Options

Cyclist swore at me on zebra crossing - must be the heat?

2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Coming home today, I crossed a main road. Traffic was slow moving, and I got to a zebra crossing just as someone else was 3/4 across it ahead of me so I sped up to cross too. A cyclist came up to the crossing but didn't even bother breaking, and swerved around me. She then said "JC, mate" as she rolled past to which I said "You're supposed to stop". At this point she told me to....depart while fornicating.

Do you think that she was short tempered due to the heat? It's pretty hot out there. Or did I do something I shouldn't have done by trying to cross just as someone else was almost across?

Comments

• Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    It was obviously her time of the month.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be driving badly to be compared to Clarkson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, I was walking across it, a pedestrian.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Coming home today, I crossed a main road. Traffic was slow moving, and I got to a zebra crossing just as someone else was 3/4 across it ahead of me so I sped up to cross too. A cyclist came up to the crossing but didn't even bother breaking, and swerved around me. She then said "JC, mate" as she rolled past to which I said "You're supposed to stop". At this point she told me to....depart while fornicating.

Do you think that she was short tempered due to the heat? It's pretty hot out there. Or did I do something I shouldn't have done by trying to cross just as someone else was almost across?

Nah she just needs to learn what zebra crossings are for.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you just have one of those annoying faces.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was trying to get across the road yesterday and this bloke said, "Oi mate, there's a zebra crossing down there."

I thought, I hope he's having more luck than me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Maybe you just have one of those annoying faces.

Maybe. Just makes it worse given she wasn't paying attention to cycling if she was so focused on my face.

Somehow I don't think this is a factor most people would consider relevant.
  • Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

forgot to realize that cyclists jump red lights all the time
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, she should definitely have stopped, as should any other vehicle, once your foot is on the crossing.

Funnily enough I had a similar experience last night in the ASDA car park, but from a car, which rudely decided not to stop just as I was standing at the zebra crossing, waiting to cross.
  • Options
    SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Nah she just needs to learn what zebra crossings are for.

You're still supposed to check that the crossing is clear though. Unless you're actually on the crossing itself vehicles aren't legally obliged to stop for you. Zebra crossings aren't legally enforceable in the way that traffic lights are.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a zebra crossing near here that appears to be just ignored, At least a few times a week as crossing I get halfway cars go flying through, Bizarrely some people stop to give you abuse if you say "you're supposed to stop!".

This crossing is almost directly outside a sweetshop and it is only a matter of time before someone is run over.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she probably needs a good seeing to

missed your chance
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like every cyclist I have ever encountered in Leeds. Despite being on the road, they seem oblivious to the fact that they too should obey red lights etc. Especially at a pedestrian crossing.

Will never forget the moron who was weaving shakily through a whole horde of us one Friday evening. Lights were at red for the traffic. Green man was showing. I should have knocked the stupid twit off his bike.

Edited to add I was one of the pedestrians trying to cross the road at this point.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    A cyclist came up to the crossing but didn't even bother breaking...
    Breaking what? Into a sweat? Your nose? The bag of eggs he was carrying home from Tesco? Just wondering.

Or is it just one more of these interminable 'lets have a go at cyclists' threads that DS:GD is famous for?
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No just another hypocritical cyclist with a false sense of entitlement, loads of them out there.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Just to be clear, I was walking across it, a pedestrian.
    Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the rule applies to motor vehicles. Cyclists would do it only as a common courtesy.
    Armi wrote: »
    I was trying to get across the road yesterday and this bloke said, "Oi mate, there's a zebra crossing down there."
    I don't get this. I, alike you, will take my chances on a clear (ish) road rather than stand around at traffic lights slowing down or stopping traffic so that I may cross the road. If there's an opening, I'll take it - we're actually doing drivers a favour.
    Cosin wrote: »
    forgot to realize that cyclists jump red lights all the time
    Not all of them do. Quit stereotyping. Thanks.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the other person was still on the crossing she should have stopped anyway. Sounds like someone who doesn't know how zebra crossings work.
  • Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the rule applies to motor vehicles. Cyclists would do it only as a common courtesy.

I don't get this. I, alike you, will take my chances on a clear (ish) road rather than stand around at traffic lights slowing down or stopping traffic so that I may cross the road. If there's an opening, I'll take it - we're actually doing drivers a favour.

Not all of them do. Quit stereotyping. Thanks.

well i would certainly have looked before setting foot on it:o
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cyclists don't have to pass any sort of test before they're allowed on the roads, so maybe she didn't know what the crossing was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Breaking what? Into a sweat? Your nose? The bag of eggs he was carrying home from Tesco? Just wondering.

Or is it just one more of these interminable 'lets have a go at cyclists' threads that DS:GD is famous for?

If all you have to share with us on here is about a typo, then all I can say to you is thanks for pointing it out to me.

You are free to decide what you want about thread topics but one thing you have absolutely no control over is the OPs intention behind a thread no matter how you might like to frame it yourself. I don't know if you're pro or anti cyclist or have no view overall, but I can say this isn't an anti cyclist thread. If a car driver had done the same I think I'd have made this post.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    It was obviously her time of the month.

No she was being an inconsiderate bitch
  • Options
    simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed in these recent anti-cyclist threads. Where's the passion, the indignation, the mock outrage? Please put a bit more effort into them, so we can all be more animated in our responses. Or, is it the case that there is nothing new to add, that has not been well rehearsed and debated before? At least let us have a good old fashioned game of cyclist bingo.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be a cyclling forum on DS
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    If all you have to share with us on here is about a typo, then all I can say to you is thanks for pointing it out to me.

You are free to decide what you want about thread topics but one thing you have absolutely no control over is the OPs intention behind a thread no matter how you might like to frame it yourself. I don't know if you're pro or anti cyclist or have no view overall, but I can say this isn't an anti cyclist thread. If a car driver had done the same I think I'd have made this post.
    Oh, must be the heat then? Affects us all I guess.

But without being there, it's impossible for anyone else but you to know, all it's going to generate is a load more of the usual comments from pro cyclists and anti cyclists and ne'er the twain shall meet. But if forced to answer, I would answer as follows:

It depends. But in your position, I would probably have waited for the cyclist to pass before crossing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

Looks like I need a refresher on the rules myself then! I didn't realise all vehicles are not obliged to stop at a zebra crossing.

I always do check before I cross when it's free flowing traffic - I know many vehicles wouldn't stop or might not see you - so why take the chance? I thought it was okay in this instance given the traffic was moving so slowly. There was about a car's space beyond the zebra crossing for the car to move into.