New EPG on its way

The Big RobertoThe Big Roberto Posts: 132
Forum Member
OK don't shoot the messenger, Sky are currently testing a new EPG update, my friend is one of the people testing it. Some of the new features include a transparent tv guide and banner, and the banner it self will be more user friendly including direct access to Anytime content without going into the tv guide.
I am going to his house at the weekend so hopefully he will let me have a look :)

Comments

• ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK don't shoot the messenger, Sky are currently testing a new EPG update, my friend is one of the people testing it. Some of the new features include a transparent tv guide and banner, and the banner it self will be more user friendly including direct access to Anytime content without going into the tv guide.
    I am going to his house at the weekend so hopefully he will let me have a look :)

Take a camera please :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the boxes can handle it.
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Oh great! Just when the boxes were starting to work properly. :D
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it almost a year from staff testing to going live of the new HD EPG (which still to this day has spelling mistakes!), due to the testers not really bothering to test it (or give feedback on some rather serious problems, presumably because they assumed someone else would).

On that basis, the news today should mean we can enjoy the pleasure of pointing out loads of bugs by Christmas. :p
  • The Big RobertoThe Big Roberto Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I forgot to mention another feature, your planner including series links and recordings will be uploaded to the "cloud" so you can access it from a laptop or idevice, and also if your Sky box fails just plug the new one in and all your recording and series links will be transferred to it via the cloud
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to mention another feature, your planner including series links and recordings will be uploaded to the "cloud" so you can access it from a laptop or idevice, and also if your Sky box fails just plug the new one in and all your recording and series links will be transferred to it via the cloud

we already new about the new EPG, it was reported a while ago.

however, the cloud part doesn't seem believable to me.

we know that we will be able to access our planners from mobile devices, but that is actually accessing your box remotely and not a cloud.

i don't believe sky have the infrastructure to store recorded content.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Take a camera else i dont believe you ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    Take a camera else i dont believe you ;)

the new epg is already known about so the the fact that it is being tested is not in debate.

photos would only prove that this person has access to it.
  • remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »

i don't believe sky have the infrastructure to store recorded content.

Think you're miss understanding the OP, SKY will be making note of your series link settings to an online backup so if you install a new dish that box will simply download the series link information.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    remlap wrote: »
    Think you're miss understanding the OP, SKY will be making note of your series link settings to an online backup so if you install a new dish that box will simply download the series link information.

read it again, the OP also said "recordings".
  • james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening to you all , hope you're all well.

As a couple of posters have already mentioned , the OP is indeed correct. Not necessarily with all his information , but certainly some. Parts of what he has posted has indeed been in testing for some time.

Its a busy year for new products/features.

Kind regards

James
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back on here, James!
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening to you all , hope you're all well.

As a couple of posters have already mentioned , the OP is indeed correct. Not necessarily with all his information , but certainly some. Parts of what he has posted has indeed been in testing for some time.

Its a busy year for new products/features.

Kind regards

James

Can I ask how you know this ? I'm not doubting your word just interested.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

there were videos posted that had NDS demoing upcoming developments, and one showed a sky box being controlled by a mobile device with EPG being pulled direct from the box - with planner info etc.

so we know that NDS are actively working on it.

there has been other info posted previously regarding updated EPGs etc.
  • james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alves wrote: »
    Good to see you back on here, James!

Many thanks , very kind of you to say.

Kind regards

James
  • The Big RobertoThe Big Roberto Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I may be incorrect about the recording bit, I got a bit carried away :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there were videos posted that had NDS demoing upcoming developments, and one showed a sky box being controlled by a mobile device with EPG being pulled direct from the box - with planner info etc.

so we know that NDS are actively working on it.

there has been other info posted previously regarding updated EPGs etc.

It was me who posted the link to the video , but it also demoed NDS snowflake I'm sure we won't be getting that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was me who posted the link to the video , but it also demoed NDS snowflake I'm sure we won't be getting that.

not everything in the video was specific to Sky. NDS do more that just development for Sky.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Many thanks , very kind of you to say.

Kind regards

James

I've really missed your posts James, and I thought you had left these forums. But very nice to see you back.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not everything in the video was specific to Sky. NDS do more that just development for Sky.

Was this the post you referred to
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=54572635&postcount=7
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Everything James Payne has just posted, is all correct. As he stated 2012 is a busy year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Everything James Payne has just posted, I can confirm.

I don't doubt him and your posts have always been spot on , just interested as some of the rumours seem a bit far fetched on this thread. :D
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member

James has been on these forums for a very long time and i'vegreatly missed him andy he Knows a lot what's happening within Sky and he's given some very interesting information In the past that's proved correct.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    James has been on these forums for a very long and I've greatly missed him and he knows a lot what's happening within Sky and he's given some very interesting information In the past that's proved correct.
    Ian.

Seems 2012 could be an interesting year.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't doubt him and your posts have always been spot on , just interested as some of the rumours seem a bit far fetched on this thread. :D

Wish I could tell you more but one has had his collar felt :cry:
This discussion has been closed.