Time to declare a national emergency. Bring the brits back home!

tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Brown is afraid to declare an emergency and use the Navy and armed forces to bring Brits trapped abroad back home. He is afraid that such measures will contravene election rules of not making new initiatives after a general election has been announced. He is wrong, again. There are a million Brits suffering abroad. Use the armed forces and their vehicles to bring the people back home. Do it now Brown.

Comments

• mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what drive them back on jeeps? :confused:

i think they will manage ok wherever they are tbh.
  • aljdaviealjdavie Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How ??
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    millions suffering? using naval warships to bring them back? even if they got to calais what are you going to do for those stranded in germany or poland? not really that workable a plan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'stranded' is a bit of a f*ck you term to germany and poland...

maybe a smattering of our compatriates are stuck in the arctic or something, im up for rescuing them

everyone else will be just fine.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    'stranded' is a bit of a f*ck you term to germany and poland...

cant think of a better term to use to describe the people in, say, berlin who cant afford train fares to take them to france and have to stay put until the airports reopen.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Guess there`ll be a lot of teachers and school children AWol tomorrow!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    cant think of a better term to use to describe the people in, say, berlin who cant afford train fares to take them to france and have to stay put until the airports reopen.

fair point
  • QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    I know quite a few Europeans stuck in London at the moment.

I can't wait to see a flotilla of foreign warships coming up the Thames to rescue them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Statistically.. there are likely to be more Tory voters abroad than for any other party. Obviously it's therefore best to leave them there - at least until after the election. Preferably forever.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely what should be happening is that there should be a global agreement where anyone stuck in a country that they don't reside in as a result of the travel restrictions be looked after to a reasonable standard - not talking five star hotel accomodation for all, but simply food, water and somewhere to sleep until they can either get their flights or get alternative travel?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~ 007 ~ wrote: »
    Statistically.. there are likely to be more Tory voters abroad than for any other party. Obviously it's therefore best to leave them there - at least until after the election. Preferably forever.

Where are these statistics from :confused:
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be mightly pissed off if Gordon Brown did order Navy ships to bring home the stranded passengers. He's be better getting his departments to encourage the British Ambassadors to help those stranded out more.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely what should be happening is that there should be a global agreement where anyone stuck in a country that they don't reside in as a result of the travel restrictions be looked after to a reasonable standard - not talking five star hotel accomodation for all, but simply food, water and somewhere to sleep until they can either get their flights or get alternative travel?

I don't think governments think logically like most ordinary folk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The EU passed something that meant that if the airline can't fly you then everyone gets food and hotels didn't they?
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Why its not a war or a catastrophic event? :confused:
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmsl, yep thats right blame it on Brown......get over it, if yoy have the money to go over seas then then you take the risk of something going wrong.

this has never happend before and just shows that we have had it too easy over the years.

boats and trians are full and theres nothing we can do about it, the boats can not lnd in france due to them having no space......we are just lucky the france is not on strike for once.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The EU passed something that meant that if the airline can't fly you then everyone gets food and hotels didn't they?[/QUOTE]

Yes they did. I think it has to be a european airline - they are obliged to provide food and lodging to delayed passengers. The airlines don't like it from what Simon Calder said on the news the other night - so they may 'forget' to tell passengers, but the are definitely supposed to do it. So if passengers have been left to make their own arrangements, there is probably a case for claiming all that money back from the airline concerned when they eventually get home.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what this shows is how affluent many of us really are - at this time of year, for many people, it won't even be their main holiday and yet there are still a huge number scattered all over the world trying to get home. Some recession!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    There are only two groups of Brits who are truly stranded abroad who the government should be bringing home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    There are only two groups of Brits who are truly stranded abroad who the government should be bringing home.

The Australians and North Americans?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I don't get is how Angela Merkel couldn't get to Krakow for Kaczynski's funeral. I can understand Obama not coming, because the only realistic option for crossing the Atlantic is a high-altitude airliner (unless he wanted to spend a couple of weeks at sea), but Merkel could have flown to Krakow in a helicopter or light aircraft (they can fly under the ash cloud), or at a pinch could have driven (five hours fifty-five minutes at a cost of 61.56 euros). If she had gone with someone else, they could have shared the driving too, so they wouldn't feel so knackered.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, how many times have teachers told us that they spend the school holidays preparing lessons? Bookmark this thread for the next time that one comes up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomharry2 wrote: »
    Brown is afraid to declare an emergency and use the Navy and armed forces to bring Brits trapped abroad back home. He is afraid that such measures will contravene election rules of not making new initiatives after a general election has been announced. He is wrong, again. There are a million Brits suffering abroad. Use the armed forces and their vehicles to bring the people back home. Do it now Brown.

They would be home before the Royal Navy ship gets to them.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting a bit hysterical, aren't we?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Incidentally, how many times have teachers told us that they spend the school holidays preparing lessons? Bookmark this thread for the next time that one comes up!

Ha! You'll never here that from me. Those who moan need to realise just how lucky they are.

I'm a teacher and think my holidays are fantastic! I do NOT spend them marking and planning, but travelling. Morocco, Ukraine, Paris, New York, Chicago, Washington DC so far this year, and China, Mongolia, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Germany, Poland, France and New York still to come in 2010.

However, I made it back before the volcano struck so will be in school tomorrow...