Options

Don't call your wife fat - that's Domestic Abuse!

EddietheEagleEddietheEagle Posts: 194
Forum Member
Loved reading this piece in today's Mail online, regarding the Labour party's intention to expand the definition of domestic violence, or abuse as it's now fashionably termed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2734600/Husbands-constantly-criticise-wives-weight-guilty-domestic-abuse-says-Labour-shadow-minister.html

Another vote-winning initiative from Labour, or plain stupid?.

Comments

• Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would 'sylphlike challenged' be ok?
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved reading this piece in today's Mail online, regarding the Labour party's intention to expand the definition of domestic violence, or abuse as it's now fashionably termed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2734600/Husbands-constantly-criticise-wives-weight-guilty-domestic-abuse-says-Labour-shadow-minister.html

do you think calling your wife fat would be abuse, or would it be part of a far bigger controlling behaviour of the husband.

What are your thoughts as I would say calling your partner fat wouldn't ever get you arrested unless you also spent years destroying that person psychologically prior to it.

It's not easy for some women to get out of relationships, no matter how easy people say it should be.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    And women who call their husbands fat.......?

It seems too many feminists, especially the ones in Labour only want equality when it suits them.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say women are at least as critical of their husbands, so why is she not talking about partners in general rather than making it gender specific?
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it is easy to sneer at but I can see what they are getting at.
    I have known men who constantly criticise their partners appearance, choice of friends etc. etc. It totally undermines you as a person. I knew one woman who was not allowed friends to visit - or even allowed to speak to them when at home. You had to contact her on her mobile while she was out of the house. :confused:
    You wonder why people put up with it. But I suppose it's similar, in that respect, to cases of physical abuse. Before anyone says anything, I know that men can suffer it too. I never did understand why my father put up with what he did.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wife: "Does my bum look big in this?"
    Husband: "On the advice of my lawyer I cannot answer that question."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I'd say women are at least as critical of their husbands, so why is she not talking about partners and making it gender specific?

She did slip into 'partner' mode but soon got back on message. I want to know if taking up all the wardrobe space could be an indication of demeaning men's appearance. Apparently all kids will have mandatory sex education in state schools under Labour so boys will all be taught about how to address women properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Husband: "No but it looks big on your bum."

There you go.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    If it's an ongoing campaign of verbal and emotional harrassment, then yes it's abusive.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Husband: "On the advice of my lawyer I cannot answer that question."

First thing I thought of. :D

"Does my bum look big in this dress?"

"Could you ring the Labour party and get permission from Harriet Harman for me to answer dear!.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

What if I don't disagree with her that she is fat when she says she is (I usually do there is no way you could describe my better half as fat)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's an ongoing campaign of verbal and emotional harrassment, then yes it's abusive.

Does it include constant 'nagging'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it include constant 'nagging'?

Not if it is for leaving the toliet seat up. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this include all comments about parts of the male and female body and its performance?

Some people (women and men) seem to think it free season to mock parts of their partners body, it's performance, quite often with their mates.
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never call my wife fat. My mother-in-law on the other hand!
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this include all comments about parts of the male and female body and its performance?

Some people (women and men) seem to think it free season to mock parts of their partners body, it's performance, quite often with their mates.

OOPS touched a nerve has it, SORRY couldn't resist :D

there are all kinds of "abuse" and name calling might not seem much to most of us, but we aren't all the same person, some people's feelings are very easily hurt, and others don't really care about a bit of name calling, I am certain that if I was to call my beloved and gorgeous and wonderful partner "fat" she would quite soon make me understand the mistake I had just made.

I can't see anywhere in the report by the 'unbiased' (and getting more desperate by the day) Daily hate Mail, where it says that Labour intend to make calling your wife fat a crime or that it in itself is "domestic abuse" despite the instant spin put on it by our increasingly desperate Tory supporting chums,
    lets have a look shall we?
    Husbands who tell their wives they're fat may be guilty of domestic abuse, says Labour shadow minister
    "MAY" one little tiny word, and as a result it can so easily be missed, or .... ignored,
    She said abuse can be 'part of a pattern of controlling behaviour' at home
    Criticising a woman’s appearance could be an 'indicator of physical abuse'
    Ah, so, no sign of calling the missus fat being made a crime or even being seen as "abuse" in itself then?
    Husbands who constantly criticise their wives over their weight or appearance may be guilty of domestic abuse, a Labour frontbencher has suggested.

