Options

Dublin Nimbys want Brooks concerts stopped

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26187651
People who live near a Dublin stadium that is due to host five Garth Brooks concerts are considering legal action against the organisers.

All five of the American country star's Irish concerts sold out within hours.

About 400,000 people are due to attend the shows at Croke Park stadium on 25-29 July. The stadium is owned by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA).

The residents said the area is "locked down" during concerts. The GAA said it would not comment while talks continue.

Jesus wept.

Strange they don't feel that way about GAA games.

Comments

• Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I imagine that many of our sports stadiums we have today wouldn't have been built where they are now if such attitudes had prevailed decades ago.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I appreciate where they're coming from. If I had to listen to Garth Brooks 5 nights in a row I'd consider legal action as well :D
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I appreciate where they're coming from. If I had to listen to Garth Brooks 5 nights in a row I'd consider legal action as well :D

Ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones and your own music :p
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These people live near a stadium, so unless they were living there before it was built then what do they expect? It's like moving next to a school and then complaining about children making too much noise in the playground. I get that congestion and noise is annoying, but they were there first and it's not like they could have missed a whacking great stadium and what that entails.

If the venue is complying with their licence and conditions, i'm not sure what legal grounds they have to challenge.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Garth Brooks at full volume for 5 nights in a row, that's just wrong.>:(
    I would look into the eu human rights legislations if I were them, there has to be laws against this type of thing surely ?
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once worked on a cliff richard tour for 2 weeks ....now im eating crayons
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I live near the stadium and Im not happy the show is going on for five nights.

The stadium owners have an agreement for 3 concerts a year , now its 5 for Garth as well as One Direction. The place will be chaos for 7 nights due to setup/ take down/ soundchecks, no parking spots left out side our houses, streets full of rubbish and drunk people around all day until late in the evening, traffic backed up out of the city so it takes ages to get home from work. Add in people peeing outside your house , leaving empty cans and food containers on your window sill and it becomes a grim few days not just a noisy few days.

One or two I could deal with but not five :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, GAA/rugby matches (not that rugby happens there anymore) were over come 7pm/kiddy sleepytime. GB will be going on until 10.30. And yes, it's god-awful music.

One must ask themselves, however, if Oasis reformed and played 5 nights in Croker, would the residents mind so much?
  • Options
    ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Dublins dominance in GAA is over so you've no need to worry about that
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katkim wrote: »
    These people live near a stadium, so unless they were living there before it was built then what do they expect? It's like moving next to a school and then complaining about children making too much noise in the playground. I get that congestion and noise is annoying, but they were there first and it's not like they could have missed a whacking great stadium and what that entails.

If the venue is complying with their licence and conditions, i'm not sure what legal grounds they have to challenge.

Has the stadium always been used for music, or is that a recent change of use? Also, is it later in the evening?

Although I would have expected any changes to have needed planning approval.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having now read a few more news items...

It seems that the locals are claiming that organisers are ignoring an agreement to limit concerts to 3 per year. If that is true, then I think they have a case. It's one thing moving next to a sports ground (albeit a pretty big one) and then moaning about it being a sports ground, but its a completely different thing if that sports ground also becomes a concert venue.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    what`s wrong with garth brooks?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to live near there and the concert nights were a complete pain in the neck, no question.

If there had been a previous agreement for three nights and that has now changed, then I sypathise with the residents and think they have good reason to complain.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, GAA/rugby matches (not that rugby happens there anymore) were over come 7pm/kiddy sleepytime. GB will be going on until 10.30. And yes, it's god-awful music.

One must ask themselves, however, if Oasis reformed and played 5 nights in Croker, would the residents mind so much?

They complained about one night of U2 though as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought the noise from 1d would be worse though. Let alone the horrific din from their crap music, but have you ever heard screaming at a teen sensation gig? It. Is. God. Awful. And stays with you like a war atrocity :(
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They complained about one night of U2 though as well.

Even just one night of St Bono at 80 kW is one night too many.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta look this world in the eye.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what`s wrong with garth brooks?

well, as someone who likes alt country, and thinks the carter family, hank and kitty are some of the most important 20th century music acts, he's crap
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought the noise from 1d would be worse though. Let alone the horrific din from their crap music, but have you ever heard screaming at a teen sensation gig? It. Is. God. Awful. And stays with you like a war atrocity :(

Hah, this brings back memories of me as an 11 year old leaving a boyzone concert, throat hoarse from screaming `I love you Stephen` :)
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this certainly has escalated since February :D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0703/628237-garth-brooks/

The whole set-up has obviously been a complete shambles and this is the unfortunate result of some very bad organisation. The GAA and Aiken Promotions were pushing their luck booking GB for 3 nights when 1D had already played 3 this year (the limit of concerts per year is three) but tagging on the extra 2 without any communication with the residents was very poor practice, not to mention against agreement.

Three nights would have been accepted with a bit of moaning and groaning but 5 was just getting greedy - as seen by the blame being put on the residents because of how wonderful these concerts would have been for the economy, and Garth himself threatening to pull out if he doesn't get to play all 5. It's all about the money and the residents shouldn't have to put up with it if they're not happy with it.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Strange they don't feel that way about GAA games.

The stadium is designed for GAA games.

Twickenham stadium has a ruling for "non sport use". It might well be down to the controlling council.
    Twickenham can only be used a certain amount of times for 'non rugby' use and that amount is very small indeed. I know the Jehovas Witnesses use it once a year. I very much doubt they'd allow Twickenham to be used for 5 concerts in any one year.
    Even a Pavarotti gig was turned down there.

I would suspect Croke Park and the council have a similar protocol.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Twickenham can only be used a certain amount of times for 'non rugby' use and that amount is very small indeed. I know the Jehovas Witnesses use it once a year. I very much doubt they'd allow Twickenham to be used for 5 concerts in any one year.

Funnily enough they asked to stage five in 2007 but I don't think they ended up doing it - not sure if Richmond council blocked it or it didn't happen as Wembley was completed

http://www.rfu.com/news/2006/october/news-articles/rfuapplyfortwoadditionalconcertsattwickenhamstadiumin2007