The Walking Dead S3 FXUK

Comments

• Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the contrary, i think TWD has changed things. I'm no longer scared of zombies, at all. Then again, if Danny Boyle's super charged zombies came running at me, i'd probably be a bit concerned. But TWD zombies are as easy to kill as Bowser in Super Mario Bros.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care about the origin of the virus itself, there are lots of options such as a weaponised biological agent escaped from a military lab, whatever it doesn't really matter to where we are now.
    What I want to know is stuff like, do the zombies continue to rot or does the virus prevent that. Do they need to eat or will they eventually rot away? where do they get their energy from? Stick ten zombies on a tread mill they could power a small town, do they need to feed to do this?
    Does the virus survive in heat? if they go out into the desert and it's over 100F will the zombies keep going? would that cause them to rot?
    can they swim? can the virus survive under water for a long time?

lots of silly questions I know but these are things I'm curious about.
  • XXRunXXXXRunXX Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    On the contrary, i think TWD has changed things. I'm no longer scared of zombies, at all. Then again, if Danny Boyle's super charged zombies came running at me, i'd probably be a bit concerned. But TWD zombies are as easy to kill as Bowser in Super Mario Bros.

Yes bit like Storm Troopers and Orcs!
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    I don't really care about the origin of the virus itself, there are lots of options such as a weaponised biological agent escaped from a military lab, whatever it doesn't really matter to where we are now.
    What I want to know is stuff like, do the zombies continue to rot or does the virus prevent that. Do they need to eat or will they eventually rot away? where do they get their energy from? Stick ten zombies on a tread mill they could power a small town, do they need to feed to do this?
    Does the virus survive in heat? if they go out into the desert and it's over 100F will the zombies keep going? would that cause them to rot?

I've wondered that about the eating too, it's said that the only way to kill them is to kill their brain, and we've seen zombies like the guy that hung himself then turned obviously go without food for an infinite amount of time. So my query is, if they don't need to eat what drives them to do it?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »

We know that zombies continue to rot, two examples being that female zombie that Rick met in the first episode and the the one they found down one of the wells on Hershell's farm in season 2
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    decobelle wrote: »
    I've wondered that about the eating too, it's said that the only way to kill them is to kill their brain, and we've seen zombies like the guy that hung himself then turned obviously go without food for an infinite amount of time. So my query is, if they don't need to eat what drives them to do it?

Didn't Milton suggest that the zombies do deteriorate without sustenance? Just at a much, much slower rate than humans.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,486
    Forum Member
    Read some of the bickering on this thread and was quite amazed at some posters interpretations of the quiet episodes as "fillers" and "boring" - I enjoy every episode, some much more than others but each episode has something that I find value in.

If you don't like it, do as you wish - continue to watch and bitch about it or stop watching.
    Challenging what is happening is fine but the "I'm right and it's turning to sh*t" stance is just patronising and pointless to people like me who love the show.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nook26 wrote: »
    I haven't read the graphic novels but I'd like to think that the next series will start to look into the reasons behind the virus and what has become of governments and other organisations.

I suspect the two opposing factions will have merged by the beginning of next series (under whose leadership I don't know - Andrea?) and they'll have a more secure base of operation in Woodberry.

This could allow them to start exploring further afield maybe.

I'd be disappointed if season 4 was more bumbling around the countryside trying to find a place to fit in!

That said, I've enjoyed this season and I'm not after huge reveals and massive battles every episode - the lower-key stuff is essential to the programme and well executed in my opinion.

If they stick around Woodberry for S4 and go out and about into the woods for supply runs etc...then i may switch off as i can't be doing with another season of living in the wilderness. I'm sick of Glenn & Maggie going on a supply run and end up having sex in a store or getting caught up in a walker attack. I need to know what life is like OUTSIDE of Atlanta & Woodberry. The creator does not want to tell the story of the origin of the virus ! Why ? That's a big question everyone wants to know, or does he not have a decent imagination to create such a story ?
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be entertaining, as they'll soon show us with the last ep of the season, but the show is weak sauce for the most part.

I thank the gods, old and new, that Game of Thrones is back soon.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    I need to know what life is like OUTSIDE of Atlanta & Woodberry.

I would love to see life outside of Atlanta too. I'm hoping that we'll eventually see other states and cities. Georgia is wearing a bit thin. :)

The creator does not want to tell the story of the origin of the virus ! Why ? That's a big question everyone wants to know, or does he not have a decent imagination to create such a story ?

For me, it's much scarier "not knowing" the origin of how it started. There's really no reason to know. It serves no purpose to the story because TWD is not about finding out how it happend or finding a cure. It's about surviving an apocalypse - against zombies as well as humans.

And for some people, knowing the origin of the virus just takes away the great mystery. I really hope the creators of this program leave it unexplained. Viewers can come up with their own reasons for the dead coming back: biowarfare, act of god, extraterrestrial contamination, mutated virus, evolution, etc.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they stick around Woodberry for S4 and go out and about into the woods for supply runs etc...then i may switch off as i can't be doing with another season of living in the wilderness. I'm sick of Glenn & Maggie going on a supply run and end up having sex in a store or getting caught up in a walker attack. I need to know what life is like OUTSIDE of Atlanta & Woodberry. The creator does not want to tell the story of the origin of the virus ! Why ? That's a big question everyone wants to know, or does he not have a decent imagination to create such a story ?
    No it isn't. I'm rarely interested in how zombie viruses start (I read far too many books about zombie apocalypses) I'm interested in the after - how they survive the immediate devastation, how they survive long term. I don't care for them finding a cure but I suppose I would like to see flashbacks to how they coped early on.

