Options

2014/15 Premier League TV Fixtures Thread

Comments

• Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is quite absurd is that anyone thinks it is correct to show a dead rubber match on the final day, when there could be other issues to be decided.

I don't see the problem in this instance. The relegation battle will be fully covered and the other issues are only minor. The neutrals will be focused on the relegation battle anyway. Might as well round off the picture by showing the champions.
  • Options
    adrian foxadrian fox Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Why don't BT save a pick for the last day?
  • Options
    TLG86TLG86 Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adrian fox wrote: »
    Why don't BT save a pick for the last day?

It would be a fourth pick, so they probably don't see it as being worth it. If they'd saved a pick this time (instead of Southampton v Villa for example), they'd probably have picked Man City v Southampton as they're maxed out on Liverpool.
  • Options
    adrian foxadrian fox Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Why did Setanta(ESPN in 2010) have a guaranteed pick on the last day?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Setanta and ESPN had more games and I think they had third picks so it was worth saving one for the last day.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adrian fox wrote: »
    Why did Setanta(ESPN in 2010) have a guaranteed pick on the last day?

This question was answered the first time you asked it...
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=78110488&postcount=1995
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is quite absurd is that anyone thinks it is correct to show a dead rubber match on the final day, when there could be other issues to be decided.

At the moment Chelsea-Sunderland is potentially a dead rubber, Sky are most likely assuming that Arsenal will beat us tomorrow and we will still be in danger of going down on the final day.
  • Options
    tricky22tricky22 Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will the match on Sky 1 on Sunday (Chelsea v Sunderland) be free to all subscribers or just Sports subscribers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tricky22 wrote: »
    Will the match on Sky 1 on Sunday (Chelsea v Sunderland) be free to all subscribers or just Sports subscribers?

If you have Sky 1, you'll be able to see it. Same as when they simulcast the Champions League on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding Chelsea v Sunderland being on Sky1' would it have been better to move the Test Match to Sky1' and kept all football on the Sports Channels.

You're obsessed with moving this bloody test match! Having uninterrupted coverage of the test match on Sky Sports 2 for five days is clearly much better for everyone than shunting it off to another channel for two hours to make room for a third choice Premier League game that could be totally meaningless.
    Readingfan wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what Sky's main game is, as in where Ed, Tyler and Neville will be. In 2005 I think they went with the team in 17th place Norwich, who ended up getting thumped 6-0. In 2009 they must have gone with 18th I think because Newcastle were on the main channel with Tyler and Smith commentating (for one reason or another Andy Gray was in the studio (which wasn't at the ground) with Redknapp and Keys).

That 2005 game was an example of the best laid plans going awry, because they'd picked Norwich as the main game given they only needed to win against Fulhamto stay up, and promptly lost 6-0, with Southampton as the other game as if Norwich lost they'd stay up with a win, only to lose as well. It must have made for unbelievably boring telly for the last half hour or so when both teams were clearly resigned to their fate, especially the Norwich game. I remember the MOTD edit that night when they intercut the four relegation matches and they showed goals 3-6 against Norwich in about a minute, as if to say "well, that's the end of that".

In some years they have been in a studio on the final day, I remember they did in 2008 which was the only year when the idea of another channel showing a game on the last day had any value, because the title and relegation were both up for grabs so Sky could concentrate on the title and Setanta could concentrate on relegation and both had matches where the teams had their fate in their own hands. The other two years Setanta and ESPN had games on the last day where the teams were reliant on what was happening in the Sky games so it was a waste of time.

I actually prefer them doing the last day in a studio because I like the idea of them being there overseeing everything that goes on, instead of potentially being at a match which ends up not being the story. The one day of the season I'd actually prefer the Saturday Night Football format.
    loyalsince wrote: »
    So Ed at KC with Gary Neville, Henry and Sounnes. Tyler and Neville comms

Reporter or Pete Graves at Newcastle with Jamie Carragher and Newcastle pundit. Hawthorne and Provan comms

Jones and Quinn at Stamford Bridge with Hoddle, Parry and Smith commentary

Pretty sure none of this will happen, for at least the last five years they've had one single programme and the other two games have had no presentation, the commentators have done it all, including half time in vision. A few years back the second game had separate presentation - I remember Jeff at Chelsea in 2009 which was a total waste of his talents because he was only on for about five minutes and it meant he couldn't do Soccer Saturday - but now Sky are cutting costs that won't happen again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That 2005 game was an example of the best laid plans going awry, because they'd picked Norwich as the main game given they only needed to win against Fulham to stay up, and promptly lost 6-0, with Southampton as the other game as if Norwich lost they'd stay up with a win, only to lose as well. It must have made for unbelievably boring telly for the last half hour or so when both teams were clearly resigned to their fate, especially the Norwich game. I remember the MOTD edit that night when they intercut the four relegation matches and they showed goals 3-6 against Norwich in about a minute, as if to say "well, that's the end of that".

A few of us on here had hoped the PL would allow all 10 games on the final day of the season to be shown in the 2016-19 deal, but alas, that didn't happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TLG86 wrote: »
    A few of us on here had hoped the PL would allow all 10 games on the final day of the season to be shown in the 2016-19 deal, but alas, that didn't happen.

I don't see the need for it, to be honest, that was one example but sometimes they can struggle to find three matches of any relevance, even this year the third could be rendered pointless by this time tomorrow. The last day of the season has always to me meant Final Score and Soccer Saturday.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So already crowned champions Chelsea against midtable Sunderland on the final day of the season has being chosen for TV. Stoke City v Liverpool would have been a better pick.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    I'm a little sad Newcastle still have a mathematical chance of going down, it'd have been absolutely hilarious watching the Sky Sports News presenters trying to keep a straight face whilst selling Man United's attempt to overturn a seven goal swing to avoid a Champions League qualifier as the 'main game' on the fabled 'Super Final Sunday' :D
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So already crowned champions Chelsea against midtable Sunderland on the final day of the season has being chosen for TV. Stoke City v Liverpool would have been a better pick.

they werent to know that though were they,
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that's the point of all the last day games being on a Sunday - it allows the games to be picked at the last minute.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh for god's sake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And to think, Sky dropped Villa v QPR to show Arsenal v Sunderland.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TLG86 wrote: »
    And to think, Sky dropped Villa v QPR to show Arsenal v Sunderland.

To be fair last night's game was one of the most entertaining i've seen in a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    I'm a little sad Newcastle still have a mathematical chance of going down, it'd have been absolutely hilarious watching the Sky Sports News presenters trying to keep a straight face whilst selling Man United's attempt to overturn a seven goal swing to avoid a Champions League qualifier as the 'main game' on the fabled 'Super Final Sunday' :D

Well, lest we forget 2006 when Arsenal in their last game at Highbury and Spurs were fighting it out to qualify for the Champions League, and the main game on Sky Sports 1 was Man U trying to get a point at home to Charlton to avoid finishing third instead of second.

To be honest outside the two relegation games all eight others are pretty much of a muchness. As a Liverpool fan I don't care about Stoke vs Liverpool, whether they finish fifth or sixth means nothing and even if they did lose and had the potential to finish out of the European places it would depend on the results of the Spurs and Soithampton games which they're not showing. Even if they finish seventh they could still get into Europe depending on the result of the Cup Final, so what's the story?
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SKY will be fuming again, they wanted another Man U/Man City type last game of the season like 3 years ago to drive up subscriptions and instead they have a relegation match which will get no new subscribers or even have that much interest for viewing figures on a Bank Holiday weekend afternoon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky have now switched Newcastle v West Ham to SS1 with Hull v Man Utd on SS3.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes more sense - generally speaking, the final day focus should be on the team with their destiny in their own hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    That makes more sense - generally speaking, the final day focus should be on the team with their destiny in their own hands.

I suppose. However I'll be watching Hull v Man Utd to start with.
  • Options
    the-masterthe-master Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so which teams are left in contention for the third relegation spot and which are televised?