Help!! My cat has just had kittens this morning!!

teagenieteagenie Posts: 146
Forum Member
Hi there, my cat has gave birth to kittens this morning. What do I do now? I'm supposed to be at work in less than an hour but I don't know if I should leave her alone or stay in the house with her? She's currently feeding the kittens and purring.
I have a male cat (not the dad!), should I keep him away from her also?
Quite urgent, I'm panicking a bit!!
Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd keep the tom away from them for sure. The mum has enough to do nursing them without fending him off.

If I was in this situation I'd either get someone to stay at home with them or throw a sickie :o
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should have been a more responsible pet owner and had her spayed when she was younger, then you wouldn't have had this problem.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wherever she and the kittens are now, shut them off from the rest of the household. She needs rest and quiet.

Put a litter tray in there, and some food and water, and mum will get on and do what she needs to do.

Please get her spayed once the kittens have left her.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Don't let her out and make sure she is neutered. Having kittens is destructive to the poor cat. Make sure the kittens also get neutered when they are old enough.

Don't let the tom near her. She might kill the babies.

She is happy enough with her babies. Don't touch them or she might kill them.

Call in a vet to check the cat and the kittens. Some nasty things can happen after the birth.
  • teagenieteagenie Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Lily_M - having the kittens isn't a problem, we are quite happy to have more cats in the house. I've just never been in this situation before.

Thanks very much to everyone for your advice. It's much appreciated.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    teagenie wrote: »
    Lily_M - having the kittens isn't a problem, we are quite happy to have more cats in the house. I've just never been in this situation before.

What you write is worrying. Cats breed in no time. 3-6 months and a kitten can get up the duff. One mother can have 24 kittens a year. They might have kittens and before you know, it the mother will be a grandmother to 500 kittens in two years.

There won't be enough homes.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member

I'm afraid that allowing your cats to have kittens is very much a problem and rather irresponsible. If you want more cats there are lots and lots of cats and kittens in rescues shelters, many who will never be given a home and many who will be put to sleep because there are no homes for them.

Unneutered cats are prone to many health problems. Please get your cats neutered. It's a requisite for basic responsible cat ownership.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But in the meantime there is a newborn litter and nursing queen to be looked after ...
    Forum Member
    But in the meantime there is a newborn litter and nursing queen to be looked after ...

Yes indeed - but she can make arrangements to get her cats neutered when they are ready.

If I was in a situation where I knew my cat was pregnant (which presumably the OP did) then I would certainly have read up on and made adequate preparations for the arrival of the kittens and the subsequent care of both the kittens and their mother.

I would have thought it's just common sense :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    well congrate's on the kittens. I don't think you are irrsponsible or anything. but I think you should call up sick to your work and stay with her for at least a day or two. keep an eye on her and see that all the kittens get there fair share of milk if one is being left out a bit or is thiner than the rest give him/her a bit of milk by hand. use kitten replacer not cows milk. good luck and I hope you enjoy having them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do you plan to keep all the kittens? If so, are you going to start neutering all your cats before they mate? Or are you happy to slowly kill the female cats whilst they keep having more and more slowly deforming kittens?
    Forum Member
    Hi. It was my daughter who posted this thread earlier as I was busy sorting our male cat etc

For the people who have given good advice I very much appreciate that. Thank you.

However, to the self righteous posters who decided to judge us without knowing our circumstances nor gave us any advice, please get off your high horses.

I should not have to justify myself but I'm so hacked off with you few posters that I will.
    I have had this cat for a day and a half!!!!! It hung around my garden and would cry to come in when my Tom cat (neutered) was coming in.
    I thought the stray cat looked pregnant when she came to my door on Saturday morning so I brought her in to my house, i phoned my vet and he said to bring her to see him on Monday at 10am and he would check her over and let me know what to do.

But as you can see, she didn't make it to the appointment hence why I'm unprepared!!!!!!!!!!!

If I don't find the owner of the queen and i have to keep her then she shall be neutered. As shall the kittens if I keep them also.

Thank you again to the genuine helpful posters.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Don't worry they're just jealous of your kittens. :) I know I am.

I hope mum and kittens are doing good.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pics of the kittens!!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi. It was my daughter who posted this thread earlier as I was busy sorting our male cat etc

For the people who have given good advice I very much appreciate that. Thank you.

However, to the self righteous posters who decided to judge us without knowing our circumstances nor gave us any advice, please get off your high horses.

I should not have to justify myself but I'm so hacked off with you few posters that I will.
    I have had this cat for a day and a half!!!!! It hung around my garden and would cry to come in when my Tom cat (neutered) was coming in.
    I thought the stray cat looked pregnant when she came to my door on Saturday morning so I brought her in to my house, i phoned my vet and he said to bring her to see him on Monday at 10am and he would check her over and let me know what to do.

But as you can see, she didn't make it to the appointment hence why I'm unprepared!!!!!!!!!!!

If I don't find the owner of the queen and i have to keep her then she shall be neutered. As shall the kittens if I keep them also.

I hope they are doing well and what a lovely gesture to be looking after them.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on you for taking her in. If her previous owners weren't bothered enough to get her spayed, it's not your fault. Just make sure not to handle any of the kittens, otherwise mum will not be happy. :)

Best of luck with them, and well done on giving her a warm place to have them, instead of probably being stuck out in the cold.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Pics of the kittens!!! :D

x 2!!
    Forum Member

We can only judge on the information that's proffered. The OP gave the impression that it was a family cat and that having kittens was not a problem - I'm sure if you read back through the posts in question, objectively, you will see why they elicited such responses.

I am pleased that you have set the record straight. Was it you or your daughter who was due in work today? It's always a bit confusing when someone posts with someone else's user name.

I hope the cat and kittens do well and good on you for looking after them. Let's hope they all get good homes eventually.

And, yes, it would be nice to see pictures, perhaps when they're a bit bigger. :)
    Forum Member
    MarellaK - all the OP said was "I need help with newborn kittens". It DIDN'T say "please everyone judge me and talk to me like I'm a piece of crap whose only aim in life is to kill cats"!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for being harsh but things were chaotic this morning when I found a cat whom I didn't know had given birth in my home!!!!
    My main priority was the queen and her newborns - NOT telling my daughter to explain ourselves while desperately needing advice!

Thank you

And to the lovely people who have asked - ill upload pics tomoro. They're very beautiful. Xx
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to have her scanned for a chip and check missing pet databases then.
    Many lost pets never find their was home because the finders keep them :(

Hope all is well with kittens, cats are usually pretty good IME, but make sure she's on good quality food and keep an eye on her milk.
    I knew of a rescue cats who lost half her litter because she stopped producing milk and nobody noticed as the kittens were still trying to suckle.

All the best x
  • Ju411Ju411 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    x 2!!

x3 :o:D
  • KayokKayok Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    What a caring gesture to take in a pregnant cat, without you, the poor thing would have had to have them in the cold somewhere, so good on you OP.
    Forum Member
    Thank you Muse, I'll be checking for a microchip when I get them all to the vet.
    I already have a cat of my own - plus a toddler - so if the new mum has an owner I'll definitely reunite them!

Thank you all for your genuine responses.
    Photos coming sooooon! :-) x
    Forum Member
    Kayok, SilverCrown, Yeah Jackie, husted - thank you for your kind words. X
  • yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily_M wrote: »
    Perhaps you should have been a more responsible pet owner and had her spayed when she was younger, then you wouldn't have had this problem.

Hear Hear!