Options

why do things just stop working?

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why?

Computer been going fine for weeks and yesterday, I loaded up Vegas and it just stopped at the splash screen and would not carry on, I tried all sorts to get it working, rebooted the computer at some point later on and blue screen of death. I eventually got into windows, but it just would not stay stable.
so I have just done a clean install and now have to start again. i thought i had a image, but I have not, so once I get everything reinstalled I will do a image using clonezilla

i am not impressed.

Comments

• Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    If you were running a sturdy Packard Bell with Windows 95, it would still be fully functioning today. Technology these days is meant to be disposable and not meant to last. Hence Windows 7,8, and 9 being released so close together. The average life span of a computer is 3 / 4 years. They could work on machines that only need updating every 10 - 20 years but they wouldn't make as much money.

If something isn't done in the most logical fashion you can bet making money and creating jobs is the reason why!
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Graphics card I bought from Amazon stopped working exactly after 3 years and Amazon claim it is out of the warranty period.

More money down the flusher.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Why?

Computer been going fine for weeks and yesterday, I loaded up Vegas and it just stopped at the splash screen and would not carry on, I tried all sorts to get it working, rebooted the computer at some point later on and blue screen of death. I eventually got into windows, but it just would not stay stable.
    so I have just done a clean install and now have to start again. i thought i had a image, but I have not, so once I get everything reinstalled I will do a image using clonezilla

i am not impressed.

Are you sure the PC isn't overheating?
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were running a sturdy Packard Bell with Windows 95, it would still be fully functioning today.

Fine as long as you don't want to communicate with the modern world. Surfing with IE 5.5 isn't much fun, because most sites don't support it. Flash only came out in '96 and javascript had just been invented.

I have '95 in a VM and fire it up now and then for a laugh. It's nice to hear the old start up sounds. I'm always amazed at how many websites will (half) open in IE 5.5. Fair play to the coders that try to make sites as backward compatible as possible, but there are limits.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were running a sturdy Packard Bell with Windows 95, it would still be fully functioning today. Technology these days is meant to be disposable and not meant to last. Hence Windows 7,8, and 9 being released so close together. The average life span of a computer is 3 / 4 years. They could work on machines that only need updating every 10 - 20 years but they wouldn't make as much money.

If something isn't done in the most logical fashion you can bet making money and creating jobs is the reason why!

The timespan between windows 7, 8 and 9 is pretty much the same as windows 3.1, 95 and 98. On average Microsoft has released a new OS every 2 to 3 years since Windows 1.0, it was only the rewrite of longhorn that made the gap between XP and Vista longer. As for running Windows 95 on a packard bell, I seem to recall that with 95, 98, 98SE and the abomination that was Windows ME you needed to reinstall them every few months otherwise the OS would grind to a halt as it filled itself up with rubbish and the old dos based memory management made blue screens a very common occurrence.

Good quality hardware today is far more reliable than the stuff of a couple decades ago. Back in the 80s and early 90s TVs and video recorders would regularly break down hence the number of TV repair shops that were on British high streets. Today technology is reliable enough that TV repair men have all but disappeared.

The problem with building a computer to last 20 years is that technology is constantly changing and being refined. My old Amiga 1200 still runs as well today as it did when I bought it 20 years ago but in terms of computing power you will find a modern TV remote has more processing power than an Amiga.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

i am not impressed.
    Try getting the hoover out and clean out any dust inside of the machine. A can of compressed air is good for blowing out the dust from the hard to reach places. This hot weather can make computers overheat, especially when they are clogged with dust, which will make them unstable and far more likely to crash for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

i am not impressed.

Have you tried deleting the desktop shortcut and then creating a new one from the program files?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks peoples for all the ideas, but I have done all this anyway.

I cleaned out the computer a couple of days back when i put the sound card in, use compressed air can, cleaned filters.
    Machine is not over heating, 31 c at idle, fan speed about 800RPM. even when I push the machine to the max, the temperature only goes up to about 50 and the fan max is about 1300RPM, and it can go a lot faster than that.

Vegas just seemed to have got stuck at the plugins for some reason, I gave up int he end and reinstalled windows, reinstalled Vegas, now i got to reinstall the plug ins, that will take a while, then i will certainly do a image.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things stop working because everything wears down and suffers damage from daily use.

So-called digital computers are in fact analogue at their heart, they are a physical thing and physical things wear out.