Seema Malhotra, Labour’s new shadow anti domestic violence minister, said such abuse could be part of a wider pattern of ‘controlling behaviour’ which can be as bad as a physical attack.

any sign of anyone from Labour saying "calling someone will become a crime" yet?
    Ms Malhotra said she was not talking about arguments between couples or snide remarks made in anger, but a wider pattern of behaviour which leads to abuse.
    She told the Times that that domestic abuse ‘affects women and men of all backgrounds — rich and poor, white and black and ethnic minority’ and needed to be tackled. But she said it was often misunderstood.

All of the "what about men then?" lot should read the link.

As the partner of a wonderful woman who put up with years of emotional as well as physical abuse from her former husband, I know first hand what a devastating effect it can have on some peoples lives,
    Calling your partner "fat" is all about context if it's in fun or light hearted, for example some couples have the kind of relationship in which 'banter' or 'taking the p*ss' out of each other plays a significant part, I think most of us will 'poke fun' at our partners at some point,
    it's when it is meant in an intentionally hurtful and abusive way and happens frequently, that it is an indicator that 'all is not well' in the relationship.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wife: "My hair's a mess, my skin's getting wrinkled and my bum's getting fat - why don't you pay me a compliment?"

Husband: "Your eyesight's perfect!" :D
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she calls herself fat, is that self-abuse?
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is this gender specific?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the Daily Mail doesn't claim that.
    Daily Mail wrote:
    Husbands who tell their wives they're fat may be guilty of domestic abuse, says Labour shadow minister...

...She said abuse can be 'part of a pattern of controlling behaviour' at home

And that's just in the headline

BTW what do you think of Theresa May's consultation on the same subject will ask ask whether the law needs to be strengthened in order to provide better protection to domestic abuse victims by spelling out that domestic abuse can be emotional and psychological as well as physical.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a fat cow, fat cows are sexy...moo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the rate we're going, at least half the population could become criminalised. Women's Aid will then claim that a man is more likely to be abusive than not.

And how will such 'abuse' be evidenced in court to convict when by its very nature we're in a 'he said, she said' situation with no signs of any physical abuse?

What about mothers who indulge in parental alienation and turn their children against their natural fathers? That's nasty intra-family psychological abuse in its own right.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the rate we're going, at least half the population could become criminalised. Women's Aid will then claim that a man is more likely to be abusive than not.
    So you are for mentally and psychologically abusing women as long as you don't bruise them.
    And how will such 'abuse' be evidenced in court to convict when by its very nature we're in a 'he said, she said' situation with no signs of any physical abuse?
    You don't need bruises to prove abuse. There are other ways of proving it - indeed the examples given by Theresa May show how it can be done
    What about mothers who indulge in parental alienation and turn their children against their natural fathers? That's nasty intra-family psychological abuse in its own right.
    So you are for parental alienation as you are against extending the law on abuse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if I was to call my beloved and gorgeous and wonderful partner "fat" she would quite soon make me understand the mistake I had just made.

If my wife was to call me fat I would quite soon make her understand the mistake she'd just made.

See how that sounds when it's reversed.;-)

Joking aside, I'd say we're not even at a stage yet where many men even recognise the domestic abuse they get for what it is, abuse, let alone are at a stage to comment on it or report it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is no evidence anywhere that harsh, proactive arrests of men, the kind so beloved of police forces today with their automatic 'arrest the male' DV policies, have led to any discernible reduction in the level of domestic violence.

I cannot see Theresa May enacting laws that would see mothers with children potentially put in jail, particularly now that they've finally stopped jailing women for not paying for their TV licence.

Criminalising vast swathes of people is not the answer to society's problems.