127 hOURS

Comments

• asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I watched this today and it was good but i didnt find it amazing or anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    thepuffin wrote: »
    Don't delude yourself into thinking you're going to watch a film when you enter the cinema to see this. You're not. You're going to experience yourself, trapped in a hole, and what you get out of the time depends on what you take in there with you.

People who are saying this film is boring unfortunately missed the experience and the whole point of the film; you're not watching a guy in a hole - you're living it. By the end I was a wreck and had traversed the full gamut of emotions.

Wow.

It's not one I'll be queueing up to ride again, but it's one hell of a trip.

The beginning of the film when he first get's trapped it's not so much the pain that get's to you, must have hurt having a hand crushed by a big rock, it's more not being able to do about it and not having anyone in sight to help that get's to you.

Watching it, it reminded me of getting locked in a small room and not being able to get out and knowing there wouldn't be anyone home for hours and not having a phone to contact anyone. Not the same I know but i could sort of relate to the frustration part he has at first
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this film. Thought it was Awesome. But i am slightly biased as i love anything James Franco related. :3
    But seriously he did an incredible job on this. I felt right there with him throughout.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »

Literally everyone in the cinema was squirming and cringing at THAT bit (except me...i must be desensitized or something, lol).

Didn't find 'THAT bit' all that gory too....must be conditioned for that sort of thing, being a True Blood Fan.:)

Great Film...8/10

:cool:
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't normally go and watch a film like this, but it has had such good reviews that I decided to. For the firt 10 or 20 minutes I didn't like it because it was so noisy, and the character seemed to be so arrogant and brash at first.

But it got better and better all the way through. I'm glad I stayed with it, and it was very life-affirming by the end.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came across a poster in the streets and was quite shocked to see the over the top reactions, there must be at least 15 newspapers/websites/magazines names with 5 stars and 4 stars... a bit too much... I have not watched it, but to me, it can't be that good, the poster was a bit much, all the poster is what the media thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it last night and was plesently surprised. Wasn't sure if it would just seem a little boring, one person stuck in the same place for most of the movie, but it was pretty interesting and kept my attention.
  • Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to go to see this as although I'd like too, I know it would totally freak me out and give me nightmares etc afterwards.

Anyone else here remember 1970s Reader's Digest magazines...they always used to have stories in them like this... I was just a kid then but would sometimes get hold of a copy and read them.... I did find them compelling but horrible!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Its out on dvd on Monday, another one to add to my winter collection :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    watched it last night.

I dunno, it totally failed to engage me in any sense of drama, maybe it's because I knew beforehand how he got out. It all seemed a lot about nothing really. Much prefer Touching The Void.

I'd give it a 6.5/10.
  • ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    I came across a poster in the streets and was quite shocked to see the over the top reactions, there must be at least 15 newspapers/websites/magazines names with 5 stars and 4 stars... a bit too much... I have not watched it, but to me, it can't be that good, the poster was a bit much, all the poster is what the media thought.

One of them is something like "Nevermind 5 stars, this film is 127 stars!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    Much prefer Touching The Void.

Same here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this film was fantastic - 9/10 James Franco was brilliant in it. A very inspirational film.

Although this comment did make me laugh (from someone on IMDB)
    This movie had some decent moments but overall it was pretty boring
    especially when he cut off his arm because that was so anti-climatic.
    We we're hoping there was some amazing way he found to get out of it but
    instead he did what we all feared he'd have to do. So just do it in the first
    10 minutes and save us the 127 hours.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this film. Truly inspiring, makes you realise that no matter how bad it gets, you need to keep going. The cutting of his arm didn't really disgust me or make me turn away (drinking the pee did that), but I did get very emotional, my arm ached as he did it.
  • lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Rewatched this a couple of nights ago, still probably one of my all time favourite films. Such an important message, perfectly executed, brilliant acting by James Franco, and just like the first time, when the Sigur Ros music kicked in, I cried like a baby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Film was ok, shame they relegated the best ending to the blu ray extras.
  • MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it, some daft editing decisions, but great film nonetheless.

The ending when he gets out of the pool and sees his family and friends gathered round the sofa made me tear up. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    without looking at too much spoilers i have this too watch later..I hopes i like it :D
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say i am very "immune" to gore scenes....but everytime he tried to cut the tendon in his arm i flinched big time!!!
    Great movie and a great musical score
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Densino wrote: »
    I would say i am very "immune" to gore scenes....but everytime he tried to cut the tendon in his arm i flinched big time!!!
    Great movie and a great musical score

The music for that scene is what makes it ten times worse!

The scene where he sees the future with his son always gets to me.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    such a good movie! probably my favourite of the oscar nominations last year
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw this last night,thought it was brilliant

is it a film id watch again? no not for a while but the film experience was great

i like single location films and what happened to him would scare nearly everyone in that position,he showed immense inner strength

also as someone else noted the score for the final 10 mins was amazing,as was the directing in the whole film, i really liked the chatshow and "lovely day" drink montage

well done franco and boyle,great film!
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I watched it and i thought it was quite boring a very slow film but i stuck with it. Its a film i will properly never watch again :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Thought this film was fantastic - 9/10 James Franco was brilliant in it. A very inspirational film.

Although this comment did make me laugh (from someone on IMDB)

Honestly, I thought the same thing! Why spend 5 days there before deciding to break your arm?

This guy knew no one was aware of his whereabouts in this untravelled region. He could have snapped his arm after a day or two - enough time to exhaust the other possibilities and overcome pointless hopes for rescue.

There was no need to sit there, risking his life even further by becoming weak and malnourished before amputation.