Options

Canon Ip 7250

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think there are some people on this forum that have the same printer or at least one almost the same.

I leave the printer on all the time as it takes ages to sort itself out when I first switch it on. Ok I will correct that, I try to leave it on all the time, but I find that the printer will not print via wi-fi from my windows 8.1 computer unless I turn the printer off and on again.

I have not tried it from other computers or even the phone, I may do at some point. But just wondering if anyone else have the same problem.

I could i suppose always put it onto USB for the main computer as they are next to each other.

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the printer have a fixed IP address or is it set to use DHCP to get an address from the router? I've had issues with network printers and DHCP in the past. Symptoms are that the computers lose contact with the printer randomly so when you go to print all you get is an error message saying there is no printer.

I found that giving the printer a fixed IP address cured these problems by and large.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I could i suppose always put it onto USB for the main computer as they are next to each other.

Why would you not to begin with? If you have the choice, use a cable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Does the printer have a fixed IP address or is it set to use DHCP to get an address from the router? I've had issues with network printers and DHCP in the past. Symptoms are that the computers lose contact with the printer randomly so when you go to print all you get is an error message saying there is no printer.

I found that giving the printer a fixed IP address cured these problems by and large.

Oh yes, that could be the problem, I will have to have a look in the instructions as there is no screen on this printer.

Thanks for that, I will have a look tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Why would you not to begin with? If you have the choice, use a cable.

Because the cable fell down the back of the computer and also I still need to sort it out for the laptop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are some people on this forum that have the same printer or at least one almost the same.

I leave the printer on all the time as it takes ages to sort itself out when I first switch it on. Ok I will correct that, I try to leave it on all the time, but I find that the printer will not print via wi-fi from my windows 8.1 computer unless I turn the printer off and on again.

I have not tried it from other computers or even the phone, I may do at some point. But just wondering if anyone else have the same problem.

Thanks for any replies

Plug the USB cable in and use the IJ Network Tool to configure the IP address as Static. You have to configure it via the USB port as it's impossible to do via setup - except on the first attempt. You can see it as Network but the utility will fail to connect due to auto private IP.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

Thanks for any replies

I’ve had an ip7250 for over a year and I haven’t experienced the issues you describe that need the printer to be re-set.

I run it wirelessly through a Virgin Superhub using a laptop win7-64 and a desktop win7-32.

I haven’t tried it with win8 so can’t comment I’m afraid, but it certainly seems to work ok ‘wirelessly’ with win8.1 from reports I’ve read.

It does occasionally have a mind of its own when first switched on but apart from that it’s been pretty flawless.

Just a stab in the dark really, but have you had a play about with the functions:

‘Managing the Printer Power’ and ‘Reducing the Printer Noise’?

Instructions are in the ‘Printer Driver Options’ section of the manual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    I’ve had an ip7250 for over a year and I haven’t experienced the issues you describe that need the printer to be re-set.

I run it wirelessly through a Virgin Superhub using a laptop win7-64 and a desktop win7-32.

I haven’t tried it with win8 so can’t comment I’m afraid, but it certainly seems to work ok ‘wirelessly’ with win8.1 from reports I’ve read.

It does occasionally have a mind of its own when first switched on but apart from that it’s been pretty flawless.

Just a stab in the dark really, but have you had a play about with the functions:

‘Managing the Printer Power’ and ‘Reducing the Printer Noise’?

Instructions are in the ‘Printer Driver Options’ section of the manual.

I know this reply is a bit late, very late. but I have only really just managed to muck about with settings on my printer.
    you was right, it was the power management, I change it to auto on and auto off, but to be honest I thought it would have been like that as default.

Anyway, so far so good, the printer will switch on now when I print, lets hope it lasts.

Also, while not really anything to do with my printer, I was impressed today with a Epson printer, I do not normally like Epson.

My brother got himself a Epson Expression Home XP-422. I set it up for his laptop, desktop and Android tablet, while it was a bit fiddly to set the router password and the software was a bit large and took ages to instal. i was impressed by the quality of the print.
    But what I liked was the app on the tablet, it allows the unit to scan directly to the tablet, now that is really cool.
    Ok, I used the word cool, something I do not normally use.

while I still think the build is a bit naff, like my Canon is like a tank, but the Epson seems a bit flimsy, I still like the printer.

would i buy a Epson myself? I doubt it as I still like Canon
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...I leave the printer on all the time as it takes ages to sort itself out when I first switch it on....

Does that actually make any difference? Mine seems to go through the interminable cleaning cycle if it's not printed for a while whether it's been switched off or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    Does that actually make any difference? Mine seems to go through the interminable cleaning cycle if it's not printed for a while whether it's been switched off or not.

I have not heard it do anything once it is on until I use it.