Options

Come on then.....black James Bond

rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/idris-elba-cant-james-bond-4873715

I suppose it's fitting to talk about changing the race and appearance of a fictional character on Christmas Day.

Would anyone have a problem with Idris as Bond? He's swarve, good looking, cool, manly, strong (bit of a man crush going on here) he's more Bond than the midget playing him now IMO

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    He's a fictional character so I don't see why not.

It could even go to the James Bond is not his real name but just a code name many different agents have used over the years theory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Tom Hardy is my personal choice, but if he's good in the role, who cares about his skin colour.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I for one cannot wait! Idris will sizzle in that role 😍
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I reckon he's just a decoy. I remember years ago, everyone thought it was going to be Clive Owen but it was given to Daniel Craig, seemingly out of nowhere.

They'll have someone else lined up for us but Idris Elba is throwing us off the scent.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    If they intend to change the race of the established character, then Elba is as good as anybody, and it would be interesting to see what he would bring to the role. I would go with Michael Fassbender myself if I had to choose.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elba complained the other month about playing Thor's buddy Heimdall so I'm not sure about his affinity for genre roles. We already have a black Moneypenny... I'd rather see an ethnic minority M than Bond.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Why must black people be forced into every position based entirely on their race?

That's racist!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    He's a good actor and that's all that matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why must black people be forced into every position based entirely on their race?

That's racist!

I think it's based on his suitability for the role rather than his race

Richard Blackwood and the guy who plays Patrick in Eastenders aren't being considered :)
  • Options
    somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes me wonder if there would be similar rumpus if a famous black character were recast ethnically. Would there be complaints if, say Jason Statham was cast in a reboot of SHAFT. The door swings both ways...
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we do get a black 007 better make him gay too, otherwise D.S. will go into meltdown and the Universe will implode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I'm happy he's getting the role, I like him a lot.

That's racist!

That's not the point. :confused:
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bothered.

I'm never sure whether I like him, though. Loved him in Ultraviolet, Luther and Sometimes in April, disliked him in Pacific Rim and Prometheus, thought he was fun in Thor, fine with him in American Gangster and indifferent to him in some other films.

But I can imagine him as Bond if his take on Bond is similar to his Luther role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me wonder if there would be similar rumpus if a famous black character were recast ethnically. Would there be complaints if, say Jason Statham was cast in a reboot of SHAFT. The door swings both ways...

Because Hollywood has never cast a white actor as an ethnic character, fictional or non fictional :D

Apparently Gengis Khan was the spitting image of John Wayne
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's about proportion. When we reach the day when everything is fifty/fifty, then go ahead with the Shaft reboot.

When the majority of established fictional characters is still white, it's generally not a good idea to reduce the already-tiny number of established non-white fictional characters.

It's all numbers and proportion, really.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Come up with new action movie franchises that have lead characters of all ethnic backgrounds.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member

Yes when "Miss Saigon" transferred from London to Broadway, there was uproar as the Asian character of the engineer was played by a non-Asian.

So seems it only works one way against white people.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Bond has, up until now, been portrayed as a white male.

The parts of 'M' and 'Q' are merely job titles so could be applied to anyone.

Unlike Timelords, who are not bound by human genetics, humans don't usually change skin colour, or gender, spontaneously except by a medical condition or surgery / treatment.

That said, James' friend Felix Leiter has changed race a few times over the years and he has never so much as raised an eyebrow. :D
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Blackwood and the guy who plays Patrick in Eastenders aren't being considered :)

I don't think June Sarpong is that busy in the new year though :D
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forget race, Leiter grew back his leg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Hollywood has never cast a white actor as an ethnic character, fictional or non fictional :D

Apparently Gengis Khan was the spitting image of John Wayne

:D:D I'm hoping someone will remake The Set-Up (1949), one of my favourite boxing films, one day.

Pansy, the protagonist in Joseph Moncure March's poem, is an ageing black boxer, who's expected to make a living from taking a dive during boxing matches, but he rebels while knowing it may be at expense of his life. While adapting it for the screen, the studio changed Pansy's ethnicity and name for actor Robert Ryan. Although a decent film, I always felt it was a shame because that change lessened the impact.

That was then, this is now - so I'd love to see a remake happening some day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes when "Miss Saigon" transferred from London to Broadway, there was uproar as the Asian character of the engineer was played by a non-Asian.

So seems it only works one way against white people.

You make a good point if Idris took on the Bond role as a white man.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldnt bother me, Idris Elba is a great actor! Michael Fassbender would be my second choice.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not averse to the idea of a black Bond but not overly keen on Idris Elba playing it.

Few people have asked ex Holby and Rev actor Jimmy Akingbola if he'd ever do it, he'd love it.
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But hes not black in the book, this would never happen if the roles were reversed