Options

Who loves holidays? And where are you going?

BrettLanghamBrettLangham Posts: 1,085
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I love them :D They get me through the week just thinking about them :D I am off to New York in April and Florida next September. Cannot wait

Comments

• Options
    ShevchenkoShevchenko Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to travel and am a teeny bit jealous of where you are going but can never afford it. It is actually a good way of looking at it as it has led me to appreciate the local area more and we gave some stunning countryside and walks around, so a nice walk is like a little mini holiday to me - sad I know :p
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I'm going to Bogner just to prove why I dislike holidays.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    We're off to Scotland next year, probably the highlands, not decided yet.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baton Rouge and New Orleans next year hopefully, and back to Somerset too.
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to our annual Christmas skiing break. It's just a shame this year we have to travel Christmas Eve and come back on New Years Eve due to Christmas Day being a Sunday. Normally when Christmas falls on a weekend the companies do Wednesday to Wednesday holidays but we've not been able to get one this year.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lov holidays, I love the research first and then the looking up the area online .Just back from Madeira this week and now on the hunt for next year .
  • Options
    foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lov holidays, I love the research first and then the looking up the area online .Just back from Madeira this week and now on the hunt for next year .

Madeira is beautiful but not if you are scared of heights.

The roads:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've already had one big holiday and 2 small breaks this year (plus a week at Glastonbury), it's been a great year for holidays. Am planning 3 small weekends away this year to Paris, Aberystwyth and Ypres, then am hoping for another big US holiday in Feb-March 2012, that'll be New York, New Jersey, Washington and maybe a few days in Vegas if I can get the chance.

The dream is to go to Russia, though.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    foonk wrote: »
    Madeira is beautiful but not if you are scared of heights.

The roads:eek:

I know !!! I am scared of heights !!! I spent much of the coach tours looking at the floor of the middle aisle ! OMG ! But once there the views are spectacular and if I could stand back a few yards I was ok .No not for the faint hearted at all , I had one very hairy moment on the Pico de Ariero and the world spun around me .
    But its beautifull and the flowers are wonderful , but they made the mistake of allowing hotels build right down to the waters edge and IMO this had ruined the accessability and its not easy to walk there at all .For that reason I wouldnt go back as we really missed long walks by the sea
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    They're what I live for since giving up work.

Had a wee health scare a while back which concentrated the mind somewhat and so I decided to see a lot more of the world while I'm able.

Have been to Las Vegas, South Africa, London (twice) Madeira, Vegas (again) so far this year, going back to South Africa in November, Dubai for New Year and a Caribbean cruise in February 2012.

Our travel agent was telling me about Star Alliance around the world air tickets, so we're thinking about west coast of USA > Hawaii > New Zealand > Australia > Malaysia then back to London.

My only problem is that I miss the dog terribly, everyone else is on Facebook.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booked to go to Moyvos in Lesbos in June. Want to go away in August as well but haven't decided where to yet
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnycash wrote: »

The dream is to go to Russia, though.

my husband and I were just talking about Russia. Id go to Moscow for a few days but thats about it, Russia doesnt appeal to me, but admittedly Im pretty ignorant about Russia. What is it that attract you?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shevchenko wrote: »
    I'd love to travel and am a teeny bit jealous of where you are going but can never afford it. It is actually a good way of looking at it as it has led me to appreciate the local area more and we gave some stunning countryside and walks around, so a nice walk is like a little mini holiday to me - sad I know :p

I can afford to travel but prefer to stay home.

It's a luxury to sleep in your own bed and just walk to the kitchen to get something out of the fridge. Just having your own fridge is a big deal! And I like self-catering which may or may not be possible on holiday.

It's also nice and cool here [in the UK], and there are no mosquitoes!

And it's so nice just to order things online and know I'll be around when they arrive. And there's 'free' 24-hour internet, nice things on TV, and so many projects to do around the house.

Travel is so stressful anyway with getting up at ungodly hours after two hours' sleep, waiting in queue after queue after queue, then grappling with baggage, language, money and foreign buses and trains. Then doing it all in reverse coming back.

