Options

Apparently Emoji is the 'fastest growing language in the UK''

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Linguistics expert Professor Vyv Evans claims that "Emoji is the fastest growing form of language in history, based on its incredible adoption rate and speed of evolution. As a visual language, emoji has already far eclipsed hieroglyphics, its ancient Egyptian precursor which took centuries to develop."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bangor-university-expert-says-emoji-9289108

I only have one thing to say about this claim.

:o

Comments

• Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool:
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emoji isn't a language as anyone with any understanding of linguistics would know. It has no words, no grammar and none of the other features which generally characterise a language.

You could argue that it's a writing system similar to a logography, though even then the amount of information you can convey with emojis is limited mainly to expressing emotions.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with the OP on this one. :eek::eek::eek:

Can't wait for "The Complete Works Of Shakespeare In Emoji".
  • Options
    cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Evans has partnered with telecoms TalkTalk Mobile"
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emoji isn't a language as anyone with any understanding of linguistics would know. It has no words, no grammar and none of the other features which generally characterise a language.

You could argue that it's a writing system similar to a logography, though even then the amount of information you can convey with emojis is limited mainly to expressing emotions.
    Yeah, that's the journalist that's confused - the quote from the actual academic talks about emoji being a *form* of language, which is fair enough. They're definitely a form of communication, and I can see them evolving into a creole and then an actual language eventually.

You can actually communicate a lot with them, not just emotions - you might be thinking of emoticons, rather than actual emoji, which there are tons of: http://getemoji.com/ I can certainly see the possibility of them developing a proper grammar, with structural rules and parts of speech and so on. (I do think the professor is getting a bit ahead of himself, though.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    You can actually communicate a lot with them, not just emotions - you might be thinking of emoticons, rather than actual emoji, which there are tons of: http://getemoji.com/ I can certainly see the possibility of them developing a proper grammar, with structural rules and parts of speech and so on. (I do think the professor is getting a bit ahead of himself, though.)

Almost all of those came up as blank rectangles to me. And since it is estimated that the average English speaking person knows 50,000 words, let's not get carried away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

Don't have to! Midsummer Night's Dream and Hamlet, for a start. (Maybe not up to Shakey's standard of great art...)
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

I agree. To the best of my (limited) knowledge, heiroglyphics was a fairly "complete" form of writing in that it could be used to document the history and culture of the Ancient Egyptians. Try documenting any historical event using emoji and see how far you get!
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    So is it :p before >:( except after :o ?

And more to the point, why is DS censoring our language?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all of those came up as blank rectangles to me. And since it is estimated that the average English speaking person knows 50,000 words, let's not get carried away.
    *wiggles hand* I mean, I take your point, but the whole "estimating people's vocabulary" thing is mostly only useful for comparisons between people, because deciding what counts as a word is more or less arbitrary. Average vocab has been estimated at between about 20,000 and 250,000 depending on whether you include names, proper nouns, verb conjugations (give, given, gave, giving - one word or four?), acronyms, jargon, alternate spellings and so on. So "how many words" were in the emoji language would depend on a bunch of stuff, and anyway, some languages have a lot fewer discrete words than English but can combine them in many more ways so they end up being just as flexible.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the journalist that's confused - the quote from the actual academic talks about emoji being a *form* of language, which is fair enough. They're definitely a form of communication, and I can see them evolving into a creole and then an actual language eventually.

It's still clear that it isn't a language (though I can definitely see it becoming one in future by developing grammatical markers in the same way that sign language has grammatical markers), but I'm still quite shocked at the extent of the amount of information you can convey.

I always thought emoji were just larger, more obnoxious forms of emoticons and I didn't realise that you could actually communicate with them.
    As a 19 year old, this is quite embarrassing because my age group is the one most likely to communicate in this sort of way and evidently I'm completely out of touch.

It turns out my friends do actually understand this gibberish, but have never attempted to communicate anything to me using them because I rarely use emoticons never mind emoji.

I can't ever see myself using them (I've always found them very irritating), but I think I'll read a bit more about and see how they evolve over time purely for academic interest.
  • Options
    cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Requirements are stated as:- iOS 8.3, OS X 10.10.3 or Windows 10. Otherwise you see little boxes with letters/numbers inside.
  • Options
    Nox_1Nox_1 Posts: 445
    Forum Member

Bit limitied by the emoticons available in DS, but this is a scene from Julius Caesar

:(:o ^_^
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with the OP on this one. [emoticons deleted]

York Notes version: :);-):o:D:blush:>:(:(:cry::(:cry:

That's Romeo and Juliet sorted.

I use the York Notes version because DS won't allow the full version: "You have included 22 images in your message. You are limited to using 10 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still clear that it isn't a language (though I can definitely see it becoming one in future by developing grammatical markers in the same way that sign language has grammatical markers), but I'm still quite shocked at the extent of the amount of information you can convey.

I always thought emoji were just larger, more obnoxious forms of emoticons and I didn't realise that you could actually communicate with them.
    As a 19 year old, this is quite embarrassing because my age group is the one most likely to communicate in this sort of way and evidently I'm completely out of touch.

It turns out my friends do actually understand this gibberish, but have never attempted to communicate anything to me using them because I rarely use emoticons never mind emoji.

I can't ever see myself using them (I've always found them very irritating), but I think I'll read a bit more about and see how they evolve over time purely for academic interest.
    Yeah, it is fascinating. They've got the potential, but they could just as easily disappear in five years, like textspeak more or less did when smartphones and predictive text came in.

I don't use them much myself beyond the odd star or heart, but I like watching other people do it!
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kee-rikey, those Shakespeare summaries were just visual noise to me.

Even if the language of emojis will forever remain a closed book to me however you've convinced me that they're an alternative means of communication (or an alternative TO a means of communication LOL).
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    😳 ... 😕 ... 😭
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no more a language than Pitman's shorthand.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member

I agree. What an extraordinary thing for a linguistician to say. :o
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Mmmm 🍩🍩🍩🍩

🔨 🔨 🔨 time
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Linguistics expert Professor Vyv Evans claims that "Emoji is the fastest growing form of language in history, based on its incredible adoption rate and speed of evolution. As a visual language, emoji has already far eclipsed hieroglyphics, its ancient Egyptian precursor which took centuries to develop."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bangor-university-expert-says-emoji-9289108

I only have one thing to say about this claim.

:o

Expert?
    Off to a bad start here. Stopped making sense by the end of the second sentence.

http://www.vyvevans.net/
    Vyv Evans
    Professor of Linguistics
    Bangor University

I am Professor of Linguistics at Bangor University, UK. I investigate the prodigious capacity of our species,*Homo sapiens, to mean.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. What an extraordinary thing for a linguistician to say. :o
    "Don't you misunderestimate me!"
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Don't you misunderestimate me!"

They mis-spoke.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Bangor University expert..."
  • Options
    Herbet_JamesHerbet_James Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Wow Emoji is BARE POPULAR said a spokesman after consulting The Urban Dictionary.