Athletics 2015

Comments

• Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the deal with Trinidad trials. Does the fact Cedenio was DQ'd rule him out of Beijing for the individual event or do they have discretionary picks like GB?
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    What is the deal with Trinidad trials. Does the fact Cedenio was DQ'd rule him out of Beijing for the individual event or do they have discretionary picks like GB?

I think they may have discretionary picks. People are saying Richard Thompson will probably be picked despite not making the 100m final. I think the Bahamians do discretionary picks too. Chris Brown didn't run the 400m and the national title was won by the 18 year old Steven Gardiner in 44.27, a new national record! Second was relay man Michael Matthieu in 45.00. https://youtu.be/OcD2zlyMHmw
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drama and tears already in the US Trials.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.....all our nightmares are coming to life.
  • BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19.57 - that can't be too bad on the all time list?

Edit: 11th equal on the all time list and now 5th fastest athlete ever, just moving ahead of Gay.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Baccattack wrote: »

Edit: 11th equal on the all time list and now 5th fastest athlete ever, just moving ahead of Gay.
    Wasn't impressed that Eurosport commentators were speculating that Gatlin might have it in him to beat Bolt records. Surely if he was able to do that aged 33 after possibly long term doping in his past then those records (just like his times now) should not be used for record purposes.
    Forum Member
    Bolt out of sorts. Blake running gingerly and recording times even British sprinters could beat in low key meets. What's going on?!
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Bolt out of sorts. Blake running gingerly and recording times even British sprinters could beat in low key meets. What's going on?!

At a guess Bolt is even less motivated than usual and might as well retire. And Blake is only just making his way back from one long term injury after another. Probably why Bolt is even less in shape than usual, having Blake kick his backside every day on the training track seemed to give him some motivation to get in shape.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Indeed. It's a sorry state of affairs.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Deleted now (of course). Always someone to helpfully screenshot it.

https://twitter.com/WeybridgeIvan/status/614434709704167424

Thats *embarrassing* Never heard of him before. Hopefully never will.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baccattack wrote: »

On BBC Breakfast this morning Gatlin's time was described as "unbelievable".
  • GavitarGavitar Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holly Bleasdale (now Bradshaw) competing at the Welsh Champs this weekend, aims to qualify for the Worlds in Beijing this year. She plans on competing at the British Championships and on the Diamond League circuit. She's not going to do the European Champs next year as she doesn't want to compromise her chances in Rio.

http://www1.skysports.com/scholarships/news/23850/9895852/pole-vaulter-holly-bleasdale-ready-for-first-competition-in-16-months

Holly vaulted 4.50m, bang on the entry standard for Beijing - a very nice return after so long out.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

He must have trained very hard these last months ;)
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    List of entries for the British Champs this weekend seem to have been updated a bit more.

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/british-athletics-series/sainsburys-british-championships/athlete-information/

Gemili and Kilty both out due to injury. The women's 100 Hurdles looks amazing. Porter, Ofili, Hatton, Solomon, Ennis, KJT and Miller all entered. All the newly-accepted Brits are competing except Dronsfield.

No Jack Green in the 400 hurdles? Dai Greene will be running despite not running all season. Ohuruogu has accepted invitation for 400. Adeoye running the 400 but Onuora running the 200.

Holly Bradshaw now entered for the Pole Vault. KJT, Proctor, Ugen, Irozuru, Sawyers all in the Long Jump. No Nelson or J Williams in the sprints. Judd opting for 1500 instead of 800.

It's a shame we've still no sign of Perri. I believe she's mostly recovered from her injury but her and her coach decided that they only want her to come back when she's fully fit so she can get straight back into the habit of racing/winning. She still plans on running the 400 flat as her event now, and it would've been nice to see her at Beijing this year since we can send 4 girls this year... although it's looking likely we'll only be sending 1 at this rate!
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    He was all out for most of the race but relaxed at the crossing the line. He's got a 19.4 in him. Bolt would have to be in Olympic form to make sure of beating him. But then Bolt was looking poor in 2012 and people like Denise Lewis was predicting Blake would do the double over him. Bolt set the Olympic record in the 100m and would have done the same in the 200m if he hadn't have trotted over the line. So I'm hopeful.

