The NHL 2014-15 season thread

LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
New season isn't far away, and the big story right now is potential expansion. Some reports have it up to four teams; Quebec, Seattle, Las Vegas and Markham/Toronto.

Is the league biting off more than it can chew?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    When will expansion come in?

Are they sure 34 teams isn't too many?
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    When will expansion come in?

Are they sure 34 teams isn't too many?
    I've not heard any specific dates, but it would all be dependent on arenas. Quebec and Seattle do have old arenas they could have as temporary homes, but if the league insists that new teams have to play in new arenas, then it gets a bit fuzzy.

The Quebecor Arena is due to be completed in September next year and Las Vegas' AEG Arena is due in 2016, but Seattle has yet to start on its new basketball/hockey arena.

The league's not afraid of staggered expansion, as we saw in the late '90s, so (pure speculation here) it could be; Quebec '15-'16, Las Vegas '16-'17 and then Markham and Seattle '17-18. Personally I've got my doubts in Vegas.

As for too many teams, the NFL works with 32 but that's football.. the NHL still struggles in the Sunbelt, so surely it would make more sense to keep within your limits?
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just set up a fantasy league at the website below. Live draft is Thursday week (September 25) at 9pm

http://y.ahoo.it/CDmWFgJb