Options

In The Flesh...BBC 3, Sunday 10pm..

Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit confused as to why nobody has posted about the second episode up until the post above mine.

I loved the first episode.
    Second episode, Hmm, I don't know what to think about it really. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.
    Didn't impress me like the first episode did.
  • Options
    lesnar01lesnar01 Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have just checked my planner and the final part is not in hd i was thiinking the bbc would have shown it berfore bbc hd changes to bbc two hd for all that is wanting to watch the final part its on bbc three at 10.pm sunday :)
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed last night's show, although I was a bit miffed at the bringing in of Amy as a 'love interest' for Kieran..How wrong was I! Looks like Kieran and Rick have some history there!
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed both episodes and have to say its a really refreshing take of the zombie genre, sure it has its faults but with small budgets you can only expect so much, its decently acted and makes a change from cop dramas that are normally as far as writers get to explore these days that ever make it to tv, its nice to see something a little creative and unique.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good series. On paper something of a Walking Dead rip but it manages to forge a relatively untrodden path and at only 3 eps looks set to sustain the quality throughout.There is a Canadian (?) "back from the dead so what do we do with them?" film that examines some of the same ideas but I forget the title.

Enjoying a BBC3 show........ Kill me now!
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the idea is, in this village, you're better off (living) dead than gay...
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    I wonder if the idea is, in this village, you're better off (living) dead than gay...

My theory is that Rick's dad Bill blamed Kieran for him and Rick's relationship but when Rick joined the Army his dad felt like Rick somehow redeemed himself as he would see it as being more manly to shot guns and fight for your country. I also think this is why Bill doesn't see his son as a rotter or being gay anymore now that he is partially deceased. He dad can accept him more being dead than being gay perhaps?
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused as to why nobody has posted about the second episode up until the post above mine.

I loved the first episode.
    Second episode, Hmm, I don't know what to think about it really. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.
    Didn't impress me like the first episode did.
    I think there's a thread in the Cult section, I was chatting on their after it was on.
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junipaire wrote: »
    I enjoyed both episodes and have to say its a really refreshing take of the zombie genre, sure it has its faults but with small budgets you can only expect so much, its decently acted and makes a change from cop dramas that are normally as far as writers get to explore these days that ever make it to tv, its nice to see something a little creative and unique.

Yep I totally agree. I really like the writing and to me it is very interesting. I normally give zombie stuff a wide berth, but I love the angle on this and much to my surprise am enjoying this!
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Good series. On paper something of a Walking Dead rip but it manages to forge a relatively untrodden path and at only 3 eps looks set to sustain the quality throughout.There is a Canadian (?) "back from the dead so what do we do with them?" film that examines some of the same ideas but I forget the title.

Enjoying a BBC3 show........ Kill me now!

There's also a French zombie TV series that Channel 4 have secured the rights to, 'Les Revenants', which I'm very much looking forward to watching, whenever they show it.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Awesome so far - I hadnt seen the Rick / Kieren relationship coming, but it adds a really interesting dimension.

Can't believe only one ep to go :(. Surely they can't start us off on something so good, then finish so quick.

Someone said about no comments above - it's because there is a parallel thread going on in the Cult forum. Ive asked the mods if they might consider a merge wherever they see fit....
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Awesome so far - I hadnt seen the Rick / Kieren relationship coming, but it adds a really interesting dimension.

Can't believe only one ep to go :(. Surely they can't start us off on something so good, then finish so quick.

Someone said about no comments above - it's because there is a parallel thread going on in the Cult forum. Ive asked the mods if they might consider a merge wherever they see fit....

The BBC have form in doing these '3 part' testers in shows they have limited confidence in. They did the same with 'Upstairs Downstairs', and when it proved popular, they still waited over a year to show a full series (although there were, unfortunately, behind the scenes problems with S2). If they'd simply made a full first series in the beginning, they'd probably still be making it. I hope In the Flesh gets a better run after this 3 parter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed last night's show, although I was a bit miffed at the bringing in of Amy as a 'love interest' for Kieran..How wrong was I! Looks like Kieran and Rick have some history there!

Yep, the creator of the show has admitted this in an interview:

Kieran has a close friendship with Amy (introduced in episode two) and an almost romantic one with his friend Ric. Was that ambiguity intentional?

That was totally intentional. He’s not gay but he’s not straight. He’s more in love with the person than the gender. Ric is very uncomfortable with his relationship with Kieran. I don’t think it got to the point of having sex but it was maybe going that way and he couldn’t handle it. What’s so great about horror and fantasy is that you can talk about gender politics and identity freely.

Source: http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/38309/in-the-flesh-creator-dominic-mitchell-on-episode-1-secrets/
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Yep, the creator of the show has admitted this in an interview:

Kieran has a close friendship with Amy (introduced in episode two) and an almost romantic one with his friend Ric. Was that ambiguity intentional?

