Options

Cerrie Burnell 'Scaring' Children

1235»

Comments

• Options
    the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be some confusion in this thread as to whether we are discussing Ms Burnell's abilities (or lack thereof) as a presenter, or whether we are discussing her physical disability. I dare say there may be some confusion at the BBC too. I don't dismiss out of hand the possibility that there may be some bias in her favour <i>because</i> of her disability but really I don't care.

I don't think there's any confusion.

We were questioning whether she would scare children or not. My point was no, me and and my little girl hadn't even noticed - I did however notice she was a rubbish presenter.

I think it's the BBC making this into a huge deal and perhaps trying to go gloss over the fact she has minimal presenting skills.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    You should worry. Many years ago we were following another family into the local sports centre when my son, then about four, with a voice that couldn't have been clearer had he used a megaphone, chimed in with "that lady's got a very big bottom, hasn't she?"

:cool:

I wasn't trying to be offensive with my re-collection of wht my Mum's friend's son said, I was simply pointing out that when children aren't used to something they'll point it out. Plus the look on the child's mother's face was ACTUALLY quite funny.
  • Options
    grunsongrunson Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    the_phoo wrote: »
    I think it's the BBC making this into a huge deal and perhaps trying to go gloss over the fact she has minimal presenting skills.

I am certainly puzzled about the timing of this story. Why now and not a few weeks ago? I also don't really understand the motivation for it. It seems clear that the vast majority of viewers really aren't at all concerned by Cerrie's disability, and I think we are talking about 99.5% or even higher, and are quite disapproving of the comments of the tiny minority. That seems rather encouraging to me and if there is a story there it is a positive one, not the negative one being put out.

I'd prefer not to think that the BBC could be so cynical as to attempt to gain Cerrie the sympathy vote and make viewers overlook her lack of presenting ability, but it is certainly tempting.
  • Options
    soilhoofsoilhoof Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her presenting skills are fine - it is just more muck aking by Murdoch's British media agencies, ploughing the same furrow as the Ross/Brand incident, but hitting a pebble. Lovely to see The Scum having to interview Cerrie and try and appear they are not retracting while they in fact are.
    Parental complaints may have arisen, but the initial complaints were brewed up by the tabloid that I wouldn't even use as toilet paper.
    I hop Murdoch suffers karmically for the vitriol poured on Ms. Burnell. "Brave" is an adjective all too quickly bandied about, but after Cerrie's reliving of her playground bullying at the hands of these rags, I hope their press offices wither and burn and all their hacks are out in the street.
    If this story didn't make you realise how worthless The Sun is, I do not know what to do to help you.
  • Options
    Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    I had no idea about this story until seeing Cerrie Burnell tonight on The One Show.

How shocking and crass that people could have complained about her appearing on TV.

Very impressed with her report. Hope The One Show use her more often and on non-disabled related stories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magpie11 wrote: »
    I had no idea about this story until seeing Cerrie Burnell tonight on The One Show.

How shocking and crass that people could have complained about her appearing on TV.

Very impressed with her report. Hope The One Show use her more often and on non-disabled related stories.

Good wasn't she. I'm not in the habit of watching children's TV, so I haven't seen her on CBBC, but having seen her tonight I can't understand all the fuss there was on here about her 'supposed' poor presenting skills. Methinks it was a few people using it as an excuse to disguise their own ignorance and prejudice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I first noticed this story a couple of weeks back and I must say it made my blood boil. I was so angry at those that made formal complaints i felt they should be publicly named and shamed. How the hell are we supposed to teach future generations tolerance and acceptance when you've got people like that in the world. :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter and I caught the beginning of the One Show tonight, she's only 2 and all she kept saying was Cerrie, its Cerrie. (Obviously we watch cbeebies sometimes)

She doesn't give two hoots that Cerrie only has one arm. Mind you I've never made a big deal out of it, so I'm not even sure she's noticed.

I thought her article was superb.