Options

The Bloomberg TV Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Since it's almost April, can we expect a revamped 'Last Word' with Guy Johnson? Or will someone else take the afternoon shift, allowing Guy to appear in the morning?

I hope he doesn't appear on the morning shows. Then I won't be able to watch him :cry:
    As I said before, he's set to start in April.

When in April? His profile still isn't on the Bloomberg website :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-13/guy-johnson-joins-bloomberg-television.html

First of all, April 1 was a Sunday, which is odd enough. The fact that he's still not on the air is even odder.

There have been several remarks that things are not running smoothly ever since Bloomberg's former international managing director Brian Martinez left more or less unvoluntarily. But that's another story ...

Strange :confused: I thought maybe they were waiting until after Easter before he goes on the air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well then, let's go for that assumption, shall we? Maybe Guy needed a week to learn how to work with the Bloomberg Terminal. :D

I'll go with that assumption for now. It's not an unreasonable one. Those Bloomberg terminals look complicated :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well then, let's go for that assumption, shall we? Maybe Guy needed a week to learn how to work with the Bloomberg Terminal. :D
    Not a convincing argument really, is it!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm still confident that Guy Johnson will appear on TV. That guy needs a job. After all, he's just become a father. If it doesn't work out with Bloomberg, maybe he'll return to CNBC. He's popular enough to pull that off. And at least CNBC doesn't have a policy forbidding former employees who left voluntarily to re-apply for a job ...

I really hope he appears on Bloomberg. I've missed him on CNBC :( I'm sick of Louisa on European Closing Bell. I never liked her. His wife is a very lucky woman :) It's possible he could eventually return to CNBC. It would be cool if he did and it would make me happy :D If he appears on Bloomberg though I'll be just as happy :D I went up to CNBC Europe's studios in 2007 (as I was such a big fan they managed to let me visit and I organised it with them) and I met Guy up there, he's really nice :) I had a photo taken with him :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any more news on when Guy Johnson is starting? His profile is still not on the Bloomberg TV website. I'm getting worried :(
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll go with that assumption for now. It's not an unreasonable one. Those Bloomberg terminals look complicated :eek:

they are not - you just need to grasp the sscreen sequences.

I am thinking of signing up as the delicious Louise Beale is now on regularly. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I knew anything, I'd share it with you immediately. Unfortunately, at this moment, I don't.

I don't think anyone knows anything :( Would it be worth emailing them to ask?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Francine Lacqua replied to my tweet, stating that she'll be back in two weeks.

Her return to Bloomberg might lead to major changes in the European line-up. Linzie Janis would be able to return to First Look, Caroline Hyde, Olivia Sterns, Mark Barton, and Manus Cranny could be at the market desk full time again - and maybe, just maybe, this shake-up could be completed with Guy Johnson debuting on Bloomberg.

And don't forget that we can expect some revamped titles as well. April showers bring May flowers...

Interesting... I really really hope Guy starts on there soon! He should've started by now :( I'm missing seeing him on TV :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The plot thickens...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @bloombgwatcher: Thanks for that. I wonder which show Guy will be hosting then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What particularly interests me is the extending of European programming by Bloomberg, given that CNBC first cancelled Power Lunch Europe and then the UK/ROI only show Strictly Money. CNBC may have to consider bring back Power Lunch Europe!
  • Options
    zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Bloomberg, CNBC, & CNN would switch to widescreen. I either have to leave the people looking fat or trawl through my aspect ratio menu to 4:3 and then switch back again for virtually everything else. (Automatic aspect only works on my Freeview tuner but not via my Freesat HDMI connection from an external box).

Can America really be so far behind the times that they still broadcast in 4:3? The Japanese broadcast NHK in HD (Freesat 209). Trust them to be ahead of everyone else!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CNBC cut backs of European programming started way before Comcast took control. In Europe Comcast will have to consider its position if Bloomberg extends the hours of European programming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epsom wrote: »
    What particularly interests me is the extending of European programming by Bloomberg, given that CNBC first cancelled Power Lunch Europe and then the UK/ROI only show Strictly Money. CNBC may have to consider bring back Power Lunch Europe!

I've been thinking that too. It's a shame they don't have many shows coming out of London any more. I wonder who would present Power Lunch Europe if CNBC decided to bring it back? I remember Strictly Money.
    zandar wrote: »
    I wish Bloomberg, CNBC, & CNN would switch to widescreen. I either have to leave the people looking fat or trawl through my aspect ratio menu to 4:3 and then switch back again for virtually everything else. (Automatic aspect only works on my Freeview tuner but not via my Freesat HDMI connection from an external box).

It's annoying alright. I had to adjust the settings on my TV to be able to see the ticker properly.
    epsom wrote: »
    CNBC cut backs of European programming started way before Comcast took control. In Europe Comcast will have to consider its position if Bloomberg extends the hours of European programming.