That was totally intentional. He’s not gay but he’s not straight. He’s more in love with the person than the gender. Ric is very uncomfortable with his relationship with Kieran. I don’t think it got to the point of having sex but it was maybe going that way and he couldn’t handle it. What’s so great about horror and fantasy is that you can talk about gender politics and identity freely.

Source: http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/38309/in-the-flesh-creator-dominic-mitchell-on-episode-1-secrets/

Thanks for the linky. an interesting read..Shame there is only one episode left, perhaps some more episodes to come, I hope so!
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad news, This show needs to move to BBC2 as BBC HD is becoming BBC2 HD :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the linky. an interesting read..Shame there is only one episode left, perhaps some more episodes to come, I hope so!

No problem - I hope so too. There is hope of another three parter at the very least, assuming the show does well.
  • Options
    MercierMercier Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's neither that original or interesting to merit a full series. In truth zombies really are reaching their end, the spate of zombies returning to human dramas being pretty much testament to that. Nor is the zombie as counterpart to humanity's loss of humanity original, it's what the whole genre is about. Bored now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mercier wrote: »
    It's neither that original or interesting to merit a full series. In truth zombies really are reaching their end, the spate of zombies returning to human dramas being pretty much testament to that. Nor is the zombie as counterpart to humanity's loss of humanity original, it's what the whole genre is about. Bored now.

Well many of us aren't. I, for one, am enjoying it and hope to see more. Lack of originality hasn't exactly stopped the likes of 'Scott and Bailey' being recommissioned. I also haven't seen any other 'zombie returning to human' dramas, although I'm not that interested in 'genres' as much as the merits of individual shows.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Mercier wrote: »

I couldnt give a stuff as long as it's well written, compelling and keeps me watching.

It can be about zombies, vamps, doctors anything. I go by how good the show is, not how it's categorized by genre
  • Options
    MercierMercier Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well many of us aren't. I, for one, am enjoying it and hope to see more. Lack of originality hasn't exactly stopped the likes of 'Scott and Bailey' being recommissioned. I also haven't seen any other 'zombie returning to human' dramas, although I'm not that interested in 'genres' as much as the merits of individual shows.

Warm bodies.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone help as Im a bit confused as I missed the first bit of episode 2. At the end of the first episode they were blasting the head off Ricky Tomlinsons wife in cold blood (literally lol) even though she was not rabid and then in last nights episode the PDS were walking around and drinking in the pub freely, albeit to the annoyance of the "regulars". What changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Can anyone help as Im a bit confused as I missed the first bit of episode 2. At the end of the first episode they were blasting the head off Ricky Tomlinsons wife in cold blood (literally lol) even though she was not rabid and then in last nights episode the PDS were walking around and drinking in the pub freely, albeit to the annoyance of the "regulars". What changed.

We see Ricky's character being comforted by the creepy young Council member's nurse mother. Presumably he didn't go to the authorities about his wife's murder, although the shooter, (Rick's dad) briefly thought he was about to be done for it. He was so volatile that no one had the guts to say much to him about Rick being a rotter when he reappeared from the Middle East. He seemed to be in denial about it. We are to assume that the HVP group were at a bit of a loss once Rick's dad (can't remember his name) was preoccupied with the return of his rotter son; they were less openly aggressive, and seemed less willing to break the law by killing innocent PDS folk.

I do hope the last episode sees punishment for Ricky Tomlinson's wife's murder. I found it very hard to watch - the way she offered a brief smile at her killer to try and stop him after he'd ordered her to take out her contacts. :(
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We see Ricky's character being comforted by the creepy young Council member's nurse mother. Presumably he didn't go to the authorities about his wife's murder, although the shooter, (Rick's dad) briefly thought he was about to be done for it. He was so volatile that no one had the guts to say much to him about Rick being a rotter when he reappeared from the Middle East. He seemed to be in denial about it. We are to assume that the HVP group were at a bit of a loss once Rick's dad (can't remember his name) was preoccupied with the return of his rotter son; they were less openly aggressive, and seemed less willing to break the law by killing innocent PDS folk.

I do hope the last episode sees punishment for Ricky Tomlinson's wife's murder. I found it very hard to watch - the way she offered a brief smile at her killer to try and stop him after he'd ordered her to take out her contacts. :(

That man who played Rick's father was also in Rev. starring Tom Hollands. In it he was a likeable bummer who loved the church. Funny he seems to be playing some kind of a priest/pastor's 'right hand man', both for comic effect (Holland's Rev.) and this one. I think the one that should be punished is the priest who egged him on for the 'betrayal'.

However, I hate to see more shows where they depict the priest as a corrupt, manipulative, generally unlikeable character.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would alert the mod to merge this thread with the one already created in the Sci Fi forum.
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Ricky Tomlinson but has he ever played a non Scouser? He seems to play every character the same way.