Options

Fiona on Susanna...

Fiona Fullerton writing in the Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/strictly-come-dancing/10533534/Fiona-Fullerton-on-the-Strictly-final-I-laughed-and-I-cried-and-I-felt-privileged-to-be-there.html
All those votes from Grimsby couldn’t save Susanna Reid, who approached this competition with a PR campaign driven with military precision. There was definitely an Obama style use of social media and a lack of charm that left most of us bewildered. Every time she entered Tess’s room there were uncomfortable mutterings. It seemed she’d convinced the media she was the outright winner.

The other linked article ("PR Campaign") is at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/strictly-come-dancing/10530771/Strictly-Come-Dancing-2013-Susanna-Reid-is-hottest-property-on-TV.html
"Susanna Reid, the BBC presenter, has become “one of the hottest properties on British television” as she goes into Saturday night’s Strictly Come Dancing final the firm favourite to win, a leading publicist has said."

Interesting to see some fire behind the forum smoke...

Comments

• Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that Fiona was shown cheering loudly for Susanna and that many other contestants and dancers have praised her a lot. Sounds pretty two faced to me :confused:

We don't know what has gone on at all though. I remember Tom Chambers talking about the backstabbing in his year. I didn't see or here uncomfortable mutterings though.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could tell from her previous blogs and from her face after Susanna's quickstep in the final that she wasn't a fan. I'm surprised she drove the nail home quite so hard, but it's probably because she felt a bit safer, PR wise, knowing she wasn't attacking a winner. Not a surprise at all though - whether any of the rest of the cast thought so is another matter...
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting article. I take it she does not like Susanna.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without wishing to be ultra-cynical, I don't think being on SCD is all happiness and light. This suggests it's not all smiles...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/448033/Strictly-Come-Dancing-s-Karen-Hauer-denies-bullying-Ola-Jordan-in-rehearsals

:o
  • Options
    PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rather shocked by this, think it says more about Fiona than anything else to be honest
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Without wishing to be ultra-cynical, I don't think being on SCD is all happiness and light. This suggests it's not all smiles...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/448033/Strictly-Come-Dancing-s-Karen-Hauer-denies-bullying-Ola-Jordan-in-rehearsals

That was all made up by James and his PR team. ;-)
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting article. I think Fiona, along with Deborah and Dave, seemed to be on the show more for experience than publicity, so I can see how a intensive PR campaign would annoy her.

On a side note, how lovely and generous of Ashley.
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Posy wrote: »
    think it says more about Fiona than anything else to be honest

Agreed!
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Well nobody could accuse Fiona of overdoing the PR. She came across as one of the duller, less charming contestants of 2013.
  • Options
    lougarrylougarry Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Without wishing to be ultra-cynical, I don't think being on SCD is all happiness and light.

Showbiz is very competitive. 'Twas ever thus. I absolutely love the BBC's "Pride and Prejudice" production with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle and rewatch it often. However, a couple of my relatives had small parts in it and described it as a very unhappy production to work on. One of them originally had a small speaking part that ended up being cut altogether as a leading actress disliked her :(
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rather shocked by this, think it says more about Fiona than anything else to be honest

Just what I was thinking.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nat gets threats from people on Social Media what are these people on.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get what she means by PR campaign. I saw Sophie on more tv shows and stuff :confused:
    I don't think it's fair to say "most of us" either. Maybe that's true, but don't drag other people into it.

It's like the Karen and Ola thing. Ola and James handled that unfairly IMO, tried to paint Karen as the villain. Who knows what really happened?
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That sounds a more realistic take on it.

"It was blown out of proportion (by the media), they (the Jordans) are still invited to my wedding."

Not sure your link supports what you imply Ray :p
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they all had PR teams come on - Abbey's one is good as was Sophie and Susanna's Natalies less so - sounds like sour grapes from Fiona to me
  • Options
    KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you, not a nice article to read, maybe she needed the money :)
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    You could tell from her previous blogs and from her face after Susanna's quickstep in the final that she wasn't a fan. I'm surprised she drove the nail home quite so hard, but it's probably because she felt a bit safer, PR wise, knowing she wasn't attacking a winner. Not a surprise at all though - whether any of the rest of the cast thought so is another matter...

Now come on. We all knew she was a NAT DOT right from the start. ;)
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Anything to do with Susanna deciding to do the tour at last minute?
    I wonder who was dropped to make way?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Now come on. We all knew she was a NAT DOT right from the start. ;)

I have to ask - at the risk of looking stupid, what is a NAT DOT? :blush::D
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bitches Brewing ... [with apologies to Miles Davis]
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katenutzs wrote: »
    I agree with you, not a nice article to read, maybe she needed the money :)

That would have been a very pleasant article about the final day of Strictly, but ruined by a nasty bit of sniping.

Maybe she thought the role of "older woman in the final" should have been hers. <rolleyes smiley>
  • Options
    pennybelpennybel Posts: 5,223
    Forum Member

I agree sour Grapes
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    With so many big egos in close proximity there are bound to be clashes.

It looks cold when behind-the-scenes antagonisms are revealed but that's partly because of the contrast with the image of family goodness and universal goodwill that the show likes to project.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    With so many big egos in close proximity there are bound to be clashes.

It looks cold when behind-the-scenes antagonisms are revealed but that's partly because of the contrast with the image of family goodness and universal goodwill that the show likes to project.

True, if they all said what they actually felt Fiona's comments probably wouldn't seem bad at all.

I can't deny I find it interesting when things like this come out, although we still have no idea what really goes on behind the scenes.

The four finalists all seemed to get on very well though, that was nice to see.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I must say it was a really spiteful thing to say. I thought she was a really nice person prior to that.