Whistle and I'll Come to You: Christmas Eve, BBC2, 21:00

Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone catch the trailer last night? :cool:
John Hurt and Gemma Jones star in Whistle and I'll Come to You, a BBC Two Christmas Eve 2010 ghost story based on a tale by MR James

BBC Two is bringing viewers a Christmas Eve ghost story on 24 December 2010 with a one-off drama Whistle and I’ll Come to You based on a 1904 story by MR James and starring John Hurt in the lead role as James Parkin, who encounters an apparition on a desolate beach. Updated for 2010 by screenwriter and novelist Neil Cross (Luther), Whistle And I'll Come To You is a modern adaptation of MR James' atmospheric Edwardian ghost story. It focuses on one man, James Parkin, and his separation from his wife Alice (played by Gemma Jones), whom he has just left in the care of a nursing home.

The programme looks at themes such as ageing, hubris and the supernatural as it provides the traditional night before Christmas scary story.

Comments

• valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the original version and the other ghost stories, they would all stand repeating.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember them too - they were very enjoyable. It is a shame that the traditional of showing a series of ghost stories for Christmas has lapsed in recent years.

There was The Crooked House more recently and they have repeat the MR James series on occasion, but I'd be quite happy to see them every year if there isn't money to make new series every time.
  • saul levisaul levi Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Love the story, and loved the old 30 min black and white version of this with Michael Horden.

But on learning that this was to be penned by Neil Cross of Luther and Spooks fame, a shiver ran up my spine. And it had nothing to do with the subject matter.

Surely they could have got someone better to do this, it's just not Neil Cross's thing. But as I suppose as Cross is now on an exclusive contract to the BBC they have to get their money's worth.

I could get lucky as the original's appeal (to me at least) was the long the long silent emptiness of the piece, the sense of bleak isolation, and the fact that the scares are mostly in what you don't see, as it's all left mainly to the imagination. That being the case, maybe we won't be subjected to too much of Mr Cross's dumbed down narrative and excruciating dialogue.

I want to enjoy this, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mr Cross hasn't f*****d it up, but I don't hold out too much hope.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For I moment, I thought it was a misquote and we were getting Lauren Bacall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I watched the original on Youtube a few weeks ago, it was great and still rather creepy.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Updated for 2010"
    "A modern adaptation"

I have the original recorded from BBC4 a couple of years back. they showed a wodge of the old ghost stories and i recorded quite a few of them. They're so good.

Actually, BBC4 is missing a trick this week. They've got aome old detective dramas on, and are showing a Bergerac, but not the utterly terrifying and ghostly Christmas 1985 episode, Fires In The Fall.
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Updated for 2010"
    "A modern adaptation"

I have the original recorded from BBC4 a couple of years back. they showed a wodge of the old ghost stories and i recorded quite a few of them. They're so good.

Actually, BBC4 is missing a trick this week. They've got aome old detective dramas on, and are showing a Bergerac, but not the utterly terrifying and ghostly Christmas 1985 episode, Fires In The Fall.

I used to love to watch the Christmas Ghost stories from the 70s and it isnt Christmas without a good Ghost story ! they should show more of the older ones aswell as these BBC repeats would be well worth watching ! Though im really looking forward to this latest John Hurt one ! :eek:
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    lil lexie wrote: »
    I watched the original on Youtube a few weeks ago, it was great and still rather creepy.

It was on BBC 4 earlier this year.

Amazing that the end is just some sheets rustling, but Michael Hordern's reactions make it quite terrifying!
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very excited about this. Superb to have John Hurt involved.

Recent BBC attempts to do the classic "Ghost Story for Xmas" have been hit and miss. The Haunted Airman was fairly rubbish, and Number 13 was so-so. View from a Hill was very good , and even Crooked House had it's moments...however, but nothing can chill like the Signalman, Warning to the Curious, and the original Whistle.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    View from a Hill was very cleverly done, i thought.
    Watched The Signalman recently ... spoooooooooky!
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First time I saw the ghostly figure's face I must have been about 14. Terrified the life out of me. Nightmares aplenty! :)
  • mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh The Signalman scared the pee out of me when I first saw it. Was staying with friends and could not sleep in a strange house with strange noises.

Really looking forward to updated 'Whistle' having just seen the trailer. I too recently watched the original on YouTube - very atmospheric, I hope they don't lose that.

Love a ghost story at Christmas. An odd tradition but long may it reign.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they have taken a 30 min drama that worked just fine and made a 55 min drama out of it?
  • mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also recall watching 'The Signalman' back in 1976 as a teenager and saw it again about four years ago. Despite the passing years it had not lost an ounce of its creepiness! Deholm Elliott was so good in it.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saul levi wrote: »
    Love the story, and loved the old 30 min black and white version of this with Michael Horden.

But on learning that this was to be penned by Neil Cross of Luther and Spooks fame, a shiver ran up my spine. And it had nothing to do with the subject matter.

Surely they could have got someone better to do this, it's just not Neil Cross's thing. But as I suppose as Cross is now on an exclusive contract to the BBC they have to get their money's worth.

I want to enjoy this, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mr Cross hasn't f*****d it up, but I don't hold out too much hope.
    Well that's kinda put me off a bit! But then John Hurt is excellent in everything, soooo...

I actually think "Oh, Whistle" is something that anyone would have a tough time trying to film. Even the Michael Hordern version failed for me. It succeeds so superbly in the written word, I just think it's impossible to enhance!
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive just read a review and it wasnt very complimentary but i am definitely giving it a go as im hoping Hurt wouldnt be in anything too crap
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    will be watching on BBC Iplayer because i will be watching My Family on BBC One when it is on
  • saul levisaul levi Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Dark Horse wrote: »
    Well that's kinda put me off a bit! But then John Hurt is excellent in everything, soooo...

I actually think "Oh, Whistle" is something that anyone would have a tough time trying to film. Even the Michael Hordern version failed for me. It succeeds so superbly in the written word, I just think it's impossible to enhance!

Gotta agree with you about Hurt, and he's the main reason I'll be recording it for watching later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit slow, but Hurt just has something - you can't take your eyes off him !
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit slow, but Hurt just has something - you can't take your eyes off him !

Very true - fantastic actor. May be slow but I am enjoying the atmosphere
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Very true - fantastic actor. May be slow but I am enjoying the atmosphere

Was about to say that too..... it's very atmospheric.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Crooked House is repeated this year starting on 30th December at 2:40am
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Was about to say that too..... it's very atmospheric.

I'm all for atmospherics but 34 mins in and it's very slow to do anything.

I'm going to watch The Signalman on youtube.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's oookay ish - John Hurt is wonderful and the subdued colours and camera angles add atmosphere but I was more terrified reading the book. I'm still giving it a go

Woman in Black is still the most scariest thing I've watched so far. But having said that, the door is....:eek: