Options

Dentist trip, scared

cat80cat80 Posts: 4,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am 30 and to be honest I have never been to the dentist so my teeth are going to need some help. I have a check up appointment next Wednesday which is scary enough. The main thing worrying me though is I know after the initial appointment I will need an injection. That is the reason I have never been, I have a needle phobia, more the pain from the needle than the pain itself.

I can have blood tests no problem but not injections, had one when I was 12 for Rubella and I nearly passed out so not had any since.

I'm a member of a dental phobia site who say you shouldn't feel any pain from an injection into your gum if the dentist does it slowly and takes there time. The thing is how do I know a dentist will do this and not think I am silly.

The treatment I can handle, just not the injection as I know it will hurt and I can't handle pain. That close to cancelling but my confidence is knocked at the moment as teeth at front need filling (large ones)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explain your fears to your dentist and i'm pretty sure he/she will be understanding about the situation. Remember this is their job, they do it everyday.

Try not to worry too much. The checkup will be over before you know it.

Don't cancel the appointment, your teeth should always be taken care of.
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dentist's are pretty good these days and understand people are scared of visiting them and having injections. My dentist and the others in his practice are lovely. Have a word with him/her and explain you are worried - they shouldn't think you are being silly. My dentist rubs a cream on my gums first to numb the area before putting in the injection (which by the way you can't really see as it is out of the eyeline). Good luck, the fear is usually worse than the actual treatment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the replies. It will be my forst trip to the dentist, just hoping I get someone I feel I can trust as took me forever to pluck up the courage to make the appointment. Just hate needles and the pain from them, hopefully this dentist knows how to do it with no pain
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really depends on what treatment you need. I had an injection when I had a crown fitted but I don't bother with them for simple fillings as the injections hurt more than havng the actual filling and if you don't have the injection, you're in and out the dentists chair within minutes and on your way home minus that horrible numbness and swollenness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend is so scared of the Dentist she has to take valium before she goes, which her Doctor prescribes. The pain from the needle doesn't really hurt IMO but if your fear is more psychological maybe that would help you too.
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat80 wrote: »
    I am 30 and to be honest I have never been to the dentist so my teeth are going to need some help. I have a check up appointment next Wednesday which is scary enough. The main thing worrying me though is I know after the initial appointment I will need an injection. That is the reason I have never been, I have a needle phobia, more the pain from the needle than the pain itself.

I can have blood tests no problem but not injections, had one when I was 12 for Rubella and I nearly passed out so not had any since.

I'm a member of a dental phobia site who say you shouldn't feel any pain from an injection into your gum if the dentist does it slowly and takes there time. The thing is how do I know a dentist will do this and not think I am silly.

The treatment I can handle, just not the injection as I know it will hurt and I can't handle pain. That close to cancelling but my confidence is knocked at the moment as teeth at front need filling (large ones)

Try to go to your appointment if you can. You don't want to leave your teeth until they get so that you HAVE to have a lot done immediately. It's better in the long run to go now and catch anything before it gets worse. The injections for fillings really aren't that painful. But tell your dentist your concerns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much everyone, I know I am a wuss. I need my top two front teeth done now as they are really bad and I'm scared I will need 2 injections. I will go to my first appointment as I know nothing will be done then, just discussed. Just hope I can cope with it, going to be worrying until next Wednesday now
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I had an injection to remove two teeth a few years ago before having braces. I remember being anxious about the needle but all I felt was a slight prick and an odd sensation with no pain at all. I remember feeling the needle in my gum was slightly uncomfortable but it lasted barely 5 seconds and was painless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Hi Cat :)

I know what you mean, before I had an injection in my gum I thought they must be as painful as they are in the skin, but anything in my gums is totally painless! Injections, my lip piercing.. I really don't feel anything, the inside of your mouth is so soft. Just lie there, close your eyes so you don't know when exactly it's going in, relax.. It's over in a second or two. Please go, you won't regret it!
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omg I hate goign to the dentist so much. I actually get so terrified D:

I haven't been for nearly a year now, when I'm like 16 though I won't go so it'll be alright.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't been for nearly a year now, when I'm like 16 though I won't go so it'll be alright.

Why ? Don't you care about your teeth rotting ? :confused:
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice advice there.......

My advice to the OP is to explain to the dentist when you get there and hopefully they will take it slow, asking if you want them to stop etc.

I used to take a very phobic patient and the dentist was a star (although a simple procedure often took several visits) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I'm with Miss A on this one. Cat if your nerves are becoming more and more shot then perhaps a visit to the doctor for some help is the way forward. I too am terrified of the dentist for a million and one reasons (ok, not that many but it may as well be) and I've actually scared people out of the waiting room before because I get into such a state. Now I ask my doc for something like Temazepam, Diazepam etc just to take the edge off. Someone once told me that the thought of what might happen is a hundred times worse than what actually does happen and I try to tell myself that for hours leading up to my appointment, LOL
  • Options
    sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi OP,

Do you know if the dentists has any nurses trained in sedation? The dentist's I go to has- there's posters up all over the place about it. I would ask if thats possible. I don't have any problems with seeing them but I know a lot of people do. Sedation seem sto be getting more common palce and could really help you out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting an injection is just a nip. Painful is when you don't get an injection or you don't get enough. ;)
  • Options
    Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a needle phobia, particularly the thought of an injection into a vein. Years ago I'd wait until I was in agony with toothache before I'd go to the dentist and the gum injections were a nightmare.

Now the needles are so fine you can barely feel them and, physically, it's not a bad experience at all. Psychologically I still grip the arms of the chair like my life depends on it but the last time I went I asked her to grind down a high filling she'd done the previous week and she said I wouldn't need an injection, but I asked for one because the cold water from the drill was bothering a sensitive tooth. Never thought the day would come when I'd ask for an injection! Especially not for something as trivial as a high filling that I probably would have got used to eventually.

I still dread going to the dentist and I'm still terrified of the thought of the needle, but it is just the thought. Honestly the injection itself is nothing to worry about these days. I'd agree with the posters who've said get something from your doc to calm your nerves, it's the anticipation that's torture. Good luck.
  • Options
    tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    i have severe toothache at the minute, took nurofen and panadol in the last two hours and now pain is back so cant take anything for another while. you;ve done well to not have this kinda pain and going to the dentist will prevent it.

i dont mind the dentist though i hate doctors needles. the numbness kicks in really fast, try count to thirty and take deep breaths and by then the pain will have stopped, honestly.

best of luck :)