Options

"High street plus-size fashion is normalising obesity"

NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not the words of a top doctor, dietician or psychologist, but the enlightened words of... Jamelia.

Famous only for shite music and probably this furore, that well-established social commentator has even managed to outrage her fellow Loose Women harpies by proclaiming plus-size clothing shouldn't be sold in shops:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/21/jamelia-sparks-outrage-on-loose-women-by-saying-shops-should-not-stock-plus-size-clothing-5160642/

Now whilst I acknowledge that there are morons, toothless simpletons - and then Jamelia - does it have a point?

Is there any logic in these statements, or can we file her outpourings under 'verbal diahorrea'?

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    There was a woman on This Morning saying that the term 'plus sizes' was offensive to larger women.

Ps, sorry my post was 6 mins later.
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would she prefer those women to walk around naked?
    Ridiculous. Weight loss should be encouraged positively, not by deciding what is 'too big' to be sold in a shop.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    That stupid bitch needs to realise we obese people need clothes too, would she rather we walk around naked? I doubt it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok I'd like to change my mind, she's not a stupid bitch, she's as thick as shit!!
    Her comments came as part of a discussion about overweight teenagers, with Jamelia saying she does not believe shops should be facilitating an unhealthy lifestyle.

The singer said on the programme: ‘I don’t believe stores should stock clothes below or above a certain weight. They should be made to feel uncomfortable when they go in and can’t find a size.’

Since when was it only fat people who are unhealthy? Thin people never eat junk then? What a crock of shit! My OH eats just as much junk as I do but I'm fat and yes not

And since when were clothes sizes done on weight? Even at 9 stone I was a 14-16 in most clothes, it's called having a big frame!

She is a utter moron
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the words of a top doctor, dietician or psychologist, but the enlightened words of... Jamelia.

Famous only for shite music and probably this furore, that well-established social commentator has even managed to outrage her fellow Loose Women harpies by proclaiming plus-size clothing shouldn't be sold in shops:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/21/jamelia-sparks-outrage-on-loose-women-by-saying-shops-should-not-stock-plus-size-clothing-5160642/

Now whilst I acknowledge that there are morons, toothless simpletons - and then Jamelia - does it have a point?

Is there any logic in these statements, or can we file her outpourings under 'verbal diahorrea'?

"superstar" is a fantastic song>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    "superstar" is a fantastic song>:(
    OK, I'll grant you that it isn't bad...
    ...Since when was it only fat people who are unhealthy? Thin people never eat junk then? What a crock of shit! My OH eats just as much junk as I do but I'm fat and yes not

And since when were clothes sizes done on weight? Even at 9 stone I was a 14-16 in most clothes, it's called having a big frame!

She is a utter moron
    I didn't watch the programme, I only read the Metro article in my OP so I cannot be sure of the context in which she made the comments. But a lot of what she said appears to be highly ignorant of what actually constitutes being 'unhealthy'.
    There was a woman on This Morning saying that the term 'plus sizes' was offensive to larger women.

Ps, sorry my post was 6 mins later.
    I cannot fathom why the term 'plus-size' is offensive. Perhaps it is more the connotations/sterotypes?

And make sure you keep your first responses no sooner than a 10-minute limit. Otherwise it's a sackable offence :D
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thinist being fatist :D
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I thought young women were starving themselves silly these days, or was that last decade's crisis?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought young women were starving themselves silly these days, or was that last decades crisis?
    Depends which news you watch, seemingly. I think both extremes are currently an issue; but it appears that obesity is in the limelight more than the opposite.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing that comes out of her mouth surprises me. Always been thick as pig shit. Have to turn over if I'm ever unfortunate enough to find her on the panel of any TV shows.

Get a pie or two down you Jamelia .... and some meat on your bones!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I didn't watch the programme, I only read the Metro article in my OP so I cannot be sure of the context in which she made the comments. But a lot of what she said appears to be highly ignorant of what actually constitutes being 'unhealthy'.

Yep, she comes across as a ignorant ****
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Depends which news you watch, seemingly. I think both extremes are currently an issue; but it appears that obesity is in the limelight more than the opposite.

