Options

Advice about buying new laptop please

MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

I am looking to buy a new laptop and was hoping to get some advice from someone who is a little more clued up than I am, so I think:) thats practically anyone.

I will use it to browse online in general, check emails youtube etc. I also play simple games such as hidden object, match 3 and adventure games so none of the larger games. The biggest one I have at the moment is Syberia.

Thats about it really. I have narrowed it down to too possiblities which are these.

http://www.littlewoods.com/hp-pavilion-15-n200sa-touchsmart-intelreg-pentiumreg-processor-4gb-ram-750gb-hard-drive-wi-fi-156-inch-touch-screen-laptop-purple/1382305077.prd?amendCommerceItemId=ci11593000789

and this one

http://www.littlewoods.com/hp-pavilion-15-n244sa-intelreg-coretrade-i3-processor-4gb-ram-750gb-hard-drive-wi-fi-156-inch-laptop-purple/1339747655.prd?amendCommerceItemId=ci11593000790

I quite like the idea of a touchscreen as I love using my tablet and I understand that Windows 8 works best with touchscreen but the other one is the i3 processor which I believe is better than the spec on the the 1st one.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that when playing games at home I connect my laptop to a monitor so that I have a bigger screen and use the mouse.

I ought to say also that I know they are expensive in the catalogue but I do have quite a lot of commission due which will go towards paying for it so thats is why I am looking there.

So I'm completely stuck, please can anyone advise which might be the best one for me.

Comments

• Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    OK. Well first of all don't bother with the 15-n200sa because the CPU is lousy. The 15-n244sa will suit you fine though as the CPU is a lot faster and together with the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics and 4GB RAM, will also play Syberia 3 and deal well with your other requirements.

Here's the Syberia 3 playability result when fed the n244sa laptop specs plus note screen resolution is 1280 x 1024. If your monitor has the same resolution then that score of 4 will be accurate: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=796&game=Syberia+3&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+i3-3217U+1.8GHz&gc_make=Intel&gc_deriv=Intel+HD+Graphics+4000+Mobile&ram=4&checkSubmit=

You've mentioned that you know the price is expensive and it certainly is, £100 more than you should be paying for this laptop. Still, it's your decision to make and I respect that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Thank you so much for your reply.

So you think I should go for the i3 processor as opposed to the touchscreen one?

Is Windows 8 okay to use without the touchsreen feature?
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8.1 works best with a Mouse which is what you seem to use anyway. So do Apps and Applications.

My Laptop has Touch Screen, Touch Pad, Mouse.

The Mouse is by far the best for Windows 8.1 followed by the Touch Pad.

The Touch Screen is superfluous. Too imprecise, only for noddy functions. Just ignore it, and I don't want to clean finger marks off.
    Don't believe the sales rubbish, it is NOT required at all.

The second of your Laptop choices is the better, more up to date and competent processor.

It is not that expensive as it does include a DVD writer.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mollybe wrote: »
    Is Windows 8 okay to use without the touchsreen feature?
    It certainly is. Although the Start Screen (Modern UI) is made primarily for touch, it can easily be navigated
    with a traditional mouse and keyboard. I certainly recommend using your proper mouse for the laptop, as
    the Start Screen scrolls horizontally. Using the scroll wheel on a mouse will make this much easier than
    using the trackpad for navigation ... unless of course you know how to use certain trackpad gestures.

If the Start Screen in Windows 8.x isn't your cup of tea, and you want something more traditional, there
    are several alternatives that bring back the classic Start menu. Classic Shell is the best one by far, as
    it gives you the choice of 3 variations of the Start menu, the one from Vista/7, the one from XP and
    the original style Start menu used in Windows 95-2000, which is my personal favourite.

Classic Shell is also very customisable, much more so than the others, and it's totally free. Most of the
    other 3rd party Start menu alternatives, such as Start8 by Stardock, are paid programs with free trials.

Although Microsoft are reportedly bringing back the Start menu in a future update for Windows 8.1 in
    a new hybrid form that combines the classic listed menus with the Live tiles from the Start Screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats brilliant, thank you both so much, thats the one I am shall go for then.