Options

What are the rules for future hosts?

LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
Just been thinking, next year's ESC will probably be in Vienna and although its unlikely the Schönbrunn Palace would make for a great backdrop.

Which brings me to my question.. are there rules on what the venue must be? Could we ever see an outdoor amphitheatre used?

Do all future hosts have to build a 'super-arena' like we've seen in recent years? Can they not just make do with what they have?
I'm thinking that, for example if Monaco wins, they'd have to use the Stade Louis II rather than build anything due to lack of land.

Or perhaps a better example is San Marino, if they (hypothetically) declare they don't have enough land to build on, could they ask that an arena is built in Italy but still say they are hosts?

Bit random I know, but I'm a bit nerdy on this sort of stuff.

Comments

• Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well San Marino used to host a Grand Prix, except that it was at Imola, which is well and truly in Italy, so why not?
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the event of San Marino winning it's likely they would host in Rimmini

Monnaco have an exhibition centre that can host or a roof can be put on the stadium
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    well San Marino used to host a Grand Prix, except that it was at Imola, which is well and truly in Italy, so why not?
    True, but would the ESC allow that?
    phill363 wrote: »
    Monnaco have an exhibition centre that can host or a roof can be put on the stadium
    Does it need to have a roof though? Its pretty warm in Monte Carlo right now, so surely that'd be no issue.

Its more likely to be an issue with having the ESC so close to the Grand Prix, but I'm sure they could cope with two large events in the space of two weeks.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member

Does it need to have a roof though? Its pretty warm in Monte Carlo right now, so surely that'd be no issue.

Its more likely to be an issue with having the ESC so close to the Grand Prix, but I'm sure they could cope with two large events in the space of two weeks.

Considering they've not taken part in 9 years, I don't think Monaco need worry about hosting at the moment, but they managed it once in the 60s (I think?)

I think the contest will come from the Wiener Stadthalle next year, although it's almost as old as the contest itself so might need a bit of modernising for the contest.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would need to be indoors for the sound

An outdoor event would sound awful on tv...
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah the EBU have rejected open air venues in the past, a roof is needed besides it may be warm in Monte Carlo right now but you can't garuntee good dry weather and the acoustics would be all wrong for the contest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Ah true, there is that issue. I'd not thought of that.
  • Options
    .:Tom:..:Tom:. Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    I hope its possible one day. I think an open air Eurovision in Valetta would be amazing. I don't think sound would be such an issue. Glastonbury broadcasts sound good enough to me but I can see how it might be a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .:Tom:. wrote: »
    I hope its possible one day. I think an open air Eurovision in Valetta would be amazing.
    Good call. That would be quite a spectacle.

Actually there are quite a few places that would make great open air venues, but perhaps the EBU should make it at their discretion or else you'd end up with a venue that looks great but is just to cold etc.

And then there's the weather.. fine for countries that can virtually guarantee a dry event, thankfully the UK wouldn't be as daft as to consider having the show outside.
  • Options
    Michael_HopeMichael_Hope Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    To answer the original question, the host city has to have a stadium AND hotel rooms for about 10-11,000 people. The only city in Denmark that could do this was Copenhagen thus them hosting it there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, I'd not even given the hotel thing a thought. I suppose then that if one of the smaller countries (mentioned above) did win, then the EBU would allow them to come to some sort of agreement with neighbouring countries etc. I don't think these days they'd like to see a winning country declare that they can't host, either for fiscal or practical reasons.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just been thinking, next year's ESC will probably be in Vienna and although its unlikely the Schönbrunn Palace would make for a great backdrop.

Which brings me to my question.. are there rules on what the venue must be? Could we ever see an outdoor amphitheatre used?

Do all future hosts have to build a 'super-arena' like we've seen in recent years? Can they not just make do with what they have?
    I'm thinking that, for example if Monaco wins, they'd have to use the Stade Louis II rather than build anything due to lack of land.

Or perhaps a better example is San Marino, if they (hypothetically) declare they don't have enough land to build on, could they ask that an arena is built in Italy but still say they are hosts?

Bit random I know, but I'm a bit nerdy on this sort of stuff.

Monaco actually won the ESC in 1971, and then couldn't provide all the necessities to host the show the following year ( venue being one of them) so Edinburgh was asked and hosted.

Monaco won in 1971, and Edinburgh hosted in 1972.

Luxembourg have also declined to host the following year. They won two years running, and couldn't afford to host in 1974, that is how when Abba won in 1974 it was in Brighton and not in Luxembourg (1973 winners). :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that's really interesting! Thanks Jimmy.
    Just imagine how that part of music history could have panned out if Luxembourg had hosted in '74. ABBA might not have won...