Options

directx help needed for windows xp

jantjant Posts: 1,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a windows xp 32 bit pc, which has directx9 installed on it. My problem is, I also need directx 11 to enable me to play one of my pc games. Microsoft website says they can only download directx11 via windows updates, which I no longer get. Help! :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried the above link, but got the message 'directx has determined that a newer or equivalent version of directx has been installed already. No installation required. My problem is, I need both directx9 and directx11 to play this game.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    XP only supports up to DirectX 9c. If you need anything later than that you need to upgrade your Windows to a later version.

Are you certain the game actually requires DX11? Unless things have changed recently many games will run under older versions but with more basic graphics. Though having said that if its a very recent title it may not run on XP at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    XP only supports up to DirectX 9c. If you need anything later than that you need to upgrade your Windows to a later version.

Are you certain the game actually requires DX11? Unless things have changed recently many games will run under older versions but with more basic graphics. Though having said that if its a very recent title it may not run on XP at all.
    Thank you for your imput. Looks like I'll have to admit defeat on this one then :(
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not just the DirectX 11 driver you also need a Graphics Card capable of DirectX 11 i.e. hardware as well.
    Windows XP is too old and only goes to the DirectX 9.0c driver and your graphics card might be the same.

Some games can run, or are compatible with lower versions of DirectX capable hardware with less features enabled, but that varies a lot you have to look at specifics for a particular game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    It is not just the DirectX 11 driver you also need a Graphics Card capable of DirectX 11 i.e. hardware as well.
    Windows XP is too old and only goes to the DirectX 9.0c driver and your graphics card might be the same.

Some games can run, or are compatible with lower versions of DirectX capable hardware with less features enabled, but that varies a lot you have to look at specifics for a particular game.

Thank you for this added info. I'm one of the 'oldies' on this forum, but I'm learning so much from you clever guys. Thanks again :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jant wrote: »
    Thank you for this added info. I'm one of the 'oldies' on this forum, but I'm learning so much from you clever guys. Thanks again :)

If I could offer one piece of salient advice, it would be to upgrade your PC. Almost anything you do learn will be that you can't do it.