitely SD.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cctps wrote: »
    I never had trouble understanding Amy, but I had to think about each of Peter's lines after he said it. The Americans stand no hope!

And good luck to the rest of the world too.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll raise my hand to admit I hit the subtitles about five minutes in when the combination of delivery speed, accent and stupidly intrusive music made things difficult. My poor mum, who is a bit hard of hearing and currently has an ear infection, stood no chance.

It improved later on though.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were sound issues, but that was nothing to do with Capaldi's diction. It appears to be commonplace these days, we have these wonderful, state-of-the-art tv's, brilliant picture quality, but sound quality is often poor.
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not going to lie, I struggled to understand what 12 AND Clara were saying at some points!
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    The only two bits of dialogue I didn't understand:

When Peter reveals himself in the control room of the master droid he laughs with Jenna - thats how you hide, and then says by the way you are ?????????????

When Jenna says they should go for coffee and Peter says he doesn't have any money, Jenna says ??????????????????

I didn't get the second one either. I thought it was you don't have a vote/coat.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    The only two bits of dialogue I didn't understand:

When Peter reveals himself in the control room of the master droid he laughs with Jenna - thats how you hide, and then says by the way you are ?????????????

When Jenna says they should go for coffee and Peter says he doesn't have any money, Jenna says ??????????????????

"See Clara - that's how you disguise yourself as a droid! Yeah, sorry about that... actually, I'm not. You're brilliant on adrenaline... and you're out of your depth, sir. Never try and control a control freak."

"You're buying."
    "I don't have any money."
    "You're fetching, then."
    "I don't think I'm the fetching sort."
    "Yeah... still don't think you get a vote."
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    HD sounded more blurred than SD

Strangely - I found it the other way round. Started watching in SD and changed to HD after the phone rang.

That's not the question. The question is why I didn't unplug the phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    i had this issue also, watched in hd, sounded very muffly,seemed there was no base to it either, had to turn up quite a bit to hear them talking and then still missed a few bits
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    "See Clara - that's how you disguise yourself as a droid! Yeah, sorry about that... actually, I'm not. You're brilliant on adrenaline... and you're out of your depth, sir. Never try and control a control freak."

"You're buying."
    "You're fetching, then."

I'm honestly surprised the Daily Mail did not run with this line and use it as BBC slagging of the Scottish independence vote.

However I had no issue with the sound, perhaps its due to the settings I have on my tv but thats all I think it could be.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the first 15 minutes difficult to understand at times, but I think I have a thing where it takes me a while to tune in properly to different voices/accents/shows. I sometimes have the same at the theatre - struggled at The Crucible at the Old Vic last week but was fine after a few minutes.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised the Daily Mail did not run with this line and use it as BBC slagging of the Scottish independence vote.

It's not exactly slagging off, it's more of a yes vote propaganda. 'The English don't let the Scottish have a say, so better go for independence then' type of thing. Also, Moffat is Scottish so it's a non-story really.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was only one line I couldn't hear. When he was on the bridge after the dinosaur combusted. When he was saying what the question is. I rewound it and heard it the second time.

I think it was just the speed of that line.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It did seem like there were problems with it.
    I had to turn my telly and amp sound up an extra 5 so have what my normal 'movie' sound level is and this was on BBC HD.
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I usually have my tv volume at 8-10 and I can hear it fine. I had to turn this up to 22. There was definitely an issue with the sound levels being too quiet.
    snopaelic wrote: »
    I think there was sound issues. Although, admittedly i am a bit deaf i struggled hear a few lines of Clara dialogue on 5 bars up from normal
    There were sound issues, but that was nothing to do with Capaldi's diction. It appears to be commonplace these days, we have these wonderful, state-of-the-art tv's, brilliant picture quality, but sound quality is often poor.
    That's what I found. It seemed to be an overall sound problem.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"You're buying."
    "You're fetching, then."

Thanks CD93 :)
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I struggled a bit too and I am Scottish. Whatever happened I only had sound coming out two of my speakers then just before the end titles it made a clicking noise and jumped to Digital 5.1 !! I never have luck with BBC HD and their 5.1 sound.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't have any problem understanding PC, except for a few moments when he was speaking in a quiet deep voice and there was a lot of music going on. He has more of a man's rumble going on than any of the previous three Doctors.

I did struggle a couple of times with Clara, mainly because JC's style is to speak in bursts of fast staccato and the underlying soundtrack tends to drown things.
  • cold_as_stonecold_as_stone Posts: 172
    Forum Member

"You're buying."
    "You're fetching, then."

I had recorded the episode. I had to switch on the subtitles at this point.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    No problem with hearing it but he does speak in a slurred way.
    Indistinct consonants.
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found I had more of a problem with the broadcast copy of the dialog. Once I listen to the iTunes copy, the sound was much clearer and the dialog was much snapper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching it now on repeat on BBC3 and can hear and understand him clearly; so, it seems they have heeded the criticism and adjusted the sound levels, so that all his dialogue is clear.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Well I suffer from bad Tinnitus!! And I heard it quite well....I assume some of you have BAD TV reception - or crappy Tv's!! Get your gear sorted out!!:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Even in a clip for tomorrow's episode that they've uploaded to Youtube I'm having trouble understanding him...