Options

Black NAACP leader 'outed' as white by her parents

Comments

• Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this story, it sums up everything about the state of racial identity being used to cry victimization for personal benefit in today's society, in such a succinct and entertaining way.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    She finks she's black innit.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a way it reminded me of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicia_Esteve_Head

I suspect at the root of this whole thing is probably quite a troubled individual. In that respect I feel sorry for her because clearly something has gone amiss in her life somewhere. Her parents didn't seem surprised and so they're clearly aware of a history. The reasons for how she is behaving will be there somewhere.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    She probably listens to lamenting reggae songs about how her ancestors were kidnapped into slavery.

Erm no love, when all that was happening, your ancestors were making sausages in Baden-Baden.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    No, I said circumstances don't matter either way.

you said :
    Come on. It is fraud. Her parents say she's white. She makes it out that she's multiracial. Circumstances don't matter.

then when I asked you if it was fraud if a black person did it you gave all sorts circumstances why it would be ok for a black person to do it .
    thats a double standard .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Did I say anything about how well or badly she did her job?

Well possibly I did because I asked what would happen if she was called upon to decide about other white persons who falsified job applications. I wondered if that would be okay with her.

what a strange thing to say , why would she be called upon to check for white persons who falsified job applications ? why only white persons ? why would that be part of her job ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get fired. Same as anyone else who lies on a job application. And the person who hired you is disappointed that an otherwise capable employee displayed stunningly poor judgement and llack of character.

and there we are ^ , apparently it doesn't matter if you can do the job .

people lie on job applications all the time , the important thing should be - are you doing your job well ? but apparently thats not the important thing these days .

• Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

people lie on job applications all the time , the important thing should be - are you doing your job well ? but apparently thats not the important thing these days .

From the link above about Alicia Esteve Head...
    In July 2012, Head was fired from her latest position at Inter Partner Assistance, an insurance company in Barcelona, once her employers found out about her ruse in New York. She had been performing well but the company was afraid of losing customers' trust.

Depending on the nature of the job and the company, individual performance is just one factor. The overall image of the company/group often means more than the performance of one member of staff.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a strange thing to say , why would she be called upon to check for white persons who falsified job applications ? why only white persons ? why would that be part of her job ?

I'm posing a hypothetical question of whether she would support another white person if it was found out that they got the job by checking off another race on the job application.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And if your job is to evaluate the honesty and integrity of others, as was her job with the police department, then it goes without saying that she should possess those qualities herself.

Why is that a difficult concept to comprehend?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Regardless of her motives and identification with black ethnicity, Rachel Dolezal presenting a black gentleman as her Father and therefore denying who her real white Father is, was a horrendous, hurtful thing to do to her family. Making herself look like she had black heritage by curling her hair and artifically toning her skin though deceitful, is actually quite comical.

An interesting article from Saturday's Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/13/rachel-dolezal-blackface-race-brother
    Rachel Dolezal accused of 'blackface' by adopted brother.

The adopted brother of Rachel Dolezal has accused her of giving African Americans a “slap in the face” by co-opting their racial struggles after growing up with all the advantages of a white, middle-class girl.

“She puts dark make-up on her face and says she black,” Ezra Dolezal told Buzzfeed News. “It’s basically blackface.”

The 22-year-old soldier, who described himself to the Washington Post as “25% black”, spoke out after his white adoptive parents this week outed their biological daughter as a white woman.
    He also said Rachel Dolezal had told him “don’t blow my cover” when he went to visit her after she moved to Spokane, Washington, where she is president of the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

Ezra Dolezal told Buzzfeed News he first began to notice a change in his sister about six years ago, after she first moved to Spokane, when she increased the range of hair products she used. From 2011 she began applying make-up to her face to appear “darker and darker”, he said.

“She just told me, ‘Over here, I’m going to be considered black, and I have a black father. Don’t blow my cover’,” he said.

Another adopted brother, Zach Dolezal, told the Washington Post she had also told him not to refer to her white parents.

Rachel Dolezal claimed her black adopted brother, Izaiah, as her son after she became estranged from her parents, Ruthanne and Larry Dolezal. She obtained legal custody of the 21-year-old in 2011, amid an apparent split from her family.

Ezra Dolezal said his sister had brainwashed Izaiah into hating white people. He told the Washington Post: “She turned Izaiah kind of racist. Told Izaiah all this stuff about white people, made him really racist toward white people.”

