Junior Choice Radio 2 Christmas Day

124»

Comments

• FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,777
    Forum Member
    Listening to the show and Ed's continued passion for the show, and live on Christmas Day I am thinking it would make a nice replacement for the Sound of the 60's slot should Brian decide to retire any time soon.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We listened while opening our presents in bed.
    Superb, it's amazing how a song like 'My Brother' or Morning Town Ride can bring the memories flooding back.
    Very disappointed that Three Little Fishies was a cheap remake though. Someone not doing their research!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed it!

Did he play Me & The Elephant?
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,777
    Forum Member
    Missed it!

Did he play Me & The Elephant?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wqfl8
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    We listened while opening our presents in bed.
    Superb, it's amazing how a song like 'My Brother' or Morning Town Ride can bring the memories flooding back.
    Very disappointed that Three Little Fishies was a cheap remake though. Someone not doing their research!

At least Ed noticed this and made a comment about it. Unlike a certain other Big L jock who has recently joined Radio 2.
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Listening to the show and Ed's continued passion for the show, and live on Christmas Day I am thinking it would make a nice replacement for the Sound of the 60's slot should Brian decide to retire any time soon.

Please please NO!!!!!!!
    15 mins was all I could stand, was going to switch it off after hearing the dreadful "Hello Darlin'" but thought I'd try to listen to a bit more. Glad he's only on once a year. :mad::mad::mad:
  • John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    At least Ed noticed this and made a comment about it. Unlike a certain other Big L jock who has recently joined Radio 2.

the playlist says

Frankie Howerd And Billy Ternet And His Orchestra — Three Little Fishes
    N/A, HARMONY .
    I think you will find that the version they had was a 1980's retread not the 1949 recording
  • barnaclebarnacle Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    And here some audio of the last 40 minutes of Tony's final show on Radio 1 back in August 1984:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/CZ3d5k5N/Tony_Blackburn_Final_R1_Show_1.html

Enjoyed listening to that, of course todays junior choice was just the novelty songs that used to get played on the original.

When I used to listen there were plenty of newer tracks mixed with the old favourites.

If it survived till today I guess they would be playing Lady Ga ga alongside nellie the elephant.
  • Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the time Tony finished on Radio 1 the title Junior Choice had been dropped some time previously.

It's true to say that today's Junior Choice was biased towards the old children's favourites that only made up a small proportion of the original programme. I doubt it would replace SOTS.

Have only managed to find one recording of the original Junior Choice with Stewpot online. There's a 30 minute segment on the Azanorak site.
  • Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    listened this morning to Ed it brings back lots of memory's !

I miss Ed wish Radio 2 would give him a regular slot

also enjoyed the dean martin program today
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm listeling to it on iPlayer - currently the Smurf Song - and finding htat I'm splicing in the Barron Knights version of the lyric.. Oh - and it was a nice change of pace for UNICEF to do that advert...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa8MjjMajEA

And re Nellie - give me the Toy Dolls version any day.

I managed 27 minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had Elizabeth Beresford's death been announced by then?
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »

Totally agree, really loved hearing Ed again and all the music. I think it would be really nice if it could be fitted into the schedules somewhere on a regular basis, even if it is only an hour a week.