Looking forward to British champs this weekend. The heat wave could mean we see some good performances.
  • Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit late to the party but awful to see Gatlin running so fast >:(. Hoping with all that I have for peak Bolt to be in Beijing and put this cheater back in his box.

How long has Perri been out for now? Seems like I've not seen her race in 2 years or more.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit late to the party but awful to see Gatlin running so fast >:(. Hoping with all that I have for peak Bolt to be in Beijing and put this cheater back in his box.

How long has Perri been out for now? Seems like I've not seen her race in 2 years or more.

Sadly at the moment this seems very doubtful.

The unapologetic, cheating little shit will probably do the sprint double - a total and utter disaster for the sport.

I often wonder if he uses a chemist that has discovered a new generation of completely undetectable drugs? :(
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if Gatlin has been cleared to compete then I have no issue with him running fast times. If there is blame it's lays with the system that allows him to compete.
  • BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't get too worried at this stage. Still a long way out from the world champs and the way Gatlin shot out of the blocks this year you wonder if he might peak to soon? Bolt is pretty much an unknown at this stage. I've only seen him run once so far this season, +10 seconds into a headwind, but he always seems to raise his game when it counts. Maybe he's taking an easy season with the Olympics in mind next year.
    Forum Member
    Sadly at the moment this seems very doubtful.

The unapologetic, cheating little shit will probably do the sprint double - a total and utter disaster for the sport.

I often wonder if he uses a chemist that has discovered a new generation of completely undetectable drugs? :(
    More likely that he's gained long term benefits from the drugs so that he can still train and recover quicker than normal even when not on them.
    Forum Member
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    Well, if Gatlin has been cleared to compete then I have no issue with him running fast times. If there is blame it's lays with the system that allows him to compete.
    From what I've read they're on the cusp of proving that some drugs have very long after effects which may result in life bans for serious offences at long last.

We moan about Gatlin but some of these eastern Europeans seem to be on yo-yos, compete, short ban, compete, longer ban, compete, life ban in their 30s when they've already had a decent career.
  • GavitarGavitar Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Judd opting for 1500 instead of 800 ...

I read something earlier in the year ... She almost quit athletics over the winter - said she'd fallen out of love with it after her disappointments in the champs last year. She indicated that she was moving up to 1500 then (and raced 1500 and 3000s indoors this year). A bit surprising given she's on the cusp of world-class at 800 but she's nowhere near at 1500 - perhaps she wanted the new challenge of a new distance to renew her love of running?

I watched her (on Vincosport) race in the BMC meet at Watford on Wednesday. The runaway winner was a Kenyan (Chepkemwoi) in 4:03. Jess came 2nd in 4:09.5 - a marginal PB just ahead of another U23, Melissa Courtney. I get the feeling she might be targeting the Euro U23 Champs rather than Beijing? (Are there discretionary places for the U23 Champs because she didn't race in Bedford a couple of weeks back?) The standard for Beijing is 4:06.5, although there is this new thing they're doing for the Worlds this year in the 800, 1500 & steeplechase so she might only need something in the 4:07-4:08 range. Too difficult to explain it succintly so just read this if you're interested - http://www.letsrun.com/news/2015/06/dont-have-the-2015-iaaf-world-championships-standard-dont-worry-about-it-you-can-still-go-to-worlds-particularly-if-you-are-american/
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    More likely that he's gained long term benefits from the drugs so that he can still train and recover quicker than normal even when not on them.

You are correct of course - I was just musing.

I do hope that Bolt can find something like his best form again - perhaps the form of Gatlin will motivate him like The Beast did? :)
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKA have announced their squad for the IAAF World Youth Championships in Cali (15-19 July); GB athletes will be competing in two international age-group championships at the same time.
    MEN

100m: Oliver Bromby (Sara MacDonald-Gray/Southampton), Rechmial Miller (Ryan Freckleton/Hercules Wimbledon)

200m: Toby Harries (Jon Bigg/Brighton Phoenix), Cameron Tindle (Henry Gray/Edinburgh)

800m: Ben Greenwood (Catriona Helen Taverdale/Perth Strathtay)

