Adam Ant is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
Forum Member
is a top album. He's back on form with a great authentic sounding album full of great tracks. Highly recommended.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE Adam Ant's music, and I really hope his album does well because it deserves to;)
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw him on breakfast tv last week...i liked his song/vid they showed...great updated look and sound.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend is really big on Adam and played this for me. I'm more of a casual fan. I liked some of the songs. He's still does the same style of music he used to, he didn't try to change and fit into today's music scene which was good. But I felt some of the tracks sounded like unfinished demos. I would have enjoyed it more if they had been a little more polished and more professionally produced. It seems like it's more an album for hard core fans rather than the more general casual audience who just like a few of his bigger hits.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in to Adam Ant in a huge, huge way when I was at school. Had all of his stuff on vinyl, and all the stuff with the Ants as well. Even managed to track down a vinyl copy of the Dirk Wears White Sox album as well.

Had the 7 inch version of Ant Rap with the advent calendar cover, which I proceeded to ruin because I opened all of the windows :)

I'm actually listening to the 'Hussar' album as I type this and it's .. horrible .. just horrible.

Some of the lyrics make it sound like a novelty record in places - hardmentoughblokes being one such example.

I will try again though, but on first impressions, I must confess that I hate it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    It's a throwback to his post-punk sound before he went more pop. It's more like his 'Dirk' era. It's not a bad album at all. 17 tracks wittled down to a good 10 might have been the way to go though. The demo sounding stuff doesn't bother me too much, his expanded versions of his 'classic' albums are loaded with them.

This album is about his psyche in some aspects, therefore it has substance. Certainly an interesting listen. 7/10
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem for me is that he is vocally quite weak nowadays. You get brief bursts of the "old" Adam Ant, but his voice now really isn't good.

Listened to the rest of the album and it's just as bad. I will give it another go down the line because of the fact it's him, but first impressions really haven't been good at all.