Do you ever turn your mobile phone off?

Siu Nim TaoSiu Nim Tao Posts: 1,541
Forum Member
✭✭✭
me and my wife turn our phones off at 8pm, we dont want to be disturbed etc

also what time to you think its to late to call someones home?

Comments

• queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I turned it off for the first time last night.

Usually I put it on silent at 10pm.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No because if I get called in the night it would be for a genuine emergency. I only switch it off for weddings and funerals.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, never turn it off. My friends know that if they need someone to talk to, even if it's 3am, I'm here if they need, and it's always been that way :)
    I also use it for an alarm in the morning
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never.

I don't often get calls or texts, but I like to be available at all times in case of emergency - especially given my ageing parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Mine is always switched off as I have no one wanting to talk to me but occasionally I switch it back on to view the sex texts.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never.

But it doesn't ring very often and when it does, it's usually TMobile with some spam.

I personally would never ring someone after about 8.30 unless it was urgent or I knew that they were qutie happy to take late calls.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nino85 wrote: »
    Mine is always switched off as I have no one wanting to talk to me but occasionally I switch it back on to view the sex texts.

He he!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is only turned on when I go out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    There's no need to turn it off with silent modes.
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made me remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIC9O0M0Hzw

:D

For those that don't like to click links, it's a clip from Curb Your Enthusiasm, talking about the "10 o clock cut off".

I thought it was funny anyway.
  • slade1slade1 Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I turn mine off about 9pm and then on again in the morning
  • trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only turn it off in a cinema.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes from 9 pm until 8 am sometimes later.

I switch off voicemail permanently when I first get a phone.

If someone wants me they will try a few times till they get me.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Mine's off most of the time. I dislike the things at the best of times.
    It goes on when I'm out, but if I don't recognise a number, I don't answer.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my mobile is often not with me.

I do not take calls of any kind after 10pm.
  • Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really plus most of the time it's on silent
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even my land line handset in the bedroom is set to mute automatically at midnight until 9am. I don't get important phone calls out of hours.
  • SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's always on, pretty much - I just put it on silent in the cinema, theatre etc. I don't think it wants to be off - it has been known to turn itself back on :eek:. I get frustrated with friends who hardly ever have their phones on - I had an ex who didn't even bring his out with him sometimes and it drove me crazy! I like to have my phone on in case anyone needs me and I use it as an alarm clock anyway.
  • KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's hardly ever on. I always forget to switch it on. That's why I haven't invested in a posh phone. It would be wasted on me.

It's only recently that I even have the landline phone plugged in! And that's because of some family health issues, so on a just in case basis. The only people who have my landline number are close family and friends, and I keep my number private.

Generally speaking, I reckon if people want to reach me they know where to find me, or can email me.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Mine gets switched to silent when I'm in meetings or at the theatre but I never switch it off. I feel better being contactable 24/7 as we both have old parents.

We both need to be contactable for work too - the drivers at Mr Cat's company work through the night and he occasionally gets a call if there's a problem and I like my staff to contact me as early in the morning as possible if they're not going to be in so I have some idea what to expect when I get there!
  • orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every night when I go to bed.

The chances of anything happening being so important that I need to know about it at 3am are extremely slim. The chances of a drunk friend texting or accidentally calling me are much higher.
  • marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally only for churches, cinemas, hospitals, etc. I have an program (NOT an app) which puts it in silent during working hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I used to switch mine off every night but I now just set it to silent. It's my only phone and if I need to call anyone in an emergency I don't want to be waiting for it to switch on.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turn mine off around 8am-12am. I just use it really for my alarm.
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No set times. If i feel the need for some peace then i turn it off and also if the situation, cinema, meeting, then off it goes. Never use silent.