I think Comcast taking control wasn't a good thing for CNBC :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So he's finally started on Bloomberg? Am watching the video now with a big :D on my face! :cool: I subscribe to the official Bloomberg Youtube channel. Oh and I don't know about the sexy walk, sorry! But it would make me happy if he did it ;) I must get my mind out of the gutter now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even I haven't subscribed to them because they upload way too many videos each day. If I were you, I'd bookmark this address instead and visit it regulary, as it provides the latest clips with Guy sorted by the date they were posted to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=%22guy+johnson%22+bloomberg&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

That might be a good idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it all started with FOX Business network which brought about changes in CNBC (all the banter and such) and now it seems Bloomberg US will now follow. Sad!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dear god, what's happening to Bloomberg US?

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/margaret-brennan-leaving-bloomberg-tv-as-net-shakes-up-mornings_b124554

The changes worry me, and Margaret's departure this Friday is the saddest thing. It's incredibly weird that she was able to play out her great strength - international relations - just one year ago when she was in Egypt. That was a great move for her and the channel. But when she was told to anchor InBusiness on the floor of the NYSE, the show became way more banter-based and America-focussed. She hasn't looked as happy as before since.

Now it's also clear why The Pulse extended its hours very recently: Inside Track is going to be replaced with Tom Keene, who's not my cup of tea, hosting a radio show. That's right.

Seriously, Andrew Morse is the worst.

It's funny that the London team does almost everything right while in New York City, a second CNBC is in the making. Let's hope Bloomberg Europe remains as solid as it is now.

Margaret Brennan was ex-CNBC. I wonder where she'll be heading to now? Fox Business? :( How is a second CNBC in the making?
  • Options
    am1969am1969 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    By the way, things are a bit awkward at The Pulse, if you ask me. Unlike Linzie Janis and Owen Thomas from Countdown, Maryam Nemazee and Guy Johnson have no chemistry at all. Guy doesn't seem to read his lines from a teleprompter, which is only a good idea if you know your network very well - I guess he could pull that off on CNBC, but on Bloomberg? Not yet.

And maybe, just maybe, it's a bit irritating for Maryam if a show that was tailored to her is partly taken over by someone she doesn't know well but also gets to do the top spot in the Bloomberg line-up without having worked his way from the bottom to the top - on Bloomberg TV, that is. Just ask Lisa Murphy.

I agree. Don't think Guy Johnson is a good choice. They should have given it to Mark Barton, Olivia Sterns or Louise Beale.

As for Bloomberg in the USA. They have completely destroyed it. Got to laugh at that annoying i-Pad app they keep running. Who's going to want to watch the USA shows now. What's left of them! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    am1969 wrote: »
    I agree. Don't think Guy Johnson is a good choice. They should have given it to Mark Barton, Olivia Sterns or Louise Beale.

As for Bloomberg in the USA. They have completely destroyed it. Got to laugh at that annoying i-Pad app they keep running. Who's going to want to watch the USA shows now. What's left of them! :D

I miss Guy on CNBC :( He should have stayed there. I have an iPod Touch and I have the Bloomberg app but I never use it. The only apps I seem to use these days are the different versions of Angry Birds and the CNBC app. Oh and music and internet of course :o:D
    I don't think so, that would be a major downgrade for her. Being a foreign policy nerd, a job at a general news network would make the most sense for her.

Maybe she could go to CNN. Speaking of CNN, I notice they're not showing Erin Burnett OutFront overnight at the moment. Is it on hiatus in the states or are the Int'l channel not choosing to show it? I wish they showed it more. All I ever see when I turn on CNN these days is sport, some programme about tea making in Africa or Piers Moron Tonight :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    * Wondering how Guy Johnson's portrait for the Bloomberg Personalities site might look like? Take a look.

I like it :D He's on Twitter now?! Maybe I should sign up! If I do decide to join Twitter I'll be posting a lot of boring stuff about what music I'm currently listening to, my Mac, life in university and what I'm currently eating ;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I'm not mistaken, Guy was on Twitter during his CNBC days as well. I'm not following CNBC as close as you (used to do), but the anchors there ask the audience to send them questions via Twitter regularly, don't they?

I don't think Guy was on Twitter during his CNBC days. I would have known about it :D A lot of the CNBC US anchors are on it and Ross Westgate, Beccy Meehan, Louisa Bojesen and a couple of others I can't remember from CNBC Europe are on it. They do mention their Twitter usernames during the shows IIRC. My fingers are a bit sore tonight from all the typing I've done! I've been quite busy posting over in the Music section of DS.
  • Options
    am1969am1969 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info and links bloombgwatcher. :)

Francine has been looking great since her return.

I too hope Linzie isn't leaving! She's fantastic.There are some rumours she might even be pregnant.

Yes time for the First Look intro sequence to go.