Options

Is the rape of a 90 year old woman so shocking because of her age?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://news.sky.com/story/1289217/90-year-old-dragged-off-street-and-raped

If we heard that a 19 year old woman was raped would we be as shocked? Is this reaction wrong?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a natural instinct to 'feel' something more if you can identify/empathise with the victim or the victim is from one of the more vulnerable sections of society elderly/children that we are almost programmed to respect or protect. I also think the more difficult to understand a crime the more it jolts or shocks us.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's more shocking due to her age. Just as the rape of a 9 year old, or a seriously disabled person would be more shocking.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it's more shocking due to her age. Just as the rape of a 9 year old, or a seriously disabled person would be more shocking.

^ this, its about the additional vulnerability of the victim. Rape is terrible anyway but when the victim is particularly vulnerable it makes it more shocking.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't shock me more, but it does make me angrier. I tend to feel this way about any act that harms a vulnerable person - elderly, child, person with a disability, etc.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The added vulnerability makes it more shocking I think. Not that it necessarily should. Rape is rape after all and horrific whatever the age of the victim.

Also, some people do often wrongly question rape and victim blame. Which they probably wouldn't in this case.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^ This.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some sick people in this world.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Yes it is shocking.

Although obviously all rape and sexual violence is wrong regardless of age.

I think I recall an elderly woman being raped and not long after dying from it so I suppose with the age of the person they are at greater risk of death by it from the trauma.
  • Options
    ThatJoshThatJosh Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's definitely more shocking. You would have thought a person couldn't get be so awful, but people just continue to surprise us.. :(
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    Yes it is shocking.

Although obviously all rape and sexual violence is wrong regardless of age.

I think I recall an elderly woman being raped and not long after dying from it so I suppose with the age of the person they are at greater risk of death by it from the trauma.

Exactly. Surely it takes a certain level of sickness for rape to even enter someone's head. For them to do it to a 90-year-old woman is proof they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near another human being. Dogs have been put down for less, and these people should be treated in similar fashion.
  • Options
    VelvetIdiotVelvetIdiot Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I personally think it is equally shocking no matter who the victim is due to the severity of what has been done. :mad:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just when you think humanity couldn't sink any lower, something like this happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Surely it takes a certain level of sickness for rape to even enter someone's head. For them to do it to a 90-year-old woman is proof they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near another human being. Dogs have been put down for less, and these people should be treated in similar fashion.

Yes I'm inclined to agree.

Rapists often get somewhat ridiculous sentences, out in 5 years or whatever when really they should be getting 20 years to life imprisonment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    ^ this, its about the additional vulnerability of the victim. Rape is terrible anyway but when the victim is particularly vulnerable it makes it more shocking.

I concur.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Poor woman. I hope she gets over this ordeal soon. I can't wait to see the digusting low-life that did this.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is one sick sadistic puppy...no words

All rape is shocking whoever it happens to...saying this is more shocking is lessening the crime in other circumstances as if it is mitigated by not being the most shocking IMO I would substitute more shocking for sicker
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And lets see what the wonderful CPS/judicial system come up with when they catch him...you now the CPS who were presented with evidence of brutal attack on a dementia patient in a care home by the careworker as outlined in Pime Ministers Questions today in parliament and decided not to prosecute because it "wasnt in the public interest"

Irresponsible MUPPETS....if that iSNT in the public interest wtf is???

>:(
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    Yes I'm inclined to agree.

Rapists often get somewhat ridiculous sentences, out in 5 years or whatever when really they should be getting 20 years to life imprisonment.

So many of them re-offend as well. A sorry state of affairs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So many of them re-offend as well. A sorry state of affairs.

Yeah they definitely need to increase sentencing.

Keep them in jail and they won't re-offend.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    This similarly horrific one got an indeterminate sentence with a minimum of, wait for it........... 4 years and 9 months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8495749.stm

although the judge said he'd probably serve significantly longer.
  • Options
    VelvetIdiotVelvetIdiot Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    If the UK still had the death penalty, I would be happy for the rapist to be hung for what they did! :mad:
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    now this has gone nationwide the cops had better be sure they checked her state and story properly, because now and then demented people abscond from care homes in a confused state...
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/story/1289217/90-year-old-dragged-off-street-and-raped

If we heard that a 19 year old woman was raped would we be as shocked? Is this reaction wrong?

I actually did think hearing the news earlier that all rape is shocking. I think the fact that it's unusual (but not unheard of) for it to be an elderly lady and the trauma could have a bigger effect on her physical health makes it seem worse. That said a young or younger person being raped has to spend the rest of their entire life finding a way of coming to terms and getting over a most horrific act!
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Any rape (male or female) is truly horrific but I think cases like this hit home harder because we can't help but think 'this could have been my mother/grandmother'.

Thankfully this kind of incident is very unusual, my thoughts go out to poor victim and her family and I just hope that when the bastard is caught that the most severe penalty possible is handed down.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His time for entering prison will be nearing. Fancy dragging a female off the street and raping them. Crazy.