Options

Human Universe (Brian Cox)

starrystarry Posts: 12,434
Forum Member
✭✭
Couldn't see a thread, maybe it underwhelmed others like it did me.

The egocentric view of how special humans are and how we have colonised beyond the Earth (we haven't) didn't seem helpful when we basically depend on our planet and the natural world around us. Without that we will become extinct sooner rather than later, and take other species with us along the way. The space theme seemed tacked on, better to concentrate on the Earth.

The one major point he made about climate change causing our brains to grow wasn't really explained fully. And there were a few follow up ideas on water, agriculture and writing that were briefly touched on.

Comments

• Options
    Captain Peac0ckCaptain Peac0ck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Another dumbed down programme for 8 year olds skipping from one thing to another as a weak excuse for Brian Cox to flounce around the world gazing gormlessly at the sky.
    Switched it off after his lame attempt to knock a piece from a lump of glass whilst wearing the biggest pair of protective gloves ever seen in the desert. Even the camels were pissing themselves laughing & they'd not had a drink for two months!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I saw the first few minutes when he was communing with gibbons or something and then l fell asleep (it had been a long day) and l awoke at the end when he was on some capsule retrieval mission. Thing is, what was the bit in between like? Was it coherent or was it confused and jumped from place to random place? Should l be watching it on iPlayer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the camels were pissing themselves laughing & they'd not had a drink for two months!

lol nice one.

The first episode really seemed pretty pointless.

The second one however was definitely an improvement for me. I'm still puzzled why he calls it 'The Human Universe' though, he should call it the Universe of Life. And the second episode actually focusses on life and even just aspects of nature like water/earth in general and not humans, that's why it was better and why he could actually make some scientific points.
  • Options
    RollerbabeRollerbabe Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I liked it, although I did think it was padded out quite a bit , I kept saying 'get on with it'. I don't think it replaces the genius of Carl Sagan's Cosmos, or even Neil deGrasse Tyson's version with the more updated theories. I look forward to the next episode.
  • Options
    sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil deGrasse Tyson's 'The Inexplicable Universe' is on netflix, no babying with that show.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found my attention wandering quite a bit during the first episode but this week's was much better even if it is "Big Science for Dummies".
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The accusation of dumbing down is entirely missing the point. Cox is responsible for university physics admissions increasing by 50%, precisely because he's opened the subject up to the masses and changed the public's perception.

Some on here act as if they run through the Theory of Relativity for light reading. Pure snobbery.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The accusation of dumbing down is entirely missing the point. Cox is responsible for university physics admissions increasing by 50%, precisely because he's opened the subject up to the masses and changed the public's perception.

Some on here act as if they run through the Theory of Relativity for light reading. Pure snobbery.

I like Brian Cox, I think he is trying to do science etc. for Everyman, although (despite the fact that everybody on here is a genius) he loses me sometimes.

One of the best bits about it was that I discovered Carl Sagan (he was quoted at the end of the programme) :

“For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.”

How cool is that! What about this one:

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

:D:D
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Quite enjoyed the episode tonight, although I think I'd have liked to have seen a bit more on searching for life by analysing the light from planets, something we're starting to do and will get better at over the next few years. I think we're much more likely to see evidence of life that way than from SETI.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy this, although I admit I'm far too easily distracted from the TV, so I often find I've lost track of what he's talking about. I caught a fair bit of tonights episode. I liked the shots of Peru - it was interesting (and the chinese lanterns looked pretty) but it felt a bit depressing as well. If civilisations don't last long enough to communicate with one another, does this somehow mean our sense of time is totally different in the galaxy? as in, what, to us, is millions of years, is mere seconds or minutes out in space? so we could 'disappear' in a few minutes and not have made contact with other beings? :(

Science tended to intimidate me but I like most of what I can understand of the show. It was interesting seeing the swab from the camels mouth in last weeks episode and showing it under the microscope - how similar the cells looked, compared to humans. Fairly basic things I can just about understand :blush:

Oh and the dolphins supposedly knowing the answers to the 'less' or 'more' question - well it was always going to be 50/50 wasn't it? lol how do we know they hadn't put food behind the right board or something lol (only kidding).

It must be nice for him to be able to go abroad and visit all these exotic countries. I imagine it looks impressive on a big TV - there are some nice graphics of space and the various countries.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this, more philosophical than scientific really and visually gorgeous - loved the Dolphin segment but would have liked to have known what % of correct answers is?

I agree with Brian's conclusion too - as far as the Milky Way goes we're on our own and always have been!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this, more philosophical than scientific really and visually gorgeous - loved the Dolphin segment but would have liked to have known what % of correct answers is?

I agree with Brian's conclusion too - as far as the Milky Way goes we're on our own and always have been!

Yes he could have mentioned the Fermi paradox which really states the idea that if the galaxy was full of intelligent civilisations then where are they all? You think we might have picked up their version of EastEnders by now. Even if we were to die out our weak radio and TV signals along with other stronger signals beamed to probes would carry on through space for thousands of light years.

