Sue Perkins receives death threats on Twitter

Comments

• ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone surprised? These are Top Gear fans we're talking about, I'd expect nothing less (or should that be nothing more?)
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    That would destroy the internet. The ability to be anonymous is the internets greatest strength

Not really.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Name and shame imo. These folk are brave when behind a keyboard.
    I'd rather the Police were called, investigate, gather evidence, charge and go to trial rather than engage in vigilante mob justice by naming people regardless of the consequences.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    Is anyone surprised? These are Top Gear fans we're talking about, I'd expect nothing less (or should that be nothing more?)
    Not all Top Gear fans threaten people. Only a handful of idiots do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guilt by association fallacy.

Are you saying that all fans and viewers of Top Gear engage in sending death threats? I'm not trying to set-up a loaded question, but there is a lot of generalisation. I watched Top Gear through the years and have no intention of sending a death threat to anyone.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no fan of Top Gear, but I don't think you can tar all those who are with the same brush.

It doesn't follow that anyone who likes watching middle-aged men drive fast cars across the world also wants to set fire to Sue Perkins.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    You do also get professional trolls. I do wonder if they are sometimes employed to do so. In the same way that you can employ companies to set up fake accounts to send propaganda for you i think they also will send abuse. In the #gamergate twitter skirmish there were people sending abuse and death threats to both sides to spur the division on. People have assumed they do it for their own entertainment but it wouldnt surprise me to find it was a pr firm in india for example
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather the Police were called, investigate, gather evidence, charge and go to trial rather than engage in vigilante mob justice by naming people regardless of the consequences.

That's what I meant. Vigilantism is terrible
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Not really.

Well without anonymity we might not get trolls like you making threads about having 2 noses or knowing the queen so you'd agree it would be a loss
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should have just told the little git to jump in front of a truck ..... driven by clarkson of course!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Not all Top Gear fans threaten people. Only a handful of idiots do.
    Guilt by association fallacy.

Are you saying that all fans and viewers of Top Gear engage in sending death threats? I'm not trying to set-up a loaded question, but there is a lot of generalisation. I watched Top Gear through the years and have no intention of sending a death threat to anyone.
    I'm no fan of Top Gear, but I don't think you can tar all those who are with the same brush.

It doesn't follow that anyone who likes watching middle-aged men drive fast cars across the world also wants to set fire to Sue Perkins.

I'm not saying that everyone that watches Top Gear sends death threats or wants to set fire to Sue Perkins. It's more the 'Clarkson can do no wrong' mentality amongst his fans. That and the general misogyny (and homophobia and racism) that Clarkson perpetuates under the guise of being 'un-PC'. Due to Top Gear essentially being 'The Clarkson Show' it attracts a certain type of audience, one that certainly wouldn't want someone like Sue Perkins anywhere near it.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Oh dear!

Presumably when football fans send death threats, it's a case of "Well, what can you expect of football fans?" ... when the design director of Call of Duty received death threats for making minor tweaks to the game, it was a case of "Well, what can you expect from people who play video games?" ... when the woman who campaigned to have Jane Austen on a banknote received death threats, it was a case of "Well, what can you expect of people who use money?"
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not saying that everyone that watches Top Gear sends death threats or wants to set fire to Sue Perkins. It's more the 'Clarkson can do no wrong' mentality amongst his fans. That and the general misogyny (and homophobia and racism) that Clarkson perpetuates under the guise of being 'un-PC'.

I highly doubt may and Hammond would work with him for so many years if he was as you describe. he's done so incredibly idiotic stuff yes but I disagree that he's what you say he is.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying that everyone that watches Top Gear sends death threats or wants to set fire to Sue Perkins. It's more the 'Clarkson can do no wrong' mentality amongst his fans. That and the general misogyny (and homophobia and racism) that Clarkson perpetuates under the guise of being 'un-PC'.
    Mind you, that always amuses me - certain Clarkson fans only of course.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well without anonymity we might not get trolls like you making threads about having 2 noses or knowing the queen so you'd agree it would be a loss

I think people would still troll. What they might not do is committ illegal activity.
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I think people would still troll. What they might not do is committ illegal activity.

I think successful trolling relies on anonymity. Now that everyone knows you do the occasional troll thread they dont work do they, because someone has called you out within 3 posts and ruins it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear!

Presumably when football fans send death threats, it's a case of "Well, what can you expect of football fans?" ... when the design director of Call of Duty received death threats for making minor tweaks to the game, it was a case of "Well, what can you expect from people who play video games?" ... when the woman who campaigned to have Jane Austen on a banknote received death threats, it was a case of "Well, what can you expect of people who use money?"

Football is a commoner's game that attracts sexist, racist thugs so yes to your first example. The second one, I wouldn't say video game's as a whole but COD does seem to attract some crazies. The third one, well you're just being silly. It's more a case of 'Well, what can you expect from misogynists who use money?' which would be exactly what happened.
    Forum Member
    Football is a commoner's game that attracts sexist, racist thugs so yes to your first example. The second one, I wouldn't say video game's as a whole but COD does seem to attract some crazies. The third one, well you're just being silly. It's more a case of 'Well, what can you expect from misogynists who use money?' which would be exactly what happened.

Care to mention any sport, pastime or activity which doesn't attract crazies?

I'm betting that there even are nutters, racists, misogynists etc. who watch/do the sort of things you happen to enjoy. Does that mean we should also have really low expectations of "the sort of people" who share your interests ... or does it not work like that?
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe we should treat these threats in the trivial nature they are sent, its just angry messages from anonymous people they arent actual death threats

I would treat them the same as 'trivial' threats by similarly angry people to blow up aeroplanes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm betting that there even are nutters, racists, misogynists etc. who watch/do the sort of things you happen to enjoy.

I can assure you there is not.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never send death threats to Mel.
    ( Hi hun xxx )
    :kitty:
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    Some people obviously have grave disorders of the mind.
    Forum Member

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tv/big-brother/321652/BB-Big-Brother-s-Sallie-Axl-faces-death-threats

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/20/big-brother-2014-bosses-beef-up-eviction-security-as-helen-and-pauline-receive-death-threats-4769308/

... or having you "seen the light" and given up on Big Brother? :D

Mind you, it's nice to know that there aren't any crazies, racists or misogynists on DS (of which you are a member) and that all your hobbies and activities are exclusively enjoyed by fine, upstanding citizens!!

Yeah, right! ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we should treat these threats in the trivial nature they are sent, its just angry messages from anonymous people they arent actual death threats
    A lot of threats of this nature are not legitimate, something I noticed when supporters of the consumer revolt against corruption in video game journalism known as #GamerGate were accused of sending death threats as well as abuse and harassment to prominent women game developers and commentators which turned out to be false. Its more likely that a small minority of trolls unrelated to the issue are creating drama on both sides as well as a small minority on top of people who are showing frustration and anger toward people pushing an agenda is behind the heated tweets. In this case, people pushing the idea of a woman being the head presenter on Top Gear as opposed to the best person for the job not long after having to come to terms that Clarkson will not be presenting the show. The vast majority of people who watch Top Gear would condemn such abuse, harassment and death threats just as gamers have done in their respected hobby and hopefully the Police will arrest and put on trial those who have sent such threats.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

You're a BB fan so should I associate you with these?

'Big Brother bosses concerned for Wolfy's safety after housemate receives death threats from online bullies'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2354560/Big-Brother-bosses-concerned-Wolfys-safety-housemate-receives-death-threats-online-bullies.html