Anyway I've done a bit of travelling (I used to go abroad about once a month) and have little inclination to go anywhere these days. (And I'd have to go alone which is very dull.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to Florida in 5 weeks! So excited! The countdown has begun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »

It's a luxury to sleep in your own bed and just walk to the kitchen to get something out of the fridge. Just having your own fridge is a big deal! And I like self-catering which may or may not be possible on holiday.

And it's so nice just to order things online and know I'll be around when they arrive. And there's 'free' 24-hour internet, nice things on TV, and so many projects to do around the house.

Travel is so stressful anyway with getting up at ungodly hours after two hours' sleep, waiting in queue after queue after queue, then grappling with baggage, language, money and foreign buses and trains. Then doing it all in reverse coming back.

Anyway I've done a bit of travelling (I used to go abroad about once a month) and have little inclination to go anywhere these days. (And I'd have to go alone which is very dull.)

I dont mind sleeping 2 hours and then queueing. Its kind of exciting to think you will be somewhere completely different and new in a few hours. The UK bores me shitless with its weather.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I dont mind sleeping 2 hours and then queueing. Its kind of exciting to think you will be somewhere completely different and new in a few hours. The UK bores me shitless with its weather.

You ever holidayed in the UK? I was an abroad junkie but for the last 4 years we've done UK holidays and I'm a convert.

We did a UK week long holiday for our honeymoon, it was the best holiday we've had in a long long time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You ever holidayed in the UK? I was an abroad junkie but for the last 4 years we've done UK holidays and I'm a convert.

We did a UK week long holiday for our honeymoon, it was the best holiday we've had in a long long time.

I have done many of UK holidays years ago, but we always had a holiday abroad as well. It was fine, but the weather is a little too unpredictable in the UK and the whole family much prefer to visit the States.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »

The travelling is only stressful if you let it be. Have a few beers in the airport and enjoy it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next year, Spain, and Italy.
  • Options
    Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love holidays, aint going anywhere anytime soon though as I cant afford it, last time I went was 3 years ago to Greece/Kos it was lovely, hoping to go next year
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to go with a group of friends to Austria or Switzerland early next year which I'm really looking forward too.
    I have a week off in December but planned to go up north to visit friends & chill out.

As for that not sure. I was lucky when I went to Wales to have hot weather but sadly the trouble with a UK holiday is you need a plan B & I have had many of them in the past.
  • Options
    sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baton Rouge and New Orleans next year hopefully, and back to Somerset too.

God I'd love to go to New Orleans. What I'd really like to do is go to The Presevation Hall and catch a concert. Have seen some of the stuff on You tube and it's amazing.

I'm off to China in November. Our holiday company cancelled the holiday and as we'd already bought flights we're still going- just arranging it ourselves. I can't wait- I need a holiday!

Next year we're going to the Pacific North West. Want to see Vancouver, Seattle, the hotel that was used for the exterior shots of The Shining and a rodeo!
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Athens, just hope their economy can hold out for a few weeks, from what I've read if (when!) they leave the euro it's going to be chaos
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my husband and I were just talking about Russia. Id go to Moscow for a few days but thats about it, Russia doesnt appeal to me, but admittedly Im pretty ignorant about Russia. What is it that attract you?

I'm a history/politics graduate so the history! I also read a fair amount of Russian literature so I'd like to see it for myself. There's just so much to see, and it all looks so beautiful. I especially want to go to the Red Square and also to see Lenin, maybe even a ballet then take the trans-Siberian express to see some of the countryside and into Mongolia. Also I know they like their drink so I'd probably find good company :o

Looks like I'll probably have to go alone which scares me, I remember discussing how I wanted to go about ten years ago but was warned against lone females travelling, now it looks like I have no other choice but to not go :p

If you get the chance definitely go! It's only 5ish hour flight from London, I believe :)
  • Options
    scooby76scooby76 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    we came back from the isles of scilly last weekend, two weeks over there does the world of good, and it's in the uk; with sandy un-crowded beaches (we: myself, the mrs, her brother and his wife) were walking along a beach which is about a half mile long and there was 2 other people on it. (no it wasn't raining either!)

google image search "isles of scilly" and you'll get what we mean about it not being quite like england.....

got to wait for a week off now 'til feb :(