How are you finding Windows 8?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm using Windows 8 PRO with a touchscreen and I think it's really good so far and I am not missing the start button much at all.

How are you finding Windows 8? 233 votes

Love it
33% 78 votes
Indifferent
25% 59 votes
Hate it
41% 96 votes

Comments

• kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setup really should be able to cope with the user folders and profiles not being on the C: drive - that's how (I assume) most people with an SSD are configured. I got around that by editing the relevant registry keys, installing with "keep everything", then changing the profile-pointer keys back.
    Having done that everything - literally - works perfectly.

I'm getting used to the interface - my Windows key is getting a lot more use than before as I slowly learn the shortcuts - much quicker than the "corner" menus.

But the desktop and window borders looks so bland - I guess I'd got used to Aero. It's like I'm running on an ancient graphics card with only 16 colours.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Got it with my new Samsung Series 7 laptop i bought on Tuesday and hate it. Removed it and installed Windows 7 Ultimate again.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The questions ought to be 'If you have actually used the released version of Windows 8, what do you think of it?'

A lot of irrational hatred out there.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upgraded today, installed VS Express for WP and W8, pinned everything I need to taskbar, which is ~15 programmes. Of 5 hours setting up and testing everything I might have seen the ever so popular start screen for maybe a minute. So yeah, I understand why anybody would hate it so much :rolleyes:
  • bpreceybprecey Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I have to admit that I was initially cynical. I have used it now for a couple of weeks and I have to say that I quite like it or am just getting used to it.

I think if I had a touchscreen I might enjoy the new start menu and general navigation more. It's not that radical a change apart from the new start menu interface.

The simple app / style interface and the tiles are good. I like the live tiles.

If I have anything bad thing to say, it would be that overall, it seems confused and fragmented between the desktop and start menu interfaces. two versions of IE? Can't use Java on the start menu version. legacy software launches from the desktop even if it is on the new start menu. As usual I think Microsoft have the unenviable task of trying to please everyone with varying specs of PC's and introducing tablets into this equation is only going to make things worse.

I hope that Microsoft continue to develop this and more people come on board with native windows 8 applications to improve the experience overall.

I have Apple products but am not in any way sold by their efforts in the PC world. I will be sticking with Windows for now.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Can't answer the poll questions as I hate Metro and the missing start button, but otherwise love it.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tried it, didn't like it, went back to windows 7.

Maybe if I was using it on a laptop with a touch screen it would be better or on a tablet.

Windows 7 is like XP for me, I can see me using it for many more years,
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    The lack of start menus isn't the reason why people dislike win8, it's he whole UI mish mash. Also it's utter crap to use on laptop / desktop.
  • AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

A lot of irrational hatred out there.

Yes, there seems to be.

I would have thought a lot of users here would have enjoyed getting to know it, but it often doesn't seem to be given a chance.

As a non-expert "ordinary" user with a non touch laptop, I have given it a week and it is now almost as familiar, and therefore as easy to use, as W7.
    Give it another week and I expect to be fully up to speed.

Of course it is not perfect, but it is very good imho, and deserves a chance.
  • Snake_EaterSnake_Eater Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find my self getting on with it better now I have installed start8, I have not had to use that metro shit since I installed it. WIN!!
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I find my self getting on with it better now I have installed start8, I have not had to use that metro shit since I installed it. WIN!!

What's the point of upgrade then?
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely wonderful. It even has dictionary correction in forum response windows.

It's a great leap forward and it has a style all of it's own.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a spare laptop which I was going to install it on, their is a problem though.

The Windows 8 hardware spec on the Microsoft website states a minimum screen resolution of 1366x768 is required and the laptop is 1280x800.

I can see this locking out a lot of PC's from the upgrade path.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need at least 1366x768 to snap the apps, but W8 will run with 1280x800, too. I had the same resolution on tablets with W8 pro I tried and it worked fine.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Having read all the negative stuff on here, I didn't know what to do about buying something with W8 on it and had resolved not to bother yet. When thy replaced a desktop at the charity I help out at they got a W8 PC. Having used it for 3 days, I have to say, I quite like it and don't find it that difficult to get around and really quite like it (even 'Modern UI').
    I suppose sooner or later there will be a few left on W7, sounding like XP fans not moving to W7.
    A lot of the reasons for not liking it seem to be personal preferences regarding the appearance and not really any indictment of the OS for daily usage.
    I'll give it a couple more weeks to get a bit more confident with it and then I'll look at getting it for home.
    That said I'll keep my W7 laptop as is. purely because I'd like to start with W8 from scratch on my new PC.......:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    What's the point of upgrade then?

Thought I would try it out for a fiver. Unusable without the start menu.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a spare laptop which I was going to install it on, their is a problem though.

The Windows 8 hardware spec on the Microsoft website states a minimum screen resolution of 1366x768 is required and the laptop is 1280x800.

I can see this locking out a lot of PC's from the upgrade path.

My laptop is 1280x800, Windows 8 runs fine on it, Metro Snap is the only feature I miss out on.
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    At first i hated it when i downloaded the rc version but since buying it has a upgrade with adding a ssd and having W8 has my only os i am getting use to it.
    It was a big improvement installing start8 to get the start menu back.

My son loves it tho because he can get free games in the app store like his ipad too.

Just a shame it doesn't have aero does look abit basic after having W7 like a big step backwards looks wise
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I would try it out for a fiver.

Where is it available for a fiver? :confused:
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put indifferent, there are some good features about it and then there are others not so good.

The modern UI is the main problem I have it it and also the flat desktop. I put classic shell on and I don't even have to see the modern UI.

The OS is fast, it boots up fast, take s a age to close down mind you. But I am still getting a problem with it freezing with dragon, I wondering now if it is one of the extensions that windows 8 don't like.

The few Modern UI apps I have seen are basic and not really worth bothering with.
    i got about another 5 days to decide if I am going to keep it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Where is it available for a fiver? :confused:

I had some promotion code thing as it was an upgrade scheme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had some promotion code thing as it was an upgrade scheme.

Surely that's £15
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it apart from the fact my WLAN driver is not compatible (not MS fault) so it keeps rebooting my PC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing not working on my laptop is a fingerprint logon to Windows. The reader works, I can enroll fingerprints, just there's no integration into UI. I think it's google time.
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    The only issue I have is that the Western Digital Anytime Backup software for my work book isn't working.
    Just say's when you try and run it that it ain't compatible with this version of Windows