Zach Dolezal told the Washington Post: “I can understand hairstyles and all that. Saying her brother is her son, I don’t understand that.”

Seems there's a new word in town, transracial. There are more videos at the bottom of the page. She describes her life and experiences as a black female. Scarey womanLOL

http://theroottv.theroot.com/video/Melissa-Harris-Perry-on-Rachel;entertainment-playlist

Yes one who lies through her teeth, even about who her father is.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/06/what_did_rachel_dolezal_do_to_her_adopted_brother_izaiah.html
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She might claim constructive dismissal on racial grounds.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I haven't trawled the whole thread but has anyone discussed the possibility that she did it because of cultural self loathing?
    You only have to see what is written on forums like DS about white history and it abuse of black people. Add that to the fact that all four of her siblings were black and she was brought up in a house where black culture was studied admired and encouraged, you could see how somebody confused could possibly see this as the answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    I'm posing a hypothetical question of whether she would support another white person if it was found out that they got the job by checking off another race on the job application.

maybe she would . . . and . . . so what ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if your job is to evaluate the honesty and integrity of others, as was her job with the police department, then it goes without saying that she should possess those qualities herself.

Why is that a difficult concept to comprehend?

I've read a few articles on her , they say she was on a police committe but not much more than that , I'm not even sure it was a paid job - was it ? and do you know exactly what her job or role was on this committe ?

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't trawled the whole thread but has anyone discussed the possibility that she did it because of cultural self loathing?
    You only have to see what is written on forums like DS about white history and it abuse of black people. Add that to the fact that all four of her siblings were black and she was brought up in a house where black culture was studied admired and encouraged, you could see how somebody confused could possibly see this as the answer.

According to her brother she knew it was a ruse, and asked him not to blow her cover. I'm not sure how confused she was in that case.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd thought about that. I'd also wondered if it was an attention issue, but I don't know how old she was when her parents adopted the black children. She was a teenager. She does have and older full brother aged 39 and he's facing charges of child sexual assault.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/rachel-dolezal-older-brother-accused-child-molestation-article-1.2257560
    EXCLUSIVE: Rachel Dolezal supporting victim who accused her brother of child molestation, suggests parents outed her as white in retaliation

I don't know if this has been linked

http://reverbpress.com/religion/rachel-dolezal-young-earth-creationist-parents/
    Rachel Dolezal’s Creationist Parents: ‘Jesus Christ Is The Witness On My Birth Certificate’

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_385adfeb-76f3-5050-98b4-d4bf021c423f.html
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read a few articles on her , they say she was on a police committe but not much more than that , I'm not even sure it was a paid job - was it ? and do you know exactly what her job or role was on this committe ?

Her job was to be an ombudsman which is someone who listens to complaints and issues about police performance. She was selected specifically because Spokane has a predominantly white demographic and the police wanted to be seen as unbiased when it came to dealing with the minority members of their community.

So integrity and honesty were important job qualifications. Being a lying liar who lied about who she was should indicate that she lacks both qualifications whether it's a paid position or not.
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    She might claim constructive dismissal on racial grounds.

Haha, high five! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe she would . . . and . . . so what ?

So how many white people who pretend to be black, holding jobs specifucally earmarked for racial minorities, would be okay for her to rubber stamp? Would it be okay for them to write and give speeches about black experiences they never had?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Er, no. Many people grew up in multicultural households, and they didn't make up stories about their backgrounds like she apparently did.

I have a white friend whose divorced mother married a Guyanese-born man when she was four, and she has two half-siblings from that marriage. (Her biological father disappeared when she was two after he moved elsewhere to marry someone else.) Her mother died of cancer when she was 13, which left her stepfather to bring her and her sisters up alone. Now in her late 30s, she regards her stepfather as her true father because he was involved with bringing her up since she was four, especially after she was 13.

That's never affected her identity as a white English person. It doesn't affect her close relationship with her father and sisters, either. In fact, he still encourages her and her sisters to stay interested in their late mother's English heritage.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she applies for a new job wonder how she will fill out the application... black or white?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    If she applies for a new job wonder how she will fill out the application... black or white?

Some reports say she didn't list any and some reports say she listed herself as multiracial, so no one really knows.

In any case, the NAACP doesn't give a crap if you're black or white when you apply. People of different ethnicities have worked with and for the NAACP since its founding.