HBO Game Of Thrones S05 (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take back everything I said about the Sandsnakes being boring and useless. At least Tyene anyhow.

VG episode :)

You mean - very good pair of bazookas-malookas. Sooo-so superficial...!

Anyways, i'll add some balance - you heteros can have Tyenes boobies, as long as I can have Daario's arse. Fairs fair.;-)
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    How does the King's blood magic work then?

I can remember Melissandre leeching Gendry (I think?). Couldn't she just take some from Stannis rather than requiring a death?

When have we seen her use King's blood before now? I can't remember how she summoned the wraith other than her giving birth to it. I'm struggling to remember her other displays of magic now. Have we seen her magic be especially more potent after a sacrifice?
  • JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can remember Melissandre leeching Gendry (I think?). Couldn't she just take some from Stannis rather than requiring a death?

When have we seen her use King's blood before now? I can't remember how she summoned the wraith other than her giving birth to it. I'm struggling to remember her other displays of magic now. Have we seen her magic be especially more potent after a sacrifice?

She had sex with Stannis to create the shadow wraith.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was interesting that Sansa spoke to Ramsey about him having a brother soon. Mind games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this sums up my feelings too.

I feel it's the script, the dialogue, that's lacking. Normally that bridges the gaps betweem major events (both actual and emotional), but it simply isn't happening this series. It's probably because they've offed most of their best characters and actors and they're making up most of the dialogue, as it isn't in the books.

All the scripts feel like they're drafts, rather than the finished article. I supect it's because they have to be turned around so quickly, in order to deliver a new series every 12 months. Normally GRR Martin has done the draft scripts for them, but with them making up so much stuff, they've had to start from scratch - and boy, does it show.

I was thinking about GRRM's involvement with the scripts this season, doesn't he usually write at least one episode a series? I'm in the minority in that I've enjoyed this season, bar a couple of bits (Dorne...), i've loved the Winterfell material, though I understand some feel its being dragged out - to me it's not really an issue. Dialogue has been clunky this season though....

Hard to believe theres only 3 episodes left already. One does get the impression things are going to go into overdrive by next week though. It was great to see Sansa taking the lead with Theon, even if he couldn't pull out the trump. I reckon he will come to her aid & lose his life in the process.

Really don't want Shireen to die. There's not been a 'shock' death this season so far though.... (I didn't have any emotional investment in Grey Worm. And much as I liked Selmy, they were heroic deaths).

Waiting for The Beast to come out of the cellar too.... Wonder if High Sparrow/Littlefinger or Cersei gets it from him? Or even Tommen!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the better episodes of the season.

The Sand Snakes actresses' even showed they could act a little :)

If Littlefinger was referring to Lancel then he's missed the boat on this one as it's clear Lancel had spilled his guts to the High Sparrow a while back.

Speaking of which I wonder how much Lancel has said, Him being with Cersei of course and most likely about the wine given to Robert but would he know anything about Cersei/Jaime?

It's an open secret anyway but could Cersei have revealed something to Lancel that would provide proof of the Incest and illegitimacy of Tommen?

If it wasn't Lancel that LF was talking about then Gendry does make more sense to me than Robin.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All sorts going on this week - great episode and building nicely to finale.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speaking of Gendry..... Where is he? Was the last we saw of him when he set sail for Kings Landing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If three leeches from Gendrys pecker can kill x3 kings, then surely a leech on Stannis/Jon Snow or Shireen can destroy Ramsey & his father!
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    One does get the impression things are going to go into overdrive by next week though.

Yep - you would think so :)
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Stannis burns Shireen then I officially will not like him anymore and I will demand that he hand back his Dad of the Year trophy, that's how strongly I feel about it.
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    speaking of Gendry..... Where is he? Was the last we saw of him when he set sail for Kings Landing?
    That's the last we saw of him on screen. He's only been referenced in past tense by a few others since.

So, no-one knows where he is.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does still feel like things are moving rather slowly, although to be fair the books plod along a bit at this point anyway. I agree that the dialogue has been really off this season - did Olenna really say "shagging"?

Still, there's some good stuff to keep the interest going. I'm glad Sam and Gilly finally got it on :)
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    mindset wrote: »
    I haven't read the books so I can't tell whether something is missing that should be shown, or something is being shown that shouldn't have been. But I think this is the weakest season so far. Perhaps the source material is substandard? I thought season 4 was a banquet of fabulousness, season 5 is barely more than a very plain omelette.

The latest episode. I thought by revealing Lancel, the Head Sparrow was indicating to Cersei that they were coming after her all along. In the previous episode Lancel wanted to arrest Littlefinger but relented when he used Cersei's name. Doesn't this indicate that the sparrows were not yet ready to act against her, because they first needed Cersei's cooperation/approval to detain both Tyrells. I thought it was odd of Littlefinger to admit to Lady Tyrell that he provided the means for the arrests of her kin. Very odd, when surely he only needed to tell her what he intended to do for her?