Yet we hear nothing. I think we are alone at least in our galaxy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats seriously depressing. How can there be potentially billions of universes but no other form of civilised life?. What about the signal they received in 1977, that they thought could be interpreted as a signal sent out by someone else in space.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Yes he could have mentioned the Fermi paradox which really states the idea that if the galaxy was full of intelligent civilisations then where are they all
    That is the thought he finished the episode on (although he did not mention Fermi).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very human-centric, about whether we will meet other intelligent life to communicate with when what really matters is simply whether there is other life or evidence of the remains of life.

IzzyS - he didn't mention universes I think, it was simply about our galaxy and then the universe we are in. We can't see other universes.

Tiggywink - I think he can lose people as he normally keep it general and so finds it a strain to suddenly explain in more technical detail when it isn't prepared for. In this series though he is keeping it all general.

MR. Macavity - philosophy is arguably what is behind the drive of science anyway, it's about life (including us) and the world we live in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Thats seriously depressing. How can there be potentially billions of universes but no other form of civilised life?. What about the signal they received in 1977, that they thought could be interpreted as a signal sent out by someone else in space.

It was never detected again and without that we will never know.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he could have mentioned the Fermi paradox which really states the idea that if the galaxy was full of intelligent civilisations then where are they all? You think we might have picked up their version of EastEnders by now. Even if we were to die out our weak radio and TV signals along with other stronger signals beamed to probes would carry on through space for thousands of light years.

Yet we hear nothing. I think we are alone at least in our galaxy.

What this doesn't take into account is that the galaxy is 100,000 light years across. If a civilisation at the opposite side of the galaxy had started using radio 1000 years ago from this point in time, we wouldn't know anything about for another 90,000 years due to the time it would take for the signal to travel. In fact, I doubt any radio signals from the opposite side of the galaxy could even make it past the super-massive black hole at the centre.

In reality, we will probably never know either way.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

In view of his conclusion, the whole programme was a bit of a tease.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The conclusion wasn't that we were on our own even though it was presented as 'there is silence we are alone'. A more objective and non-human centric way of looking at it would be there is likely to be/or to have been life out there of some kind, but the likelihood of us having communication with it is very small because of the time factor and the difficulty of interspecies communication.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    as 'there is silence we are alone'
    Which is uncomfortably close to ignoring the usual "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" argument.
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The odds of intelligent life developing an inter-stellar communications technology (radio) are even longer than Brian Cox allowed for.

On earth, only one civilisation - Western Europe - has made the fundamental scientific leaps you need to be able to make your presence known, or detect any possible extra-terrestrials

If it were not for the "DWEMs" our planet would truly be alone in the universe.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The odds of intelligent life developing an inter-stellar communications technology (radio) are even longer than Brian Cox allowed for.

On earth, only one civilisation - Western Europe - has made the fundamental scientific leaps you need to be able to make your presence known, or detect any possible extra-terrestrials

If it were not for the "DWEMs" our planet would truly be alone in the universe.

Yes, I'm most surprised that the BBC didn't force Brian Cox to put that point of view across.... :)

But bear in mind that though the Earth is around 4.5 Billion years old, only within the last 100 years or so have humans become been capable of inter-stellar communication - not even the blink of an eye never mind the vast distances that make even just planets within the Milky Way remote. As the programme pointed out perhaps intelligent life-forms capable of this arise but then self-destruct too quickly for 2 equivalents to be around at the same time to make contact?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Very human-centric, about whether we will meet other intelligent life to communicate with when what really matters is simply whether there is other life or evidence of the remains of life.

IzzyS - he didn't mention universes I think, it was simply about our galaxy and then the universe we are in. We can't see other universes.

Tiggywink - I think he can lose people as he normally keep it general and so finds it a strain to suddenly explain in more technical detail when it isn't prepared for. In this series though he is keeping it all general.

MR. Macavity - philosophy is arguably what is behind the drive of science anyway, it's about life (including us) and the world we live in.

Ah yes, sorry I got the terms mixed up. I had a look at my tweets as I remember tweeting what he'd said at the end. Apparently it was 'There could be 30 billion earthlike worlds in our galaxy!. How can there be no-one else out there? fascinating' well that was my tweet anyway.

I suppose I'd have to look up the difference between a galaxy and a universe - at a guess, there could be multiple galaxies within a universe? if one galaxy can potentially contain 30 billion planets similar to Earth, they must be pretty large(!) :confused:

I'm more interested in the philosophical side of things. Science tends to confuse/bewilder me :blush: I remember one time as a child, I was interested in astrology and maybe joined a club of some sort that sent out newsletters and things but I lost interest as it got too technical.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    ... at a guess, there could be multiple galaxies within a universe? .

That's a bit of an understatement.
  • Options
    3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    There was a picture generated by the hubble space telescope (the Hubble deep field) of what appeared to be a dark part of the universe (from our vantage point)...it was said to contain 3,000 galaxies...and that's just a small fragment of the universe, about one 24-millionth of the whole sky.

Trouble is, they're so far away, which in a way is a good thing otherwise they'd rip apart our galaxy.

A quote that has always stayed with me is, "The universe is not bigger than you imagine, it's bigger than you CAN imagine."