1500m: James Gormley (John Wood/City of Sheffield), Markhim Lonsdale (David Lowes/Crook)

3000m: Alex Yee (Kenneth Pike/Kent)

2000m Steeplechase: William Battershill (Kirk Salmon/Erme Valley)

Pole Vault: Joel Leon Benitez (Alan Richardson/Notts)

Discus: George Evans (Duncan Flockhart/Shaftesbury Barnet)

Hammer: Jake Norris (Paul Dickenson/Windsor, Slough, Eton & Hounslow)

Decathlon: Sam Talbot (Eldon Lake/Exeter)

WOMEN

100m: Hannah Brier (Neal Merry/Swansea)

400m: Catherine Reid (Di Shimell/Manx), Hannah Williams (Colin Gaynor/Herts Phoenix)

800m: Carys McAuley (Philip Hicken/Warrington)

1500m: Harriet Knowles-Jones (Paul Roden/Warrington), Sabrina Sinha (Mark Newell/Peter Mullervy/Cambridge Harriers)

100m Hurdles: Alicia Barrett (Daniel Duke/Chesterfield), Hope Sarti (Len Peckham/Guildford & Godalming)

High Jump: Ada’ora Chigbo (Ken Holmes/North Somerset)

Long Jump: Emily Wright (Dan Cossins/Bristol & West)

Triple Jump: Naomi Ogbeta (Tom Cullen/Trafford)

Javelin: Emma Hamplett (David Parker/Birchfield Harriers)

Heptathlon: Niamh Emerson (David Feeney/Amber Valley), Michelle Hughes (Tony Benton/Havering)

In addition, Commonwealth Games England & England Athletics have confirmed the athletics squad for the Commonwealth Youth Games in Samoa (5-11 September).
    MEN

Oliver Bromby - 100m - Club: Southampton - Coach: Sara MacDonald-Gray

Daniel Cartwright - Shot - Club: Birchfield Harriers - Coach: Jan Aarre

George Davies - Javelin - Club: City of York - Coach: Paul Wilson

Archie Davis - 1500m - Club: Brighton Phoenix - Coach: Joe Kidger

Ryan Gorman - 200m - Club: Notts - Coach: David Hourd

James Gormley - 800m - Club: Sheffield - Coach: John Wood

Toby Harries - 200m - Club: Brighton Phoenix - Coach: Jon Bigg

Markhim Lonsdale - 1500m - Club: Crook - Coach: David Lowes

Rechmial Miller - 100m - Club: Hercules Wimbledon - Coach: Ryan Freckleton

George Mills - 800m - Club: Harrogate - Coach: Joanne Day

Will Richardson - 3,000m - Club: Birchfield H - Coach: Peter Stewart

Alex Yee - 3,000m - Club: Kent AC - Coach: Ken Pike

4x100 - From selected athletes above

WOMEN

Alicia Barrett - 100m hurdles - Club: Chesterfield - Coach: Daniel Duke

Ella Barrett - 200m - Club: Chesterfield - Coach: Daniel Duke

Ada'ora Chigbo - High Jump - Club: North Somerset - Coach: Ken Holmes

Niamh Emerson - 400m hurdles & High Jump - Club: Amber Valley - Coach: David Feeney

Emma Hamplett - Javelin - Club: Birchfield H - Coach: David Parker

Sophie Merritt – Discus & Shot - Club: Southampton - Coach: David Callaway

Divine Oladipo - Discus & Shot - Club: Blackheath & Bromley - Coach: John Hillier

Hope Sarti - 100m hurdles - Club: Guildford & Godalming

Hannah Williams - 400m - Club: Herts Phoenix - Coach: Colin Gaynor

4x100 - From selected athletes above
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cali, Columbia - the drug and kidnapping capital of S America if not the world and a murder rate 4 times that of Chicago.

or

Samoa - Pacific paradise, almost zero crime and some of the nicest and most open people in the world.

I know if I was a young aspiring athlete which team I'd like to be on.:D

BTW Press release from British Athletics, seems Gemili is indeed a doubt for Beijing and may miss the rest of the season.:(

But on a brighter note keeping an eye on twitter and it seems that Ashleigh Nelson and Jodie Williams are on course to compete this weekend in the British Championships.