Why was nobody wearing the World Aids Day Ribbon?

JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
Forum Member
Kind of disrespectful I think. Considering we get poppies for a month, would it have killed them to wear a ribbon for an incredibly important occasion for one night?

Why is it that if you go on the BBC in November you're forced to wear a poppy, but not on World Aids Day? Millions are being killed by this disease and it needs attention brought to it.

It's the one thing The X Factor's actually done right.

Comments

• Sho NuffSho Nuff Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that it was a regrettable oversight, with the results show being recorded last night. I bet someone gets a telling off. It certainly should have been acknowledged.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a piss-take thread, or serious? :o
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I wasn't looking for one, but with all the swooshing camerawork, it would have been hard to see if anyone were.
    Even then, most people wouldn't have a clue what it was for, so it would have been a bit pointless.
  • JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I don't know, I wasn't looking for one, but with all the swooshing camerawork, it would have been hard to see if anyone were.
    Even then, most people wouldn't have a clue what it was for, so it would have been a bit pointless.

Not pointless at all. Perhaps it would bring some more attention to it, if people didn't know what it was they could google "red ribbon" and they'd be told about the cause.

It's not a pointless exercise, it's a very important day.
    Forum Member
    Sho Nuff wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that it was a regrettable oversight, with the results show being recorded last night. I bet someone gets a telling off. It certainly should have been acknowledged.

There was a furor over it last year, surprised they've done it again. Especially considering one of their pro dancers is openly gay and a campaigner, and the nature of Strictly in general.

Hopefully they'll sort it next year.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JohnQuig wrote: »
    There was a furor over it last year, surprised they've done it again. Especially considering one of their pro dancers is openly gay and a campaigner, and the nature of Strictly in general.

Hopefully they'll sort it next year.

Well, it must have been a rather quiet "furore" as I didn't hear about it.
    I'm sure they could wear a ribbon for some good cause every week.
    But obviously the BBC weren't that interested. They like the public tend to choose the charities they support. The BBC support quite a few.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it must have been a rather quiet "furore" as I didn't hear about it.
    I'm sure they could wear a ribbon for some good cause every week.
    But obviously the BBC weren't that interested. They like the public tend to choose the charities they support. The BBC support quite a few.

Indeed they could:

Week 1 World Rabies Day
    Week 2 World Teachers Day
    Week 3 (Results) International Day for Disaster Reduction...

...and so it goes on.
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Indeed they could:

Week 1 World Rabies Day
    Week 2 World Teachers Day
    Week 3 (Results) International Day for Disaster Reduction...

...and so it goes on.

Except AIDs kills millions of people every year. It's not a fluff day, it's important and needs more attention.

If X Factor can do it, why not Strictly?
  • jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    There is a World Hug Day and an National Hug Day, World Toilet Day , World Consumer Rights Day, World Sparrow Day, International Jazz Day, Star Wars Day, World Vegan Day, Towel Day, International Tiger Day, International Lefthanders Day and many many more.

Strictly along with the rest of the county shows respect for Armistice Day but it is not a political program and not really the right place for crusades even something as important as World Aids Day.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of disrespectful I think. Considering we get poppies for a month, would it have killed them to wear a ribbon for an incredibly important occasion for one night?

Why is it that if you go on the BBC in November you're forced to wear a poppy, but not on World Aids Day? Millions are being killed by this disease and it needs attention brought to it.

There is no comparison between your chosen events.

The red poppy is symbol acknowledging the supreme sacrifice made by millions of brave men and women.

How could possibly compare that to World Aids Day.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was filmed yesterday so it wasn't World Aids Day then. Besides it is quite a recent idea compared to the poppy.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    It was not World Aids Day when the show was filmed.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    Except AIDs kills millions of people every year. It's not a fluff day, it's important and needs more attention.

because Strictly don't do their results show live like X-Factor so it was filmed yesterday when it wasn't World Aids Day
    Forum Member
    because Strictly don't do their results show live like X-Factor so it was filmed yesterday when it wasn't World Aids Day

That's no excuse, they also didn't film their remembrance sunday show on Sunday but we were treated to a whole VT about it and everyone made mention of it.

It's just the BBC picking and choosing as usual. I'll be drafting a letter.
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remembrance Day is a day of national commemoration of the sacrifice made by millions on behalf of the country in time of war. Understandably, as the UK's public service broadcaster and the channel which broadcasts the national service of remembrance, the BBC has a role to play hence the majority of its employees wearing poppies. Without that sacrifice, it's unlikely any of us would have the freedom to sit at our keyboards mithering over a light entertainment dancing show :rolleyes:

As admirable as the sentiment behind World Aids Day is, it is only one of a number of days/events/time periods designated to raise awareness of a plethora of illnesses and medical conditions. It would be impracticable for the BBC to mark all of them, and potentially disrespectful to choose any one of these over another.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    Remembrance Day is a day of national commemoration of the sacrifice made by millions on behalf of the country in time of war. Understandably, as the UK's public service broadcaster and the channel which broadcasts the national service of remembrance, the BBC has a role to play hence the majority of its employees wearing poppies. Without that sacrifice, it's unlikely any of us would have the freedom to sit at our keyboards mithering over a light entertainment dancing show :rolleyes:

As admirable as the sentiment behind World Aids Day is, it is only one of a number of days/events/time periods designated to raise awareness of a plethora of illnesses and medical conditions. It would be impracticable for the BBC to mark all of them, and potentially disrespectful to choose any one of these over another.

Very good point and very well written DeltaBlues
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's no excuse, they also didn't film their remembrance sunday show on Sunday but we were treated to a whole VT about it and everyone made mention of it.

It isn't, the BBC picking and choosing. It is you - World Aids Day obviously is important to you and so you are personally offended that Strictly isn't participating in it. In general Armistice day is the only time that the BBC supports any cause but it is hardly controversial.
    Forum Member

I didn't see people outside Sainsbury's for 2 weeks selling ribbons .The first I have heard about it being World Aids day was you whingeing on about it.

Take your moans to the organisers to get their message over better next year.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Remembrance Day is a much more important day to commemorate and just about universally observed in the UK.

I certainly would never wear one of the ribbons.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Remembrance Day is a much more important day to commemorate and just about universally observed in the UK.

I certainly would never wear one of the ribbons.

Do you think I care if you do or not? Remembrance Day IS NOT more important than any other charity. People choose to be soldiers, people across the globe do not choose to get AIDs.
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er....in the First and Second World Wars my grandfathers didn't have a choice. Conscription.
    Forum Member
    Do you think I care if you do or not? Remembrance Day IS NOT more important than any other charity. People choose to be soldiers, people across the globe do not choose to get AIDs.

Are you for real, what a stupid reply
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So do many other diseases, some kill more. Why should this one get particular recognition over them?
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John, with respect, learn your history. Thousands of the soldiers who died in the wars commemorated by Remembrance Day were conscripted. They had no choice. Thousands more joined up not because it was a cushy career path or a well-paid job, but because they genuinely saw it as the right thing to do to fight the rising tide of fascism and oppression.

You do yourself no credit by belittling or disrespecting the men and women who gave their lives to preserve democratic freedoms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost every family in the UK has been touched by warfare in the last century, especially by the two world wars; so I'd say that to most of us Remembrance Day is more important.

People die every day from a large number of disease, not just Aids. How can the BBC, which is supposed to be impartial, single out one to support?

And before you refer back to their coverage leading up to and including 11th November, it is a national event and therefore covered by all of the media not just the BBC.

PS: like other posters, I didn't even know that it was World Aids Day until you started this thread.
This discussion has been closed.