Poor, poor Cersei; both her sons became kings and both proved disastrous in their own ways. Tommen now wants to use soldiers against the fanatical flock, after he ordered them not to intervene in his wife's arrest in the first place. Duhhhh. Meanwhile her promisingly imperious daughter is determined to stay well out of it. Shame that.

I thought Theon took the candle from Sansa and went straight to Ramsey. That's how Sansa now has one less friend in the North. And so it goes on. And on.

Hurrah for Ghost. But why did Jon leave the mutt behind? Surely he would be much more use on the trail, than being locked up at the castle till gawd knows when.

I suppose I'll watch it again, but really.....ho hum.
    I was under the impression well according to the books that Ghost does not follow Jon and does his own thing. I am sure in the books (Been a while) that Ghost goes off for weeks. Perhaps thats why Jon left Ghost. He didn't know where Ghost was!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »

Hurrah for Ghost. But why did Jon leave the mutt behind? Surely he would be much more use on the trail, than being locked up at the castle till gawd knows when.

Jon is travelling by ship (Stannis' fleet) maybe Ghost gets seasick?
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The real reason, like someone said earlier, is that it's too much CGI hassle to have him appearing too often.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the direwolves don't appear too much because they film real wolves in front of a green screen in Canada and just scale them up. They're probably a whole lot cheaper than the dragons, but clearly a whole lot more hassle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Yeah, the direwolves don't appear too much because they film real wolves in front of a green screen in Canada and just scale them up. They're probably a whole lot cheaper than the dragons, but clearly a whole lot more hassle.

Mereen master: Queen, I demand to see your dragons.

Dany: Oh do you indeed? (has quick chat with someone off-camera) You may see them for exactly 50 frames, I mean 5 seconds.... That's all we can afford, apparently.
    Forum Member
    Mereen master: Queen, I demand to see your dragons.

Dany: Oh do you indeed? (has quick chat with someone off-camera) You may see them for exactly 50 frames, I mean 5 seconds.... That's all we can afford, apparently.
    Sorry, the rest of the dragon budget is allocated to Drogon and he hasn't come back from Valyria yet :p
  • scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over on Thronecast the actors who plays Tomman sounds like he's trying out for a role in EastEnders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amusing description of Jorah's situation I saw elsewhere.

A knight who became a slave

A slave who became a gladiator

A gladiator who defied a khaleesi
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Speaking of which I wonder how much Lancel has said, Him being with Cersei of course and most likely about the wine given to Robert but would he know anything about Cersei/Jaime?

That's why I don't think he was talking about Lancel and the way the scenes were cut was pure misdirection. From the way it was worded Lancel had unburdened his own sins (i.e. his affair with Cersei and hand in Robert's death) but he won't have necessarily mentioned anything he wasn't involved in. I suspect Littlefinger has another plan to bring the Lannisters down. It would very much suit him to have the Lannisters gone and the Tyrell's still as his allies.

If he's referring to Lancel then somehow Lancel has been employed and directed by Littlefinger from before Cersei even started using the Sparrows to do her dirty work and frankly that seems a bit far fetched.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree we should all be very worried about Shireen and dread the thought of her mother killing her if Melissandre tells her why it's necessary. Hopefully Stannis will never agree to do it or Ser Davis steps in again.

Robin Arryn sounds like a good bet to me as the threat to the Iron throne LF can offer the Tyrells. Can't see it being Gendry because he won't be as easy to manipulate and Robin would need a regent to act on his behalf until he's older.

What bugs me this series is that a lot of things which are happening were done better in the books. This isn't the usual moan about the books, it's more about change for change's sake and goes towards the more superficialness of this series. For example, in the books Maester Aemon dies on board the ship and after the funeral Sam and Gilly have drunken sex. Why did Gilly have to be almost raped by Men of the Night's Watch and Sam beaten up instead? There's still got to be a sea voyage and glad as I was to see Ghost, I can't see the point of this kind of change.

Also, nice boobs or not, what was the point of the jail scene with the Sand Snakes and Bronn? :confused:

I also think it would have been useful to show the growth of the new religion which began in the countryside.
    Forum Member
    Robin Arryn sounds like a good bet to me as the threat to the Iron throne LF can offer the Tyrells. Can't see it being Gendry because he won't be as easy to manipulate and Robin would need a regent to act on his behalf until he's older.
    LOL! I don't think so :D
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also, nice boobs or not, what was the point of the jail scene with the Sand Snakes and Bronn? :confused:

I'm guessing they recognised that he was a sellsword and not an honoured knight of the Lannisters. They are going to work to turn him to their side and have him betray Jamie, that's my bet.

As for the rest of the episode, I have to give special mention to Sam finally getting his end away. I loved his little "oh my god!" reaction. :p