If something is made better from the beginning then it might last longer, but will eventually go wrong.
  • Options
    ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes Windows updates can 'break' applications - either by replacing system files or registry changes. Apart from that it can be adware / virus / trojans that can cause it, or subtle hard disk corruption due to a gradual failing.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks peoples for all the ideas, but I have done all this anyway.

I cleaned out the computer a couple of days back when i put the sound card in, use compressed air can, cleaned filters.
    Machine is not over heating, 31 c at idle, fan speed about 800RPM. even when I push the machine to the max, the temperature only goes up to about 50 and the fan max is about 1300RPM, and it can go a lot faster than that.

Vegas just seemed to have got stuck at the plugins for some reason, I gave up int he end and reinstalled windows, reinstalled Vegas, now i got to reinstall the plug ins, that will take a while, then i will certainly do a image.

You should have uninstalled and then reinstalled Sony Vegas. Wiping the drive when installing Windows should only be done when it's the last resort. Anyway, you've got it working again.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My dad's old Acer laptop snuffed it in summer 2012 just a couple of weeks after the warranty ended. The graphics card went and that led to the motherboard going. The machine was unrepairable. I don't know why as the machine seemed to be working and he used it every day. On the other hand, his old XP laptop from 2004 has a broken screen but it still works. It's very slow though.

I've had loads of things break on me over the last few months for no reason whatsoever. A phone charger broke, the SD card in my 'phone broke, a couple of pairs of headphones broke, my Macbook Air charger broke, my tablet nearly broke, two iPod chargers broke, my tablet nearly broke... >:( I think I know who did it. I really should confront her someday :D
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My desktop packed up, leaving me with just one laptop (no smartphones or anything else)

I was a bit worried so I bought a cheap 2nd laptop. Being offline these days is unthinkable.

But what really worries me is the Central Heating or the car or some other expensive item going.

Fingers crossed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shimano wrote: »
    Sometimes Windows updates can 'break' applications - either by replacing system files or registry changes. Apart from that it can be adware / virus / trojans that can cause it, or subtle hard disk corruption due to a gradual failing.

Just windows being normal I suppose. Strange i thought we got over these problems with windows 7, I never thought they would come back with windows 8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    You should have uninstalled and then reinstalled Sony Vegas. Wiping the drive when installing Windows should only be done when it's the last resort. Anyway, you've got it working again.

I did that, I even used software that got rid of things that the windows uninstall don't. I even uninstalled the plugins first, but Vegas still got stuck.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its run out of magical fairy dust. I suggest you sprinkle some more on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its run out of magical fairy dust. I suggest you sprinkle some more on.

i think I need to, I still got a problem when the machine comes out of sleep mode it reboots. I have to have a better look tomorrow
    Works ok in linux.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever it is in my laptop that makes videos play on YouTube, Facebook and all other video sites has suddenly stopped working. It was okay until a couple of days ago.
    I haven't done anything that would make it stop working, so why has it stopped ?
    All I get when I click on a video is a solid green screen (I can hear the audio though)
    So how do I get it to work again ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever it is in my laptop that makes videos play on YouTube, Facebook and all other video sites has suddenly stopped working. It was okay until a couple of days ago.
    I haven't done anything that would make it stop working, so why has it stopped ?
    All I get when I click on a video is a solid green screen (I can hear the audio though)
    So how do I get it to work again ??

Uninstall then reinstall Abode Flash player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Uninstall then reinstall Abode Flash player.

Nope. Still nothing but a green screen. >:(
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Try system restore Andy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Try system restore Andy.

I can't do that, evilc. because this is a loan laptop while my own laptop is in for repair.
    I don't know how to do it anyway.:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't do that, evilc. because this is a loan laptop while my own laptop is in for repair.
    I don't know how to do it anyway.:blush:

Yes you can, and, yes you do.

Just press Start and type 'system restore'.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    So-called digital computers are in fact analogue at their heart, they are a physical thing and physical things wear out.
    Two very strange assertions!

1. Computers use almost ALL digital circuitry, apart from the audio and video outputs and part of the power supply.

2. Moving parts wear out. Parts that have no movement associated with them (e.g. no liquid or sand flowing past) don't wear out, although they could be degraded by the action of sunlight, microbes and other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_yxUVhHRM0
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... if you consider that computers are the most complicated and unstable machines ever made. all that software,which must be well and truly debugged before being marketed .......

just a single bit error can cause a program to behave differently. or crash the computer if in a vital operating system area .......

data integrity is quite unbelievably good, but statistically, sometimes an error will occur .....