Options

The 'roll-eye' emoticon.

13»

Comments

• Options
    thapthapthapthap Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its generally used by people who think that they have some form of divine insight into all wisdom.
    The flaw being that in reality 12 seconds after their post has passed your eyes it is forgotten and no longer is a single **** given about their divine gift.

Rather than rolls-eyes it should be renamed (t)rolls-eyes.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like it. I don't share the pompous aversion to emoticons that some have.
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The emoticons in general are pretty annoying imo, especially the "roll eye" one.

A few minutes ago I found it is easy to block all of them.

I use Chrome with Ad Block Plus (free if anybody hasn't heard of it - it also stops all adverts on Youtube videos etc).

I just right-clicked the offending emoticon and selected 'Block Element'. I think this can be done with Chrome/Firefox even without Ad Block Plus installed.

Now I don't have to see that irritating little face again.

If only it was so simple in real life to stop seeing irritating little faces.

Cheers.
  • Options
    ABCWarriorABCWarrior Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The emoticons in general are pretty annoying imo, especially the "roll eye" one.

A few minutes ago I found it is easy to block all of them.

I use Chrome with Ad Block Plus (free if anybody hasn't heard of it - it also stops all adverts on Youtube videos etc).

I just right-clicked the offending emoticon and selected 'Block Element'. I think this can be done with Chrome/Firefox even without Ad Block Plus installed.

Now I don't have to see that irritating little face again.

If only it was so simple in real life to stop seeing irritating little faces.

Cheers.

Brillliant! No more of that eye-rolling little c**t, yay!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smilies are used by the same sort of person that over uses exclamation marks. It hurts my head reading a post littered with :rolleyes:!!!!!! such crap.

I use them a lot though. I just find it really useful to give expression to a post. But there is a time and a place. I don't litter simple, factual posts with smilies; I think :rolleyes: looks aggressive, and I only use it if I do genuinely want to look aggressive, which would be if I think someone is just being abusive and baiting.

:D Is a nice gesture of appreciation if someone has made you laugh. It just has more character than 'lol' or 'that made me laugh'. :) Is perfectly good at expressing happiness, eg "I couldn't be more pleased :)". Surely only a curmudgeon would object to that? I quite like the vomiting one, though it is sliiiiiiiiiiightly off centre, however you do it.

:eek:
    /|\
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,849
    Forum Member
    I just laugh at posts directed at me with them in. The thought of aggrevating someone so much they feeled compelled to use old Rolly, fills me with immense pride.
    You think it's about aggravating you? Oh dear....you know what an eyeroll is in real life = a dismissive look that's all.
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,849
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    Usually used by people who know that the point they have been challenged about was rub USB so they try to be patronising
    Er no....usually used by those who can't believe the idiocy of the post they are addressing. (I'll use restraint here!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    You think it's about aggravating you? Oh dear....you know what an eyeroll is in real life = a dismissive look that's all.

No I did not say that.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a designer, I view them as a modern day version of illuminated manuscript. Ha! That will annoy the purists. :p

Seriously, I can't see the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The baiter's friend.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Never used the rollyeyes. I find words work better.