6" iphone?

14567810»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^

Extremely misrepresentative. You're quoting a document from April 2011, which was issued in specific response to that location data scandal. We can argue about whether it was a bug or something more sinister, but we know what happened. The phone continued to collect location data when location services were switched off, and this data was backed up to iTunes in an unencrypted form. This meant that a person's entre location history was available relatively easily.

A software update was issued to put a stop to that more than two years ago.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....A software update was issued to put a stop to that more than two years ago.

It still explains their location services and was the first I came up with.
    The Daily Wail was having a bit of a strop of what is already there.

It just happens not to be a secret function anymore. They put a stop to the method of spying, not the services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It still explains their location services and was the first I came up with.
    The Daily Wail was having a bit of a strop of what is already there.

It just happens not to be a secret function anymore. They put a stop to the method of spying, not the services.

What do you mean by that? The software update stopped location data from being collected when Location Services are switched off.

Location Services can be enabled or disabled system wide, and per individual application. And the system Location Data functions can be switched off too.

I'm really not sure what you're getting at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Location Services can be enabled or disabled system wide, and per individual application. And the system Location Data functions can be switched off too.
    I'm not sure what you are getting at either.

I posted a straightforward point affter tdensons comment. I said GPS is quite different on IOS and then got the usual inquisition.
    Google is copying Apple too now though users can still get individual control of the satellite GPS with regards to location services.

Let Apple further explain theirs.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what you are getting at either.

I posted a straightforward point affter tdensons comment. I said GPS is quite different on IOS and then got the usual inquisition.
    Google is copying Apple too now though users can still get individual control of the satellite GPS with regards to location services.

Let Apple further explain theirs.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5467

Because you repeated your usual inaccurate information despite me and others explaining the correct information to you in painstaking detail in other threads.

A cynic might say you're being deliberately disingenuous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you be precise where I was inaccurate,. You still need location services running as a whole to use GPS on IOS. You cant have location services off for it to run.

And dont you think it was a bit of a weird test by tdenson?
    Turn on TomTom, start navigation and go to bed.

It is not exactly a typical scenario is it?
    And TomTom was in its day, maybe the most successful IOS navigation app.
    I quite imagine it hardly sells on Android with Google navigation being there from near day 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you be precise where I was inaccurate,. You still need location services running as a whole to use GPS on IOS. You cant have location services off for it to run.

Of course you need Location Services switched on to use GPS! This shouldn't be a surprise on any phone.

Maybe you're confused because Apple uses 'Location Services' as an umbrella term. But essentially, you're saying you need GPS switched on to use GPS. Well, yeah.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you need Location Services switched on to use GPS! This shouldn't be a surprise on any phone.
    Maybe you're confused because Apple uses 'Location Services' as an umbrella term. But essentially, you're saying you need GPS switched on to use GPS. Well, yeah.
    Now who is being ingenuous.

On Android I have 'Google loaction service', 'GPS satellites', 'GPS EPO', 'A-GPS', 'Location and Google Service' all as separate entities.
    All are tickable, many with sub control settings too if I want to be more technical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On Android I have 'Google loaction service', 'GPS satellites', 'GPS EPO', 'A-GPS', 'Location and Google Service' all as separate entities.
    All are tickable, many with sub control settings too if I want to be more technical.

That's great, but what's your point? If you turn GPS off, you won't be able to use GPS.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    The IOS design requres wifi and mobile network reception on for GPS ever to work. Very useful in a cafe but not so hot out there in the countryside.

What absolute tripe, where do you get this rubbish from.
    I use my phone very frequently, cycling and walking, in the back of beyond. I have 1:25000 O/S maps stored locally on my phone and the position is always spot on. I really don't know what you are on about.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

And dont you think it was a bit of a weird test by tdenson?
    Turn on TomTom, start navigation and go to bed.

It is not exactly a typical scenario is it?

Actually, for me it IS a typical scenario. I often drive between Leeds and Oxford and when I get home if I forget to kill any background Android navigation tasks I can guarantee that when I wake up next morning the HTC will be stone dead. Never have to even think about it with the iPhone. That is why I have probably flattened my HTC about 50 times in the last 6 months but not once on the iPhone.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Location Services are separated on iOS too. Not sure where people get the idea that all location services are common and operate together. You can decide which apps and even system services which are allowed location data.
    IOS 6

IOS 7
    You can turn them all off if you're paranoid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Location Services are separated on iOS too. Not sure where people get the idea that all location services are common and operate together. You can decide which apps and even system services which are allowed location data.
    IOS 6

IOS 7
    You can turn them all off if you're paranoid.

The only thing about iOS is that you can't turn GPS on independently of everything else. So whilst GPS obviously doesn't require a phone signal, it DOES require you to have your phone in a mode where it's capable of receiving a signal.

If you switch to Airplane Mode, you can't then enable JUST GPS like you can with Bluetooth or wifi.

But this has been explained to Alan in painstaking detail about ten times now.