Options

BBC Sussex emergency snow show

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    We don't even know for sure that Heart did nothing at all. One poster on DS tuning in for a few minutes may not tell the whole story.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    Tell that to the guy on now who has been stuck on the A23 since 4.30 yesterday afternoon!

Cant believe some numptys on here, who make light of a serious situation:mad:

Sorry but we regularly see headlines about terrible snow conditions which are accompanied by pictures of roads with only a light covering of snow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Sorry but we regularly see headlines about terrible snow conditions which are accompanied by pictures of roads with only a light covering of snow.

Indeed. And you quoted the same "numpty" who decided to throw in an ill informed comment about a big radio group.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right. So one Global station, which can be heard in many parts of the affected areas, doing some coverage. Good for them.

Bad weather reporting/ school closures etc are the only thing BBC Sussex/Surrey (id est SCR) does well, it always has excelled at it . For the rest of the time you might as well mothball the station. Its a complete yawnfest.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the "usual suspects" come on here to call other stations Tinpot!:rolleyes:

Fear not, they'll have a survey done, graph published,and extensive research data to prove the average 35yo female with ZERO intelligence doesn't care where the snow comes from

They probably think that it is that white stuff they scrape off the inside of the fridge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    They probably think that it is that white stuff they scrape off the inside of the fridge.

Their husbands not having discovered that the front of the fridge opens. :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »

Again, Global bashing for the sake of it.

Well done.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. And you quoted the same "numpty" who decided to throw in an ill informed comment about a big radio group.

The facts are the BBC did a great job, when LOCAL commercial radio treated their listeners with the usual contempt...

You know , occasionally, its about providing a relevant service, it really is!
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Yes we do, but the road network in the SE of England is
    at bursting point during fine weather, never mind poor, so it really doesn't take much of a mishap for gridlock to occur, and it often does.

One inch of snow elsewhere, as you allude to, is really no drama. Of course, with the Meeja based in the SE, the rest of the UK does get a rather distorted perspective.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a report on the ITV local news, seems the roads were cleared in the afternoon but some accidents started to add delays before the storm, so by the evening the A23/M23 and other roads could not be cleared. Yesterday France was still affected which affected the M20!
    Just realised that the other person with David Miller is BBC Sussex and Surrey Editor Sara David.

David Miller mentions that they're staying on-air until at least 1.45am.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-12835872
    So Sara is the Managing Editor "boss" of the station, good on her and David!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The facts are the BBC did a great job, when LOCAL commercial radio treated their listeners with the usual contempt...

You know , occasionally, its about providing a relevant service, it really is!

Those are the facts, are they? So when Jon Craig says
    Nick Osborne was still live on the Media Sound stations giving out travel information when I last listened at about 9.30pm last night.

he's just making it up?

Dare I suggest that the "usual contempt" come from those who say "commercial radio" when (a) they mean the big groups and (b) still haven't actually established what Heart did or didn't do?
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-12835872
    So Sara is the Managing Editor "boss" of the station, good on her and David!

The Managing Editor is Nicci Holliday, Sara I think is her number 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (b) still haven't actually established what Heart did or didn't do?

Oh, come on:mad:

If they had done ANYTHING at all, the "usual suspects" on here would have been shouting it from thre rooftops, and, as you are well aware, that has not happened.
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they had done ANYTHING at all, the "usual suspects" on here would have been shouting it from thre rooftops, and, as you are well aware, that has not happened.

And what about Mapperley's first point? Are you going to comment on the fact that not all commercial radio treated it's listeners with the 'normal contempt'?
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is officially winter until the 21st and it snowed! Shock horror! What's all the fuss? Police say "Don't drive unless you really have to!" Drivers think, "That doesn't apply to me!" Result - chaos and risking others' lives!!

Let them sit in the car until the thaw!:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Would they? Just because Smart Programmer or others haven't been on here, it doesn't mean that Heart ignored the snow.

I wasn't listening on the night so I don't know for sure. The person who said "nothing on Heart" has not been back to this thread to categorically say they did nothing all night. I'd say that's not entirely conclusive.

Others have pointed out that both LBC and Media Sound stations covered it. So that's Global and a smaller group.

But hey - don't let the facts get in the way of a few sweeping generalisations :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is officially winter until the 21st and it snowed! Shock horror! What's all the fuss? Police say "Don't drive unless you really have to!" Drivers think, "That doesn't apply to me!" Result - chaos and risking others' lives!!

Let them sit in the car until the thaw!:mad:

I don't know about the South of Englandshire but it is often a case of the police and road authorities calling Wolf too often. They tell people not to travel when there are no problems.

We had a 'Warning Low Temperatures ..." on the VMS at the bottom of my road for about a week, complete with the flashing amber lights. It hardly went down to zero during that time and was getting towards 10 degrees one day,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't listening on the night so I don't know for sure.

Simple really, look at the logs for late Mon / early Tues...

Songs played every 3 or 4 minutes tend to say it all....but you knew that:rolleyes:

Lets not let the facts get in the way of your fanaticism for the group!:yawn:
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Songs played every 3 or 4 minutes tend to say it all....but you knew that:rolleyes:
    Would have thought with journalists on duty at Leicester Square who should be aware of news of whats happening thoughout the UK (as on LBC), extra traffic reports could be sent out on the local Heart feed to Sussex transmitters during the the evening Roberto and Simon Beale shows?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simple really, look at the logs for late Mon / early Tues...

Lets not let the facts get in the way of your fanaticism for the group!:yawn:

Ok, those were the music logs. But what were said in the links, and - as has been suggested - did the presenters do split links for the affected area?

As you seem to have the facts at your fingertips I'm sure you'll be able to enlighten us all.

And what about LBC? Or Media Sound? Or do they not count because they scupper your hatred for the commercial sector?