Options

Edward Snowden

Comments

• Options
    HarumphHarumph Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now before you retort, the Chair of the Tax select committee is one Margret Hodge. Lab.

An estimated 20 to 100 million in estimated offshore accounts, held in trusts and private investment accounts from her family interests in mining operations, including blood diamonds.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harumph wrote: »
    He signed the American equivalent of the Official Secrets Act. He breached that. That makes him a traitor.

Why do people like you think like this?

They are just words on a bit of paper. Meaningless.

If the officials secrets act told you to jump of a cliff, would you? If the law told you that you had to kill your own mother, would you?

His actions are the exact opposite of those of a traitor, as long as you remember the people he was working for were American citizens.

His formal employer may have been the NSA, but the work they do is conducted in the name of regular, ordinary American citizens, for the benefit of said citizens.

I mean, come on!

Surely the NSA and the US government are the ones here who have betrayed their own people? Doesn't that make them the traitors? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Why do people like you think like this?

They are just words on a bit of paper. Meaningless.

If the officials secrets act told you to jump of a cliff, would you? If the law told you that you had to kill your own mother, would you?

His actions are the exact opposite of those of a traitor, as long as you remember the people he was working for were American citizens.

His formal employer may have been the NSA, but the work they do is conducted in the name of regular, ordinary American citizens, for the benefit of said citizens.

I mean, come on!

Surely the NSA and the US government are the ones here who have betrayed their own people? Doesn't that make them the traitors? :confused:

If you sign a contract you agree to abide by that.
    The guy that I replaced was prosecuted for breach of contract, he'll never have a decent job again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member

Yes they are, only Tories who leak are apparently not traitors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You also must accept that Snowdon has admitted publicly that it was his intention in applying for, and securing his job with NSA to expose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Snowdon was the great Hero, he would not be begging for asylum and would fly back and defend his actions in open court and take responsibility like a man.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Snowdon was the great Hero, he would not be begging for asylum and would fly back and defend his actions in open court and take responsibility like a man.

Dwight Wright, I mean quite right. Or not. Sorry. :o
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you sign a contract you agree to abide by that.
    The guy that I replaced was prosecuted for breach of contract, he'll never have a decent job again.

But who cares? What your talking about are minor issues in the grand scheme of things. Besides which, most contracts are meaningless and worthless. And what's more: I'd happily break a contract if it was morally right to do so. Morals are more important than laws :)

Some commentators have speculated Edward Snowdens actions may have prevented the USA from becoming a full-blown police state one day.
    You also must accept that Snowdon has admitted publicly that it was his intention in applying for, and securing his job with NSA to expose.

Did he? Do you have a source for this?

I read a bio on him before and I don't recall seeing anything which said he got the NSA job with the intention of leaking!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Governments are elected to serve the people and when they do immoral acts against their own people then they should be exposed. Edward Snowden is not a traitor and is the opposite. He did his duty to the people of his country who elect these tyrants unknowingly to take away their rights and liberties. I don't blame snowden for escaping though because the US has a terrible record on human rights. It's not unknown for the US to use to torture and perhaps they'd even give him the death sentence.
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaveMan wrote: »
    Governments are elected to serve the people and when they do immoral acts against their own people then they should be exposed. Edward Snowden is not a traitor and is the opposite. He did his duty to the people of his country who elect these tyrants unknowingly to take away their rights and liberties. I don't blame snowden for escaping though because the US has a terrible record on human rights. It's not unknown for the US to use to torture and perhaps they'd even give him the death sentence.

Trying to uncover terrorism plots before they happen can hardly be described as an immoral act. People expect the intelligence services to protect them yet some are denying them one of the best tools to do so.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »
    Trying to uncover terrorism plots before they happen can hardly be described as an immoral act. People expect the intelligence services to protect them yet some are denying them one of the best tools to do so.

Are they expecting to be terrorised by the EU or members of the G8? The 'war on terror' has led to governments giving themselves permission to snoop in all sorts of places they're not allowed to, legally or morally.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I doubt he'd face 'justice' if he were returned, more likely a show trial.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he should return to face justice as what he did was wrong (even if we do agree its morally correct) but he should get a fair trial where he can be judged by his peers.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    He should be granted asylum - preferably by a country that is able to protect him from the very long arm of American "justice".

I hope the Americans have the decency to word the arraignment documents which are no doubt already prepared that he was "spying on behalf of the people of the world".

For that is what it was.
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Some commentators have speculated Edward Snowdens actions may have prevented the USA from becoming a full-blown police state one day.
    Yeah, right.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the third option...send him home to his parents where they can ground him and he can live out his days in the basement perfecting his magic pixie avatar & slaying virtual reality dragons.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps he did it because he doesn't think he will get a fair and open trial. I don't blame him.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've already posted earlier in the thread, the USA has a recent track record of denying open legal access to those it considers traitors, be that by internment or under guise of court martial. Snowden cannot expect a fair trial. The whole behaviour of the US security apparatus towards other nations over this matter proves just how much they believe rules don't have to apply in their case.

Or is the temporary impounding of diplomatic jets containing elected Presidents of other sovereign states OK with you?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The impounding of diplomatic plane is as 'hearts and minds' losing as all those drones, maybe more aptly known as 'death machines' by propaganda station RT.

Imagine if someone in Sweden had to die because the US drone death machine thinks an enemy is next door to your house.
    It would certainly be an act of war in that case.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    But who cares? What your talking about are minor issues in the grand scheme of things. Besides which, most contracts are meaningless and worthless. And what's more: I'd happily break a contract if it was morally right to do so. Morals are more important than laws :)

To say a contract is meaningless is absurd. Breaking a contract is legally and morally wrong and if you are prepared to do that then you mustn't complain when you get prosecuted.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Face a firing squad.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    To say a contract is meaningless is absurd. Breaking a contract is legally and morally wrong and if you are prepared to do that then you mustn't complain when you get prosecuted.

Boston and Chicago in their day had plenty of contracts.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    'Our' spies are brave and dedicated individuals.

'Their' spies are two faced conniving low life rats.

We give medals to ours and shoot theirs.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Bungitin wrote: »
    'Our' spies are brave and dedicated individuals.

'Their' spies are two faced conniving low life rats.

We give medals to ours and shoot theirs.

A whistle blower tells us what others have done wrong
    A traitor tells others what we have done wrong
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He signed the American equivalent of the Official Secrets Act. He breached that. That makes him a traitor.

One man's traitor ...

Biography of George Washington
    ... In April 1775, electrifying news came from the North. Local militias from towns around Boston had engaged British troops at Lexington and Concord. When Washington rode to the Second Continental Congress a month later, there was talk that he might be named commander of all the colonial forces. Washington, his confidence weakened by the misadventures against the French and Native Americans, resisted the appointment. But he was the natural choice for several reasons: he was still considered a hero from the French and Indian War; at forty-three, he was old enough to lead but young enough to withstand the rigors of the battlefield; and northerners hoped a general from Virginia would help draw the reluctant South into the conflict. Above all, the leadership and charisma of the tall, quiet, stately Virginian was unsurpassed. Washington did not attend the congressional session that took the vote for the army's command. He was the last of its members to know that he had been chosen—by a unanimous vote. He refused a salary and told the Congress, "I beg it may be remembered that I, this day, declare with the utmost sincerity, I do not think myself equal to the command I am honored with."
    In accepting command of colonial forces, George Washington had crossed a deadly serious line. In the eyes of the English, he was now leading an armed insurrection against King George III. He was a traitor, and if the rebellion failed, he would soon find a rope around his neck.

America's first president could have ended up being hanged as a traitor.