Options

Work Related Activity Group

cat80cat80 Posts: 4,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm wondering if anyone can help please? I am in the WRAG and in receipt of ESA and I will be in the group for 2 year in total. Beem almost a year since I started it and I have attended all interviews and for the last 8 months been doing a days volunteer work too.

In the last few months I have become my Mums full time carer and am in receipt of carers allowance.

Last appointment I have now been told I'll be starting back into work activities and I am being sent on a cv course next week for 3 hours. I am panicking as I cannot possibly leave my Mum for 3 hours plus the travelling which is 4 hours. The one day I do volunteer work I have my sister who comes and sits with my Mum but in the week that is impossible as my sister works 60 hours a week! The appointment has already been rearranged once and if I don't go again I will be sanctioned :( I am stressed out, exhausted from caring for my Mum and currently undergoing tests with my Dr as she suspects I have glandular fever. I just don't know what to do anymore :(

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    What I'd suggest doing is making a list of the issues you want to raise as in the above post and then speak to the dedicated health and disability advisor in your Job Centre. Hopefully, they will be sympathetic to your own personal and family situation and be flexible.

ln the event that you need further help in this matter, l'd suggest going to any one of your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau (just plug in the postcode here http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm), local council benefits advice unit or community law centre depending upon what is available locally.

l hope things work out for you. :)
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speak to the ESA people and tell them you are now a full time carer and that you are getting carers Allowance, they need to know that if you haven't already told them.

You might want to consider putting in a claim for income support, they will look at what income you have ( you need to close your ESA claim) then top up your carers allowance with income support.
    Have a look at this link
    http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/IncomeSupportRulesCarers.aspx
    Then have a look at this site and have a go at the calculator to see how much you can get but remember because you are in the WRAG you might be getting a top up of benefit because you are looking for work, if you go in income support if you are getting this, it would stop on income support because you don't have to look for work.
    Having said that, if you do want to look for work you can see an adviser at the jobcentre. They have something called replacement care( I have found not many of the staff seem to know much about it though).
    If you put in a claim for income support it will be a new claim and you will have to see an adviser when you make the claim. They leave you alone then for 3 years unless you wNt support and ask for it.

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser