9200T ending all Film4 films early at 1min to the hour

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
I'm having a very specific and predictable problem with my (otherwise beloved) 9200T & was wondering if anyone else has this and if it is a known issue.

For the last week or so (maybe longer - I had signal issues until recently so it's hard to tell) every time I try to record a film on Film4, the recording ends early. Specifically, the recording always ends at one minute to the hour. So for example, I select a film in the EPG starting at 23:15, ending 01:10. The "Schedule" page (yellow button) shows the start and end times I'm expecting. Afterwards, I find I have a recording running 23:15 to 23:59. It's the correct programme, just not all of it.

Thinking this was odd, as a test I went off and recorded a range of films, differing times of day and lengths. Every one ended early at a time ending in 59! So for example I got 18:10 to 18:59, 00:30 to 00:59 etc etc. No exceptions, every one ends like this. As far as I can tell, they never make it past a 1 hour boundary, i.e. every recording is at most 59 minutes.

I think Humax+Film4 is a great combination and it has meant I've been watching interesting films at a time which suits me. So I'm a bit gutted about them all ending early.:cry:

So far as I can tell, it's only Film4 which has this issue, I have other recordings over 1 hour long on other channels. I'm now recording films across a range of channels to see if it really is just F4.

Any ideas anyone? Film4 broadcasting quirky data? Obscure bug in Hummy? I'm on .21 software if that makes any difference (have been for ages).

Regards,

D Osset

Comments

• Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't fix the problem, but as a work-around you could manually pad the start and end times of Film4 programmes.

By maually padding you remove series-link data and you should find that you get the entire film, and all your other programmes on other channels will still have series link intact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Thanks Seymour Cat, I'll try that.

I've tried a few more films since then and here's what I found. Every single Film4 film ends early at 1 minute to the hour. I also tried BBC1, BBC2, ITV and a couple of others. With one exception, they all recorded OK. One film on BBC1 ended early on a 59. So I don't know if there's a pattern there or not!

Anyway, I'm still curious. Is it an error in the programme information sent during the transmission? Would a broadcaster try to discourage recording in this sort of way? An obscure bug in the 9200? Really wondering if anyone else gets this problem.:confused:

Dosset
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosset wrote: »
    Thanks Seymour Cat, I'll try that.

I've tried a few more films since then and here's what I found. Every single Film4 film ends early at 1 minute to the hour. I also tried BBC1, BBC2, ITV and a couple of others. With one exception, they all recorded OK. One film on BBC1 ended early on a 59. So I don't know if there's a pattern there or not!

Anyway, I'm still curious. Is it an error in the programme information sent during the transmission? Would a broadcaster try to discourage recording in this sort of way? An obscure bug in the 9200? Really wondering if anyone else gets this problem.:confused:

Dosset
    It's probably the Film4 channel.

I don't record this channel, but as you have found, most other channels are OK with their Accurate Recording signals.

You can get a programme terminated early in a set of circumstances known as the Late Running Bug, but unless you are having a recording start on another channel immediately following your Film4 recording, and the schedules are running late, it is unlikely you are triggering this.

Sometimes, progs will "appear" to finish early, re the time billed in the schedules. You may not lose content with these, as the broadcaster is running early in its schedules, and the AR is finishing the recording at the "corrected" time.

You will come across other channels with poor AR & SL performance, notably C5, and sometimes C4. As has been suggested, if you find a channel, or a particular prog on that channel, giving you problems, set a manually padded timer for it, and if it is in a series, set the appropriate repeat option.

I don't think it is a conspiracy by the broadcaster to stop you recording films in full :D:D:D

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Les.

I hadn't appreciated that it was a common problem. I guess it'll probably improve when someone at F4 realises it's playing up a bit.

Glad to hear it's not deliberate :D. I suppose if it really was a conspiracy then it'd be far more effective, and they'd have thought of it years ago! No slur intended on F4 btw, great channel, makes freeview ideal for me.

Dosset
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    It's probably the Film4 channel.

I don't record this channel, but as you have found, most other channels are OK with their Accurate Recording signals.

