Options

Oh Great a Harry Potter Play!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
I may be biased because i'm not and never have been a HP fan.

I found the books ok but the films full of wooden acting and I struggled to see what Harry actually ever did other than feel sorry for himself - but that's an aside.

A lot of press coverage because JK has decided to milk away at her creation, and if you have something making you millions then why not, BUT, there is a huge difference between an exciting book that readers can use their imagination with, a multi-million pound film franchise with special effects to woo the audience...and a stage play!

Don't care how many award the director has had, LOTR didn't work and i stuggle to see how this will.

But then again I wouldn't waste my time or money going to see it anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eighteen years today since Harry Potter first published, says Rowling on Twitter today.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Good grief, that long ago? :(
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read any of the books or seen any of the films. There are hundreds of excellent books I've yet to read, and HP isn't on the list so I doubt I'd spend money on a play.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    They can make what they want as long as it isn't made obligatory to see it

Don't like it? Don't pay money for it and you won't have to see it
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a nasty post OP. Fine if Harry isn't to your taste but I have to take issue with some of your points:
    1. Harry was incredibly brave and did not spend all the time 'feeling sorry for himself', he did that very little given his circumstances.
    2. JK 'milking her creation' well that's up to her, she created HP and has every right to do so. She can write as much as she wants set in the HP universe and plenty of people would love it if she did.
    3. If JK has decided a stage play is the way to go then she must have a good reason for it.
    4. Nobody is forcing you to go and see the play.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like you upset a member of DA radio_first ^^
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Looks like you upset a member of DA radio_first ^^

Upset is a bit strong. I just found the opening post rather pathetic.

Why bother going on about a play you have no intention of seeing?
    It's just a silly attempt to ridicule anyone who does want to go and see it while trying to make yourself sound superior. There are lots of plays going on that I have no interest in at all but if other people want to see them that's their choice.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can the films be "full of wooden acting" exactly?.

Have you seen some of the acting talent in those films?.

A veritable Who's Who, Creme de la Creme of British talent!. If you ain't interested then why post OP?. No one is going to force you at gunpoint to see the play you know!.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Harry did not spend all his time feeling sorry for himself!. Quite the opposite IMO.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £££ kerching.
    JK milking the cash cow once again.

She hasn't got a penny from me.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A veritable Who's Who, Creme de la Creme of British talent!.

Yeah, the "wooden acting" remark was a bit silly. The younger actors perhaps lacked a bit of experience, but the likes of Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Richard Harris, Michael Gambon, Helena Bonham Carter, Julie Walters, Imelda Staunton, Jason Isaacs and Gary Oldman performed their roles brilliantly.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    £££ kerching.
    JK milking the cash cow once again.

She hasn't got a penny from me.

Milking the cash cow ? this will be one of the few Brits in her band of money that has not shifted it all off shore, pays all her taxes and gives generously to charity. The films were not hers she was asked to sell the rights to make the films which she did, why would she not ?

As for a cash cow, just because she was successful after years of trying should she give up working ? if you had many years of success at work should you give up your job ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Milking the cash cow ? this will be one of the few Brits in her band of money that has not shifted it all off shore, pays all her taxes and gives generously to charity. The films were not hers she was asked to sell the rights to make the films which she did, why would she not ?

As for a cash cow, just because she was successful after years of trying should she give up working ? if you had many years of success at work should you give up your job ?

Yes Jo gives absolutely loads to charity.:)
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eighteen years today since Harry Potter first published, says Rowling on Twitter today.

Hasn't that Rowling woman got anything better to do than go on and on about Harry fe cking Potter ad infinitum?
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Meaning some adults now never lived in a time when there was no Harry Potter.
  • Options
    RuthvenRuthven Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Hasn't that Rowling woman got anything better to do than go on and on about Harry fe cking Potter ad infinitum?

Perhaps it's because people are still interested.
    You may not be, but educate yourself before judging.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruthven wrote: »
    Perhaps it's because people are still interested.
    You may not be, but educate yourself before judging.

About what? Rowling? HP? The fans? I know enough to be bored with Rowling and her continual harping on and on about HP et al. Hence my opinion! :p
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    I may be biased because i'm not and never have been a HP fan.

I found the books ok but the films full of wooden acting and I struggled to see what Harry actually ever did other than feel sorry for himself - but that's an aside.

A lot of press coverage because JK has decided to milk away at her creation, and if you have something making you millions then why not, BUT, there is a huge difference between an exciting book that readers can use their imagination with, a multi-million pound film franchise with special effects to woo the audience...and a stage play!

Don't care how many award the director has had, LOTR didn't work and i stuggle to see how this will.

But then again I wouldn't waste my time or money going to see it anyway.

Then why go to the trouble of making a thread? How odd.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I don't like about this play idea is that it's not a book. Not everybody lives in London.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I must say I find it a bit embarrassing to be a HP fan with some of the OTT defensive posts on this thread. The OP hasn't personally insulted anybody, just posted their own opinion that they are perfectly entitled to hold. Unless someone can helpfully pinpoint what is so offensive about the post, as I am struggling to see it?

I must say whilst part of me will always be happy to see more of the HP world, another did think 'milking it' with this announcement. It's clear she's found it more difficult to let go of than she thought but is determined that she will absolutely not go against her word by doing a direct HP book sequel.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    I must say whilst part of me will always be happy to see more of the HP world, another did think 'milking it' with this announcement. It's clear she's found it more difficult to let go of than she thought but is determined that she will absolutely not go against her word by doing a direct HP book sequel.

Yet ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It always amazes me the snobbery around HP. LOTR fans are allowed to love their fantasy world, and the only difference I can see is that the author is dead. Instead, Rowling is alive (and female) and working with a very successful, much loved British character, and she constantly gets slated. Personally I haven't heard a bad word about her, the very fact she took herself out of "billionaire" status by giving so much money to charity is commendable.

I'd like to see the play. I loved the studio tour. I'd love to go to Harry Potter World one day. But there are some people who don't get it and that's fine. I just don't see the need for very personal remarks about a lady who seems to have done very little harm to anyone, ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    What a nasty post OP. Fine if Harry isn't to your taste but I have to take issue with some of your points:
    1. Harry was incredibly brave and did not spend all the time 'feeling sorry for himself', he did that very little given his circumstances.
    2. JK 'milking her creation' well that's up to her, she created HP and has every right to do so. She can write as much as she wants set in the HP universe and plenty of people would love it if she did.
    3. If JK has decided a stage play is the way to go then she must have a good reason for it.
    4. Nobody is forcing you to go and see the play.

So apparently having an opinion is being nasty - god let's not tell kids to speak up in class then!

I never said she shouldn't milk away and yes many people will go and see the play and if it was you or I in her position then we would probably do the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A veritable Who's Who, Creme de la Creme of British talent!. If you ain't interested then why post OP?. No one is going to force you at gunpoint to see the play you know!.:)

I was referring to the young leads who were as talented as...well tbh they just were there for looks more than anything.

The rest of the cast were impressive "at times".
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her two 'Robert Galbraith' books (so far) are decent. The third one, 'Career of Evil' is out in October and I'm seriously looking forward to it!

Anything Jo does to do with HP is always going to be high-profile. I'm all for it because it's something that's important to a LOT of people. I find those who can't stand her success to be relatively amusing individuals. :p