(have just got hold of the 'Road to Woodbury' and 'Rise of the governor books which hopefully will be about others in the Rick universe)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am with you on this. Love the show, but I want them to move on a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    No it isn't. I'm rarely interested in how zombie viruses start (I read far too many books about zombie apocalypses) I'm interested in the after - how they survive the immediate devastation, how they survive long term. I don't care for them finding a cure but I suppose I would like to see flashbacks to how they coped early on.

Just because you (and many others) don't want to know how/where the virus started does not mean no-one does. I don't need to find a cure but i would like to see how it all started and evolved into the monster it now is.

I too would like to see more flashbacks, how the group came together, getting out of town etc...We had a flashback of Lori, Carl and Shane on the freeway at night when the army napalmed Atlanta, where were they heading ? Was everyone going to a safe area ?

This would add more depth to a slowly dying show.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too would like to see more flashbacks, how the group came together, getting out of town etc...We had a flashback of Lori, Carl and Shane on the freeway at night when the army napalmed Atlanta, where were they heading ? Was everyone going to a safe area ?
    That was one of the highlights of the second series for me - Carol and her husband were there too. In fact I think there's a bit that was cut out of the second series that made it more of a wide-ranging story. Some of the scenes are on youtube
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member

or taken prisoner. Its groundhog day all right
    Why cant they just get some vans and make for the Rockies or Vancouver picking up people along the way. I cant really take another episode like the last few.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice how Lauren Cohan's accent slipped badly on the "don't say that to him" line?
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    If you don't like it, do as you wish - continue to watch and bitch about it or stop watching.

I, for one, really appreciate your permission.

I, for another one (still being me, the one, but yet another one in the instance sense), find it utterly refreshing to be granted permission to do as I wish and not some "patronising and pointless" sort of hypocrisy.

I, for a third, yet still somehow one, thank you.

But I would like to clarify and/or extend what you will permit.

Would it be okay with you if I stopped watching BUT ALSO continued to bitch?
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Challenging what is happening is fine but the "I'm right and it's turning to sh*t" stance is just patronising and pointless to people like me who love the show.
    But those who go on about how great it is (without acknowledging that the show has quite a few faults) is a bit annoying to us who still like the show but can see these faults.

I still like the show and will continue to watch it (well at least until the end of series 3) but I'll continue to point out faults in it - after all - this is a message board to discuss Pros AND Cons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I too love the show but can see where it's going wrong and how poor writing is killing it. It's not patronising and pointless, it's healthy debate. How boring must it be if we all said we loved it and the show had no issues. imo Frank Darabont would give this show a much needed kick up the arse, S1 was great and it's a shame he left.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't need them to find a cure for the zombies (I think they're already dead). Perhaps one for the virus already infecting the living. But even that I don't care that much about.
    What I really want to see if the "post" apocolypse part. we are still in the apocolypse stage with herds of zombies stampeeding around the country. surely these must rot and die eventually when they run out of available food? They can't go forever. Eventually the number of zombies roaming around will be much less than now and they will start to rebuild. In this phase of the story we should find out what remains of humanity. Is there is a government? a military? can they get some communications to other groups established.

As for the slow episodes lately, they've not been as bad the those awful ones in season 2 between sophia disappearring and the barn scene. At least here we've had the woodbury stuff building up to something and the prison storyline was better than the farm storyline.
  • AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    I thought the first half of season 2 was slow but loved the last half. People like you are not happy unless it's constant killing of zombies. Sad.You will be right at home on IMDB boards for TWD.

The thing is I wish the show could do without the constant zombie killing. But it can't. It's apparently limited by its somewhat average writing staff. No one is asking it to be The Sopranos with Zombies but any episode that revolves around the characters sitting around, doing virtually nothing is bound to be a tedious disappointment cause the writers fail to be able to give the characters meaningful dialogue.
  • AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    A Chekov's gun that did not go off. Besides, Rick should
    be expecting a trap like that.

Which makes me wonder...they all left at the same time. Did the Governor then go back to retrieve the gun? And how did he get there in the first place? On foot? Cause after all he left with the rest of the group after the meeting was over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviller wrote: »
    Which makes me wonder...they all left at the same time. Did the Governor then go back to retrieve the gun? And how did he get there in the first place? On foot? Cause after all he left with the rest of the group after the meeting was over.

He sent someone beforehand to place the gun under the table ?
  • johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since Zombies became Flesh Eaters courtesy of George A Romero, hardly any writers/directors have gone into the real reason why... and its not something I have ever really wanted to know either.

I find it more 'scary' and 'un-nerving' that the dead seemingly just started returning to life and attacking the living, and then the living who died just came back too.

Romero hinted at a reason in the original 'Night of the Living Dead' (radiation from a space probe), but that was always just speculation. Then there was the 'No room left in hell' line from the original 'Dawn of the dead'.

Its just part of the mythology, and if you try and give it a reason, and even a cure, I think it would be the end of the Zombie genre as we know it.

EDIT: Just seen similar responses further up the page.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnson293 wrote: »
    Since Zombies became Flesh Eaters courtesy of George A Romero, hardly any writers/directors have gone into the real reason why... and its not something I have ever really wanted to know either.

I find it more 'scary' and 'un-nerving' that the dead seemingly just started returning to life and attacking the living, and then the living who died just came back too.

Romero hinted at a reason in the original 'Night of the Living Dead' (radiation from a space probe), but that was always just speculation. Then there was the 'No room left in hell' line from the original 'Dawn of the dead'.

Its just part of the mythology, and if you try and give it a reason, and even a cure, I think it would be the end of the Zombie genre as we know it.

EDIT: Just seen similar responses further up the page.

I very much doubt that.