They say a lot of people think poorly of their bodies these days and this is often linked to the media pushing certain ideas of beauty. Did any of these studies ever bother to check whether the people involved were obese or not? I mean thinking poorly of your body might come from a not-so-negative place if you're overweight. The issue there might be whether it motivates you to do something about it or not.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I ever liked her was when she called Javine Hylton a slag on Buzzcocks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    The only time I ever liked her was when she called Javine Hylton a slag on Buzzcocks.

She did? :o Maybe she's not so bad after all :D
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    She's a Hopkins in training, the dumb-arse.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Namira wrote: »

I guess that I am one of the few that preferred Javine to Jamelia. :blush:

Anyhow getting to topic at hand, that bint & Hopkins can **** right off with their opinions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamelia is a revolting person and it's time people who are prejudice wake up and realise that negativity and ridicule does far, far more to worsen people's weight problems than anything else.

Mind you, she's probably just attention seeking. I've not read anything about her in years where she wasn't slagging someone or something off like it's her God given right. A crashing bore of a woman.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Such a stupid thing for her to say.

The people I know who struggle with obesity, including some in my own family, do not need to be shamed any more than they already are on a daily basis by themselves, co-workers, strangers, the media... They just end up eating to comfort themselves. It's an awful, vicious cycle and the issue mostly stems from a mental place rather than a physical one.

People who struggle with their weight in both respects (too thin and too fat) need positive help, mental support, compassion and opportunity to succeed in combatting their issues.

I can honestly say I've never known an overweight person who was simply 'greedy' or didn't understand about healthy eating. They know they need to lose weight, they know how to do it, but there's a mental block on them actually doing it. The obese people I know have always had issues under the surface, usually tied in heavily with their self esteem, that sent them looking for comfort in food in much the same way I would imagine an alcoholic reaches for the bottle.

It is both self-punishment and self-comfort in one swoop - I can relate as it is similar to the mindset I experienced having suffered from an eating disorder. I still struggle sometimes and actually, these kind of comments like Jamelia's are borderline triggering for me, too.

In summary - she is incredibly ignorant about this subject.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I cannot fathom why the term 'plus-size' is offensive.

It never has been to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member

Overweight people shouldn't be outraged so long as they share the same empathy for alcoholics and drug abusers and everyone else on the planet who suffers from self-control issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogface wrote: »
    Overweight people shouldn't be outraged so long as they share the same empathy for alcoholics and drug abusers and everyone else on the planet who suffers from self-control issues.

Not everyone is overweight purely through self control issues. All sorts of problems can lead to weight gain. Mine was/is caused by medication that I have no choice but to take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not so much about being outraged surely but the potentially damaging messages such ignorant comments from her are sending out especially to young girls who are already self conscious about their bodies, who think they have to fit this ideal size zero celebrity infused world of perfection.

As for the rest, I certainly couldn't put it any better than Mrs Checks up there ^

No-one should be made to feel embarrassed, ashamed or uncomfortable going in a clothes shop, no matter what shape or size they are.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Seeing some of hideous clothes that Jamelia has worn, usually with her tits hanging out, I'd ban her from every shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    It's not so much about being outraged surely but the potentially damaging messages such ignorant comments from her are sending out especially to young girls who are already self conscious about their bodies, who think they have to fit this ideal size zero celebrity infused world of perfection.

As for the rest, I certainly couldn't put it any better than Mrs Checks up there ^

No-one should be made to feel embarrassed, ashamed or uncomfortable going in a clothes shop, no matter what shape or size they are.

I very much doubt most young girls would be watching Loose Women in the first place, let alone be influenced by Jamelia's comments.

Overweight people are often their own worst enemies, blaming everything and anything for making them feel uncomfortable for not being able to control their food intake/exercise.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Overweight people are often their own worst enemies, blaming everything and anything for making them feel uncomfortable for not being able to control their food intake/exercise.

Tbh some people do make me feel uncomfortable with how I look, they make me feel like I can't be how I want to be because of their ignorance/judgements