Les.
    dosset wrote: »
    Thanks Les.

I hadn't appreciated that it was a common problem.

I record from film4 once or twice a week and always get the whole film.
    But more to the point I have not seen any other reports of the recording stopping as described in the original post. I've seen quite a few for AR issues that have other symptoms but none like this where al recordings are no more than an hour and the recording stopped when the first o'clock had been reached.

BTW. dosset, if you successfully record an hour long programme the reported time is 59 minutes. This is because it takes a few seconds to start recording and then when displaying the length it rounds the time down to a whole number of minutes. For the actual time you need to play the recording and check the play bar info.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Luis Essex.

I used to record f4 once or twice a week and it worked (pretty much) all the time, from when it first went free up until recently. Have you recorded films in the last few weeks (guess you have) ? Maybe my box is playing up in an obscure way.

Have noticed that a 1hr programme -> 59 minute recording. Since this (f4 thing) started happening every time I see a :59 in my recorded programs I get paranoid that I've lost half a racording! :confused: But a lot of the time (and pretty much everything except film 4) it's just an hour long programme which ended (properly) on the hour. I know it's not perfect but generally AR has worked pretty well for me up until now.
  • TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    There have been quite a few channel changes over the past few months, when was the last time you did a channel rescan?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I have also been having this problem, so I'm glad to see it's not just me going mad!

At first I thought it was Film4 recordings that went over 23:59, but I notice hat other Film4 recordings during the day will also stop just before the hour change. Occasionally it will record a >1hr programme sucessfully, but more often than not, it will fail.

I will try a channel rescan and post back what happens.

Lee
    Forum Member
    As suggested in an earlier post, I removed Film4 from my channel list, rescanned, and re-added it. After recording a couple of films yesterday, both seem to have recorded sucessfully. I will try some more today to see if this has fixed the problem.
    Forum Member
    Well, I've recorded half a dozen film 4 programmes since rescanning and readding the channel, and all seem to have records, so I think it may have fixed the problem. Dosset, you might want to give it a go.

Lee
  • jw75jw75 Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I had a similar problem with ITV4 when it moved from 28 to 24. It went away after re-tuning to the new channel. I wondered if the box had been picking up AR info from the old number, now occupied by E4.
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem with Film4, and happened to be watching something live on Film4 one day when the channel suddenly switched to a Smile TV logo on the hour, so I'm guessing that's what had been happening with the timer recordings, I've rescanned the channels and had no more problems yet so hopefully that's gone now.
    Forum Member
    Well, It seemed to be fixed for quite a while, but over the last week I've had 3 films recorded from Film 4 that have all ended at one minute to the hour instead of the correct ending time.

Has something else changed in the tunings recently? Anyone else experienced this?

Lee
  • MikepMikep Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    LeeCotton wrote: »
    Well, It seemed to be fixed for quite a while, but over the last week I've had 3 films recorded from Film 4 that have all ended at one minute to the hour instead of the correct ending time.

Has something else changed in the tunings recently? Anyone else experienced this?

Lee

I've not recorded anything on Film 4 for a while but a while back (6 months or more) I found that I was getting incomplete recordings, sometimes as short as 10 minutes, but never longer than an hour, so basically gave up!! Other Channels OK though do get some clipping off the front of Merlin every week!
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikep wrote: »
    I've not recorded anything on Film 4 for a while but a while back (6 months or more) I found that I was getting incomplete recordings, sometimes as short as 10 minutes, but never longer than an hour, so basically gave up!! Other Channels OK though do get some clipping off the front of Merlin every week!
    This was happening when the old channel number (32) had not been deleted prior to retuning into the new number 15.

It is a bit of a pain but a full delete of all chanels and a manual retune gets rid of many of the possible issues.

See http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...=#post36261134

but note that if your transmitter has undergone (or started) digital-switch-over then you should only manually tune to 5 MUXs. (MUX B is the one to omit).
    Forum Member
    Well, I deleted Film4, then rescanned and re-added it, and it seems to be behaving itself again. Not sure what happened there!

Lee