Options

Domestic USA Flights.

Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been invited out to San Diego for the 4th July weekend however a direct return flight for one person for 7 days is in four figures and has just gone up by two pounds on British Airways today.

A cheaper option I've discovered is to fly to Orlando from Gatwick and then catch a domestic flight from Orlando to San Diego.

On a domestic USA flight, do you still have to do the retina scan and finger prints bit again or is that only on international flights entering the USA?

Comments

• Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an immigration requirement - you'll only do it after you get off your international flight.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I've been invited out to San Diego for the 4th July weekend however a direct return flight for one person for 7 days is in four figures and has just gone up by two pounds on British Airways today.

A cheaper option I've discovered is to fly to Orlando from Gatwick and then catch a domestic flight from Orlando to San Diego.

On a domestic USA flight, do you still have to do the retina scan and finger prints bit again or is that only on international flights entering the USA?

Once you're in, you're in. Immigration is sorted at the first point of entry.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. This is my first solo flight to the USA and my mum seemed to think I had to go through customs twice.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. This is my first solo flight to the USA and my mum seemed to think I had to go through customs twice.

only once but allow at least 2 hours to clear immigration and customs, I would say 3 hours minimum between flights on the way there. You will need to collect your bags, go through customs and then hand them back or check in again. Between 15 years since I been through Orlando but they had a weird system that international flights passed through customs then you had to hand your luggage back, take a train to another terminal and then collect your luggage again before checking back in.

On the way back you won't have those issues.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    only once but allow at least 2 hours to clear immigration and customs, I would say 3 hours minimum between flights on the way there. You will need to collect your bags, go through customs and then hand them back or check in again. Between 15 years since I been through Orlando but they had a weird system that international flights passed through customs then you had to hand your luggage back, take a train to another terminal and then collect your luggage again before checking back in.

On the way back you won't have those issues.

Orlando is a bit unusual in that the gates are on four spurs connected to the central terminal by monorail. The international flights will come into separate spurs than domestic flights operate through. So yes you'd take a train to the central terminal to get your bags there and then presumably go back through a different security area to a different spur.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    2 things to remember you'll need your ESTA and don't buy any duty free in this country as you won't get it through the next leg of your journey once in the USA, same on the way back, you'll need to wait till Orlando before buying.