Hi de Hi

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else enjoying the repeats on BBC Two? I didn't realise how amusing this show was until I watche an episode earlier this week. I think because Hi de Hi hasn't been repeated for years, people enjoy it more. The episode where Ted Bovis has to find £ 50 to pay off his wife was hilarious.

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Anyone else enjoying the repeats on BBC Two? I didn't realise how amusing this show was until I watche an episode earlier this week. I think because Hi de Hi hasn't been repeated for years, people enjoy it more. The episode where Ted Bovis has to find £ 50 to pay off his wife was hilarious.

Yes I have been really enjoying them. I watched first time around but can't remember most of these so not sure if I was away working at the time or memory failing!

It might not be the subtlest sitcom but it is very funny which is rare nowadays.

I liked the episode where Jeffrey was got drunk, the gag from that about Gladys and him is obviously going to pop up in every episode for some time.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still watchable.

There's a few comedy dramas that would be worth repeating, if the BBC weren't so "PC po-faced" about them.

Benny Hill, It Ain't 'alf Hot Mum, just a couple of classics from the gold old days.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it when first aired but never realised until i just checked how long it ran for......58 episodes from 1980-1988. :o

I've been recording each onto my PVR so it looks like i will be freeing up some space eventually!

A cracking comedy series with 'characters' i always liked Ruth Madoc's affected and exaggerated Welsh accent and her swooning over Geoffrey!
  • sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it quite amusing when I watched it when it was first aired.

I have to say, I am quite relieved it hasn't been repeated much over the years. My name's Heidi and if I had £1 for every time someone's greeted me with 'Hi-de-Hi', I'd be a very rich woman!! :)
  • ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Just seen Jeffrey Holland in a production of 'The Ghost Train'. Looks pretty good for a near 70 year old.
  • Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I love Hi De Hi. I think the programme has aged well. It made me want to work at a holiday camp and I became a Greencoat and Bluecoat because of it. The first holiday camp I worked at in the mid 80's was just like Hi De Hi, same type of characters etc. It was my first proper job and I still think back fondly to my time there.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I must admit that I couldn't stand the show when it was originally aired, but am really appreciating and enjoying it now. I love the three comedies in a row that BBC2 are showing, cosy afternoon viewing.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Hi De Hi. I think the programme has aged well. It made me want to work at a holiday camp and I became a Greencoat and Bluecoat because of it. The first holiday camp I worked at in the mid 80's was just like Hi De Hi, same type of characters etc. It was my first proper job and I still think back fondly to my time there.

Greencoats were Warners wernt they? Hi De Hi was filmed at the Warners Holiday camp at Dovercourt Essex. It closed after the series finished as it was badly damaged by the 1987 hurricane. It's all new housing on that site now.

One of my favorite characters is Mr Partridge. This exchange with Fred Quilley was funny.

"My dad used to beat be regulary to make me show some respect".

"Yes and a right miserable old bugger he made you and all"
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very very good.

I've watched the repeats on UK Gold back in the 90's, but these episodes remind me how first rate it was. Not sure how it holds up as cast members leave and new ones arrive though.

The only episode I think BBC 2 will not show is 60 minute 1987 Christmas special.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it. Still do. They used to repeat it regularly on Gold. Wish they would again.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been to a holiday camp. Is the show accurate? I hate organised fun so I think it would be my idea of hell. That said I am enjoying the show.

Amusing in an ep this week Gladys gave the whole camp a wake up call. At half past seven
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that I couldn't stand the show when it was originally aired, but am really appreciating and enjoying it now. I love the three comedies in a row that BBC2 are showing, cosy afternoon viewing.

And of course the classic BBC2 idents between the programmes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never been to a holiday camp. Is the show accurate? I hate organised fun so I think it would be my idea of hell. That said I am enjoying the show.

Amusing in an ep this week Gladys gave the whole camp a wake up call. At half past seven

It is close for the era it is set. Jimmy Perry and David Croft both worked in them after the war. So they knew the set up. Some of the games they devised on the show were probably not done. For example "who's bum is it".
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    It is close for the era it is set. Jimmy Perry and David Croft both worked in them after the war. So they knew the set up. Some of the games they devised on the show were probably not done. For example "who's bum is it".

Oh believe me, they were. I survived Pontins as a kid (Prestatyn)! :D
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love barry and Yvonne. They could almost carry a show on themselves
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see all the positive responses. I think because Hi de Hi hasn't been repeated very much, people re enjoying it more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see all the positive responses. I think because Hi de Hi hasn't been repeated very much, people re enjoying it more.

The first 5 series with Simon Cadell were the best. When he left and Leslie Dwyer passed away the show started to go downhill. In later series Spike had a girlfriend yellow coat called April and she was rather annoying. Barry also left the show and his replacement was nowhere near as funny as he was.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi De Hi and To The Manor Born both excellent and as they are on the BBC shown in full and not cut to bits to fit ads in as they do on UKTV.
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly your point is so true. Good to see so many on here enjoying this and it is still very funny.

At the opposite end of the scale OFAH has been repeated on GOLD every day for past 7 years or so. It has been on soooooooooooooooo many times it has become almost unwatchable. There are only so many times you can laugh at Del falling through the bar
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    And of course the classic BBC2 idents between the programmes.

Oh yes, they are a great addtion to the fun, it's lovely to see them. The BBC should make a programme about those alone.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frightening.....i hope you came out unscathed? :D
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Greencoats were Warners wernt they? Hi De Hi was filmed at the Warners Holiday camp at Dovercourt Essex. It closed after the series finished as it was badly damaged by the 1987 hurricane. It's all new housing on that site now.
    Divine intervention methinks. :cool:

BIB.....as a young lad most of my mates parents holidayed at Butlins whilst my parents always took me off to some obscure coastal places in Devon or Cornwall, my Dad flatly refusing to set foot inside a Butlins holiday camp.

I always used to envy my mates but in hindsight i'm rather glad my Dad never subjected me to such 'punishment'! It opened my eyes, gave me an early appreciation of the countryside plus a life long lust for travel. :)
  • Jo_GormanJo_Gorman Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Agree, loving the repeats so much I have series linked them on sky plus!

I too am also a survivor of the Warner holiday camp era of the early 1980's! It was exactly as it was portrayed in Hi-di-Hi only 20yrs later!
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked at Butlins Filey in the 70's and it always brings back happy memories watching Hi de Hi.
    Some of the scams Ted pulls are not too far from the mark.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, they are a great addtion to the fun, it's lovely to see them. The BBC should make a programme about those alone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10E4cZfzV70 shows how they made some of the classic BBC 2 idents although these are the 90s versions but I bet somewhere there will be one with earlier ones
    Forum Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10E4cZfzV70 shows how they made some of the classic BBC 2 idents although these are the 90s versions but I bet somewhere there will be one with earlier ones

Brilliant! (Don't remember seeing the kebab one though).