£1,049 2560 x 1700, 3:2 Touch Chromebook

13»

Comments

• Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »

So my comment was in reference to the 1tb of cloud storage that you mentioned earlier. How does the article you've linked to help me with accessing that cloud storage from a plane :confused:

Need to pay more attention inbetween your google love frenzy.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flights of fancy, eh?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    So my comment was in reference to the 1tb of cloud storage that you mentioned earlier. How does the article you've linked to help me with accessing that cloud storage from a plane :confused:

Need to pay more attention inbetween your google love frenzy.

Lol Google love frenzy classic

You know you can access the internet while on a plane :rolleyes:
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some in the US, not in general ... you're still missing the point that cloud storage is inaccessible anywhere you're forced to be offline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    Some in the US, not in general ... you're still missing the point that cloud storage is inaccessible anywhere you're forced to be offline.

Not missing the point just answering your clearly inaccurate response.

Online and Offline storage is available - approximately 21Gb free space + SD slot which can be used. You also get cloud storage.

The hardware also supports the installation of alternative OS and can be extended using developer mode.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still it's a lot of money for a web browser.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Still it's a lot of money for a web browser.

Agreed, if that's what you bought it for.

However Chrome has an extension for more demanding users which provides the workhorse element equivalent to more functional operating systems.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks perfect. For RSI.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Agreed, if that's what you bought it for.

However Chrome has an extension for more demanding users which provides the workhorse element equivalent to more functional operating systems.

What can a 'demanding' user actually do with it though? :confused:
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

the only things I don't use a browser for at the moment are to edit photos (which I can do in web apps but they're not quite powerful enough for me yet.) or play games (same, there are some, but they're not particularly great yet) Everything else I use a computer for, I do in a browser.

I think its easier to list what a Chromebook/browser can't do, which really isn't a big list. (Though for me, with the photo editing, a deal-breaker. When there's a Lightroom equivalent/RAW editor available on a Chromebook, I'm getting one. Probably only the £200 version though, rest really isn't needed)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It runs a virtual Linux distribution so you can run chrome and Linux together, no dual boot required.
    Unless you have something which can't be done on Linux ?
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    It runs a virtual Linux distribution so you can run chrome and Linux together, no dual boot required.
    Unless you have something which can't be done on Linux ?

For me personally it can't play most of the games that I play - and that's something I'd want if I was paying over a £1,000 for a laptop.

Apart from the screen which is nice it seems more of a talking point for Google rather than something they think people will sensibly think about owning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me personally it can't play most of the games that I play - and that's something I'd want if I was paying over a £1,000 for a laptop.

Apart from the screen which is nice it seems more of a talking point for Google rather than something they think people will sensibly think about owning.

Ah I see (I reserve games for my console :o I know very quaint). As I am stuck in front of a screen most days it is important to have something vivid as well as the speed being on par with other machines. The zero configuration also helps.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its clearly aimed at developers. Still, I wish I could afford one!
    Anyone fancy loaning me a grand until payday? lol
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Anyone fancy loaning me a grand until payday? lol
    Sure. APR=400%, ok?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Sure. APR=400%, ok?

Of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Of course.
    Right, just email your full bank details including username, password and all your security information to my cousin in Nigeria.... :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Right, just email your full bank details including username, password and all your security information to my cousin in Nigeria.... :):)

Sounds legit.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I actually want one.
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130715PD214.html
    But according to the dodgy times' upstream sources sales of chromebooks will possibly triple in the next next two quarters.

It had already been reported that they captured nearly 25% of the $300 US laptop market.
    Business usage I sort of wonder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I can't say I actually want one.
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130715PD214.html
    But according to the dodgy times' upstream sources sales of chromebooks will possibly triple in the next next two quarters.

It had already been reported that they captured nearly 25% of the $300 US laptop market.
    Business usage I sort of wonder.
    A lot of people find Windows too complicated and fragile, and Windows 8 completely beyond them. Tablets are one alternative for someone looking for something simpler, Chromebooks are another.