Options

TV progs.old/new that scared you....

goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just been looking at an old recording I did of Ghosts of the London Underground all alone late at night and it scared the ..... the people reporting sitings were obviously convinced they saw and heard things, usually when working late at night including actually walking the tunnels.

Another scary one was the original Whistle and I'll Come To You.

What's scared you?

Comments

• Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    The original "Whistle and I'll come to you" still scares me to this day.

I love to watch it just before Xmas with the lights out and a platter of cheese and biscuits with a glass of port.

The Signalman and Treasure of Abbott Thomas also creeped me out.

When I was very young the Dr Who story "The Daemons" terrified me. The opening, bok, Azal. "The Sea-Devils" also terrified me.

Children of the Stones I found very eerie.

The adaptation of Woman in Black in the late eighties (may be early nineties) really scared me.
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    I've just been looking at an old recording I did of Ghosts of the London Underground all alone late at night and it scared the ..... the people reporting sitings were obviously convinced they saw and heard things, usually when working late at night including actually walking the tunnels.

Another scary one was the original Whistle and I'll Come To You.

What's scared you?

This was on one of the satellite channels last week.

I remember being terrified as a child of a film (maybe a TV film) of something I think was called "Seagull Island" Does anyone remember this? Would love to look it up to see if it is still as freaky as I remember.

Also, around the same time, I walked into the front room when my parents were watching "Roots" and I saw the hideous sight of a man with his foot chopped off trying to walk home. That stayed with me a while!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stone Tape :eek: .... no contest :eek:... wouldn't stay alone in any old buildings after I saw it :eek: ... and have never dared watch it since its original transmission :eek:
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    The Stone Tape :eek: .... no contest :eek:... wouldn't stay alone in any old buildings after I saw it :eek: ... and have never dared watch it since its original transmission :eek:

How could I forget that !!!

I first saw it in the mid eighties.

Terrifying.
  • Options
    thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Demon Headmaster used to scare me when I was a kid :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    Not the show, but the opening credits for 'The Tomorrow People' used to scare the pants off me when I was a kid. :o:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xez4o1ujOPI
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a programme that gave me nightmares for months after I saw it, probably mid 70's, with a little girl in a farmhouse on a moor and something scratching about in the attic, no idea what it was called,but I think rooks/crows were involved too wish I could remember what it was called
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has to be strange but true for me
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My childhood terrors were caused by 'Batman' (yes, I know!), but only the bits where he'd do that 'sideways walking up the wall while clutching on a rope' thing with Robin. The minute they'd start doing that I'd hide behind the sofa and scream till my mum came rushing in from the kitchen to turn the channel over, muttering motherly sweet nothings like 'Oh, for chris'sake, I'm trying to put the bleepin' washing away!'

I didn't think you could get more pathetic than this until I discovered my husband was scared of Basil Brush when he was a kid :D
  • Options
    Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tales of the unexpected, used to scare the crap out of me as a kid.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twin Peaks - was far too young when I watched it and it gave me nightmares for years.

I had the same thing happen with Watership Down too. Scary rabbits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    The "Salem's Lot" mini series really scared me when I was a kid when the BBC aired it back in about 1980!!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything involving Eamonn Holmes - terrifying:eek:
  • Options
    *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember in another thread someone said a foreign short film called La Cabina (I think) that was shown back in the late 70s/early 80s, when BBC2 used to show their classic (and much missed) horror double bill on Saturday nights, was really eerie and disturbing, and stayed with them. So I watched it on google videos and I don't think I'll ever forget it. Very poignant, haunting and scary!!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weigh-Man wrote: »

The opening credits for this mixed with the eerie theme music used to scare me when I was a nipper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    My childhood terrors were caused by 'Batman' (yes, I know!), but only the bits where he'd do that 'sideways walking up the wall while clutching on a rope' thing with Robin. The minute they'd start doing that I'd hide behind the sofa and scream till my mum came rushing in from the kitchen to turn the channel over, muttering motherly sweet nothings like 'Oh, for chris'sake, I'm trying to put the bleepin' washing away!'

I didn't think you could get more pathetic than this until I discovered my husband was scared of Basil Brush when he was a kid :D

Dont worry, when I was little I was scared of Noddy! To this day I dont know why, but I used to hide under my bed and cry whenever it came on. Thats quite pathetic :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weigh-Man wrote: »

Yeah, I found the theme tune to this very haunting when I was a young lad.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been told when i was a kid, the kenny everett television show, used to make me jump, when he would come crashing through a tv screen during the titles.

I have cerebral palsy, and was told, i used to jump a mile, and scream loudly at him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Not the show, but the opening credits for 'The Tomorrow People' used to scare the pants off me when I was a kid. :o:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xez4o1ujOPI

There was an episode in the tomorrow people where people were kind of smothered in gum/plastic.....put me off chewing gum for years!!!
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wurzel Gummidge. He freaked me out as a child so much that i would hide behind the sofa till it was over. OH my sisters and brother loved to tease me about this. I mean taking the head off would freak any child.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Anything involving Eamonn Holmes - terrifying:eek:

:DLLOL:D
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One that stuck with me for a long time when I was a kid was a scene from an episode of The Saint where a bloke was sat inside a Gondola and someone stabbed him in the back through the curtain that he was leaning against.

I can't think of anything on telly that's scared me as an adult - if I think there's a chance something will really freak me out then I just don't watch it, but I do know I've been kept awake for a few hours by some programmes. I just can't remember what they were. When I was about eighteen I had sleepless nights for weeks after reading about spontaneous human combustion for the first time, lying there wondering... is that my imagination, or are various bits of my body getting hotter..? :) I feel sorry for anyone who's discovered that particular phenomenom by seeing it on the TV - I'd still be having sleepless nights now :)
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Cadhla* wrote: »
    I remember in another thread someone said a foreign short film called La Cabina (I think) that was shown back in the late 70s/early 80s, when BBC2 used to show their classic (and much missed) horror double bill on Saturday nights, was really eerie and disturbing, and stayed with them. So I watched it on google videos and I don't think I'll ever forget it. Very poignant, haunting and scary!!

Aaargh! :eek: I remember this film so well....it was absolutely terrifying! There's something deeply creepy and sinister about the way the fear slowlybuilds and increases. Like all the most effective chillers, it starts from such an ordinary everyday situation and just gradually spirals into something horrific. Brrr! I'll probably have nightmares again tonight now that I've thought about it again! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    The Clifton House Mystery, terrified me as a kid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One that stuck with me for a long time when I was a kid was a scene from an episode of The Saint where a bloke was sat inside a Gondola and someone stabbed him in the back through the curtain that he was leaning against.

I can't think of anything on telly that's scared me as an adult - if I think there's a chance something will really freak me out then I just don't watch it, but I do know I've been kept awake for a few hours by some programmes. I just can't remember what they were. When I was about eighteen I had sleepless nights for weeks after reading about spontaneous human combustion for the first time, lying there wondering... is that my imagination, or are various bits of my body getting hotter..? :) I feel sorry for anyone who's discovered that particular phenomenom by seeing it on the TV - I'd still be having sleepless nights now :)

We had a case of it in Ireland last year they only reported it on the radio a couple of weeks ago. I'm still freaked out:eek: